• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speed comparsion DDR2 667 & 800Mhz

kensfishbar

Standard Member
What speed difference in average will I get if I change my memory chips from 667 to 800 Mhz?

My current memory is 512MB 667. I wonder whether I should buy 2x1GB 800Mhz or 2x1GB 667 Mhz. Want to know the extra cost is worth or not when everything else in the computer is the same.

Thanks.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
If you FSB is below 1000mhz, which sounds likely as you only have 512mb RAM, then it is unlikely to make any jot compared to just sticking in more RAM.

I would also say that even if you have a FSB that can handle it, in most cases the diffence is not noticable anyway.

If you plan to upgrade the rest of your system in the near future you could look wait for DDR3 to go down in price and buy some cheaper RAM now to give a quick boost.

I think my advice is just get some more 667 which is very cheap, and you should notice a great improvement in performance.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom