Speed up my vista

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vista PC is always a bit slow, I have just wiped it and it is still a bit slow at doing stuff. My score is 4.1 as this is what the RAM is showing, the other scores are between 4.8 and 5.1 I assume RAM will make it faster, I only have 1GB.
It is a Median PC with core 2 duo processor 6300 @ 1.87GHZ, it was upgraded to vista from XP but I have recently wiped it to make it faster. I have also change the performance to fastest whichh seems to help a bit but looks crap.
Any suggestions and what RAM will I need?

Purchase another 1GB RAM will make a big difference with minimum outlay.

Check how many RAM slots your motherboard has got. Should have 2 slots free for another 1GB.

As above, vista needs 2 Gig minimum to do any real justice, buy 2 1 gig matched pair ram in kit. Why so you have the same latencies etc..
If you have diff ram now than you buy, it could cause you issues..
Also if budget allows, try for 4 gig, 2 2 gig rams..

You can never have enough..

:thumbsup:

As there are no slots free and you will have to purchase new RAM, suggest purchasing 4GB. Two x 2GB matched pair RAM.

I don't think my system will allow 4GB, I though you had to have 64 bit vista for that? I also don't know if my MB will take 4gb???

Just run the Crucial System Scanner and that will tell you exactly what RAM your motherboard will accept.

Mark.

I don't think my system will allow 4GB, I though you had to have 64 bit vista for that? I also don't know if my MB will take 4gb???

If you use 32-bit windows and buy 4Gig you will get the maximum your system will allow, which is around 3.2Gig.

It is cheaper to get 2x2GB to get 3Gig and losing a little in windows 32bit than it is to get 3Gig exactly via buying 2x1GB and then 2x512mb to get 3Gig (in matched dual channel) and you will also be using up all four of your Dimm slots doing it the latter route.

My honest advice would be after upgrading the memory, if you can afford it getting Windows7 Home Premium.

It has all the advantages of vista, but it runs so lite on resources.

+1 for installing 4GB

then if you can afford it in the next few months SERIOUSLY consider Windows 7

+1 for installing 4GB

then if you can afford it in the next few months SERIOUSLY consider Windows 7

I hate vista, how much is w7

I hate vista, how much is w7
What is it you 'hate' about Vista?
When it was first released many people tried to upgrade to it on old hardware that simply wasn't up to the specs required for Vista. Once SP1 was released then most of the stability issues were also resolved, so the main issue people then had was running old software that just wasn't stable on the new OS. The only real complaint I have with it is the resourses it requires to run, ie Vista itself likes to have 1Gb RAM so you really need an additional 1Gb for the apps to use.
However if you do upgrade to W7 then the resources are less of an issue as it will run better than Vista on older hardware. You might be lucky and still be able to find a retail copy of W7 HP for around £70. Or wait and get an OEM copy once it is released, but I doubt the OEM copies will be much less than £70.

Mark.

Vista I find too much of a resource pig..
Not that I can't easily run it, but for every q about why does Vista run sooo slow on my PC and then I ask people, people I used to sell to, people who would ask me advice down the pub, friends, I would say, look at your hardware..
Especially on a laptop...
People want new things without realising why..
Only benefit for me is DX10..
I would have to say Vista has had a very short life..
Good.
I used to use it for work, I spent more time rebooting, and the PC was new, with 2 gig of ram, man did it run like a pig.. Dual Core E4200 from memory or something like that..
What a waste, XP would fly on that system..
Bring on W7...

:thumbsup:

I found it slow and is always accessing the hard drive, prob because of the RAM I have. #I have used everything from Win 95 and I liked XP and 98 SE, all the rest have been a bit crap IMO.

What is it you 'hate' about Vista?
When it was first released many people tried to upgrade to it on old hardware that simply wasn't up to the specs required for Vista. Once SP1 was released then most of the stability issues were also resolved, so the main issue people then had was running old software that just wasn't stable on the new OS. The only real complaint I have with it is the resourses it requires to run, ie Vista itself likes to have 1Gb RAM so you really need an additional 1Gb for the apps to use.
However if you do upgrade to W7 then the resources are less of an issue as it will run better than Vista on older hardware. You might be lucky and still be able to find a retail copy of W7 HP for around £70. Or wait and get an OEM copy once it is released, but I doubt the OEM copies will be much less than £70.

Mark.

I found it slow and is always accessing the hard drive, prob because of the RAM I have. #I have used everything from Win 95 and I liked XP and 98 SE, all the rest have been a bit crap IMO.

Last year I tried Vista for 3 months and went back to XP. Could not get on with the slow response and the locking-up for minutes at a time.

Windows 7 (RC) is much better - less bloated, faster and not so resource-hungry. I'm sticking with Windows 7.

Goodbye XP R.I.P. :)

Alan,R.I.P to XP indeed, I have not doen the migration yet, how ever having used Vista before, I was so glad to hug my XP..

Mod Comment: removed please read the forum rules on what you can and can't post

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom