Speed Query

Chushajo

I apologise if this has been covered before, but I did search and couldn't find and answer.

I'm with sky on the broadband unlimited package. I use a wired connection (15m ethernet cable) and replaced all related wiring in the house prior to switching to sky. They state up to 14Mbps on the website and on speedtest I get 14.72Mbps, however, when downloading (steam, psn, netflix, newsgroups, etc) I get a max of 1.7Mbps.

So my question is, what's going on to cause that massive performance gap?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Do you get 1.7 Mbps (megabits per second) or 1.7MBps (megabytes per second) when downloading? There are 8 bits per byte so 1.7MB/s is equal to 13.6 Mb/s

Well, being perfectly accurate there are slightly more than 8 megabits to the megabyte, so 1.7MBps is actually 14.26Mbps.

(1.7*8*2^20)/(10^6)

Last edited:

Stevenage Neil

Do you get 1.7 Mbps (megabits per second) or 1.7MBps (megabytes per second) when downloading? There are 8 bits per byte so 1.7MB/s is equal to 13.6 Mb/s

Well, being perfectly accurate there are slightly more than 8 megabits to the megabyte, so 1.7MBps is actually 14.26Mbps.

(1.7*8*2^20)/(10^6)

:smashin:

Miss Chief

As I get 20meg and can download at 2MB per second that sounds spot on. Just a bits and bytes mix up.

AVRocky

Connection speed doesn't mean throughput speed. One of the common misconceptions. If you want to know the maximum download speed you can get on a connection, just divide that figure by 8.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Connection speed doesn't mean throughput speed. One of the common misconceptions. If you want to know the maximum download speed you can get on a connection, just divide that figure by 8.

No, the division by 8 is for two different types of measurement rather than the difference between connection (sync) speed and download speed (which is just a few percent).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom