Speed and connection problems Home Hub 2

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
I've been having problems with my wifi (Home Hub 2). My d/l speed drops to about 1mb/s and stays there for hours on end. Sometimes it happens at night, other times it happens in the morning. To my knowledge no one else is trying to use my network.

My connection is fine when I'm using an ethernet cable so I'm guessing it's just a problem between my HH2 and my laptop's wireless card:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8D)

Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.1)
Locale: ETSI
Country Code: GB
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140
Wake On Wireless: Supported

To my knowledge my drivers are all up to date.

I've changed the Home Hub from b/g/n to b/g and I've tried changing channels. In the past this has fixed any wifi problems. It's not working today.

These are my BT SpeedTester results:

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
10322 Kbps

0 Kbps 21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 10322 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :12940 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1109 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 11000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 10.63:22.63:66.74 (SBE:NBE:smileytongue:BE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
918 Kbps

0 Kbps 1109 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 918 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1109 Kbps

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 1:46:49
Downstream 12,940 Kbps
Upstream 1,109 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 6.3 dB / 6.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 20.0 dB / 8.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.5 dBm

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Connected via an ethernet cable my speedtest.net results are: ping = 26ms, d/l = 10.61mb/s, u/l = 0.94mb/s.

I'm using something KisMAC (similar to inssider). I'm currently on channel 8, which is at least 2 channels away from anyone else.

After changing channels I have difficulty connecting wirelessly. I'm prompted to enter my WPA key (even though I've repeatedly asked it to be remembered) then I'm told that the connection has timed out. Eventually I can connect but it's so slow it won't load any page.

I've got a Dell laptop running XP and a Macbook running Snow Leopard, both are having the same problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
I'll download inSSIDer. Once installed what should I do? Changing channels doesn't seem to have helped.

beerhunter

Novice Member
I'll download inSSIDer. Once installed what should I do? Changing channels doesn't seem to have helped.
Use it to find out what is going on locally and then choose a channel far away from those in use as possible.

Second, don't assume that your WiFi drivers are up to date. I often had to upgrade drivers when the HH 2.0 first came out because the drivers on machines out there were not up to date.

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
As far as I can tell my Mac drivers are up to date.

This is what inssider's showing:

My network is in orange.

beerhunter

Novice Member
Well you do not appear to be on 8. It looks like 7 to me. I'd give 8 a punt but it's bit crowded round your parts, isn't it?

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
It is a bit busy, isn't it :p

I set the Home Hub to "automatic", it must've switched me to channel 7. I changed to that channel earlier on today and it had no effect.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom