Speed Camera Vans

damo23

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was driving thru Burton On Trent in a 30 zone doing about 34-35 mph. Then i saw a Speed Camara Van parked on the other side of the road.

So im wondering if any one could tell me how they work. I know they use lazers etc.

As far as i know and have seen Vans before, there is normaly a little window on the side or back with a little camara poking out. But no windows were open on it. And the windows were all tinted, so i assume they wouldnt be able to get a good reading or photo thru it.. So im wondering if it is just parked there as a deterrent?!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

I was driving thru Burton On Trent in a 30 zone doing about 34-35 mph. Then i saw a Speed Camara Van parked on the other side of the road.

So im wondering if any one could tell me how they work. I know they use lazers etc.

As far as i know and have seen Vans before, there is normaly a little window on the side or back with a little camara poking out. But no windows were open on it. And the windows were all tinted, so i assume they wouldnt be able to get a good reading or photo thru it.. So im wondering if it is just parked there as a deterrent?!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

No it's not ! Your'e Nicked !

Seriously, you may not hear anything 34-35 is borderline. 30 mph +10% speedo error + 2mph = 35 mph.

You should get ticket in max 14 days, otherwise if you don't hear anything, breathe a sigh of relief !

Which way was the van facing? The camera usually points out of the side or the back window. If the van was parked in the direction of the traffic flow you should be fine.

I agree with Miss Chief.
If the OP was seeing the front of the van, they're not nicking people going in his direction.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I got a ticket when driving in Wales when I was driving AWAY from the van. It was hidden from view (in the direction I was driving) and the only time I saw the van was in my rear view mirror.....did me at 35mph in a 30mph zone. It was right at the entrance to a little town/village, and I'd been doing 60mph and just failed to slow right down to 30mph RIGHT at the sign :rolleyes:

Managed to avoid points by going on a Speed Awareness Course........in Wales.

Not sure if its still true or was ever but was it that if there was a speed camera, trap or something there had to be signs telling you there was a camera ahead or within the next mile?
I went past a van on the m40 few weeks back i think i was 80(ish) not sure if it was speed or tax, either way it been longer than 2 weeks.

Not sure if its still true or was ever but was it that if there was a speed camera, trap or something there had to be signs telling you there was a camera ahead or within the next mile?

There has to be signs, yes.
This can take two forms;

1/ The stretch of road has B+W speed camera warning signs permanently erected, meaning they can turn up any time they want with no additional signage needed.

2/ Where no permanent speed camera signs erected, they have to place temporary ones within a certain distance of the van, facing the direction of the people they're monitoring.

We had one woman at work get caught, and she argued about the lack of warning.
Turns out the road had permanent signs and she'd merely got used to ignoring them.
Basically, if you see one of the below, you cannot moan about being caught at any time.
It could be weeks/months/years before a van comes along, but they don't need to give any other warning of their presence.

Attachments

• speed_cameras_rhs.jpg
    speed_cameras_rhs.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,995
Last edited:
Which way was the van facing? The camera usually points out of the side or the back window. If the van was parked in the direction of the traffic flow you should be fine.

The back of the van was facing towards me! But the window wasnt open so and there was no visible camara. And im sure they would'nt get a clear photo or video thru a tinted window.. So fingers crossed.. Thanks for the reply

The back of the van was facing towards me! But the window wasnt open so and there was no visible camara. And im sure they would'nt get a clear photo or video thru a tinted window.. So fingers crossed.. Thanks for the reply
It could just be a simple ANPR van, nothing to worry about if all your docs are in order.

Ones round my way camera points out the back and the window is usually blacked out, sneaky buggers

Yeah points out of a little window in the main window.. Your right mate, they are sneeky bast@$ds. This van was parked under a tree. Not impressed!

I saw a van parked over on a bridge of the M1 about 2 months ago, made the traffic all stack up all of a sudden - making roads safter eh? Anyway, I couldn't work out if it were a tax van or a speeding van. It had its side door open and something sticking out.

I am probably going to get flamed here, but...

Unlike fixed camera's with road markings the vans only take one picture of you on a road. One picture is not evidence that you were speeding.
When they are set-up they need to be calibrated using another "accurate" vehicle, and before dismantling they need to be calibration checked in the same way. I am assured this is hardly ever done, but even if it is they still only have one picture.
If you receive a speeding notice from a van plead not guilty and ask for copies of the calibration certificates, and also photographic evidence of the speeding offence. This will be the last you hear of the matter, they are happy to just get the money from the people who just bow down.

Let the flames start...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom