Sounds like they are also gimping the sound by having Atmos only for streaming. This is great marketing tactics, create a disc for a format that only enthusiasts and collectors are buying and then gimp to a level that people won't want to pay for it. I understand they want to drive people to their streaming service but even if they give me Dolby Vision and Atmos on disc I still need to subscribe to see the latest Marvel and Star Wars shows.

Terrible and bizarre strategy.

Sounds like they are also gimping the sound by having Atmos only for streaming. This is great marketing tactics, create a disc for a format that only enthusiasts and collectors are buying and then gimp to a level that people won't want to pay for it. I understand they want to drive people to their streaming service but even if they give me Dolby Vision and Atmos on disc I still need to subscribe to see the latest Marvel and Star Wars shows.

Terrible and bizarre strategy.
Where are you getting that from? :D

REMASTERED IN 4K
NEW DOLBY ATMOS TRACK

:-Heading the technical specs in the press release over on the ‘other forum’!

Where are you getting that from? :D

REMASTERED IN 4K
NEW DOLBY ATMOS TRACK

:-Heading the technical specs in the press release over on the ‘other forum’!
Just went to read comments from the the blu-ray.com forums. It's all speculation at the moment but I could see Disney doing that with Atmos.

Just went to read comments from the the blu-ray.com forums. It's all speculation at the moment but I could see Disney doing that with Atmos.
Yes, I wouldn’t put anything past them in their efforts to drag everyone over to streaming.

Would only be ‘atmouse’ anyway! :D

Have Disney sorted out their Atmos problems of late ?

From Digital Bits Bill Hunt

“Now then, the big news today is that Disney has officially confirmed the much-anticipated 4K Ultra HD release of director Jan de Bont’s Speed (1994) on 5/4. Mastered from a recent 4K scan, the disc will include a new Dolby Atmos sound mix along with high dynamic range in HDR10 format. [Editor’s Note: Disney’s press materials now suggest that only the Digital 4K will have Atmos. We’ve asked the studio for official confirmation and will post an update here when we hear back.]

so if there is no Atmos on the disc I’m not bothering. Looks like we are getting HDR10 though on the disc. Guess we will find out soon.

So confused...

LMAO. No matter to me but, Atmos on Digital but not on disc. WTF!!

That’s basically code for Disney saying, we’ll begrudgingly release a few more movies on 4K but we’re dammed if we’re gonna put much effort into it.

#Boycott Disney :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Finally confirmed specs over at THE BITS website direct from Disney.
HDR10 on the disc and DTS-HD Master Audio
Digital version will only carry a 5.1 Dolby Digital track.

In 1994 at the cinema I can confirm Speed sounded incredible in Dolby Digital (due to the aggressive sound mix!) so do not think 5.1 DD is a problem at all!!

Given what Disney do to Atmos it may not be much of a problem. I’ll wait for reviews though

Given what Disney do to Atmos it may not be much of a problem. I’ll wait for reviews though
Good point. Wall-E was theirs right (where the DTS HD-MA track was much better than the Atmos)?

Assuming that this is now the correct info and I believe it is, then neither an ATMOS (Fox) or atmouse (Disney) remix exists for this.

As always we want the best presentation on disc and now that is what we should be getting. The worst Disney can do is fudge the encode which is highly unlikely unless they send this one to Studio Canal’s authoring house.

We all need to support this one in the hope that it encourages Disney to retrieve some of the other gems now condemned to their dungeon!

Last edited:
UK release now confirmed for 17th May 2021
OP updated.
Hmmmmmm same day we can go back into the pubs !!
Do I stay at home and watch Speed in 4K or go out and get shit faced ?
:clap: :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::clap:

So it's taken me a while to work out what's going on with Blu-ray in this set, the UK are essentially getting the same disc that is already in circulation. The US is getting a new remastered disc with extras.

This is based on pictures of the back cover of Blu-ray that retailers have been using.

Real shame there is no Atmos on this one, not going to bother with this one now

As I already have the Blu Ray from a few years back, not sure whether to preorder or wait till it’s released and the reviews come in before I order, same with Last Action Hero

Disnee live action catalogue UHDs are like unicorns, so this is getting bought day 1. Opted for the steenbok.

So it's taken me a while to work out what's going on with Blu-ray in this set, the UK are essentially getting the same disc that is already in circulation. The US is getting a new remastered disc with extras.

This is based on pictures of the back cover of Blu-ray that retailers have been using.

Indeed. There is perhaps a SLIGHT chance it's sloppy attention to detail on Disney UK's part and that the artwork published to Amazon was compiled in error. To look at it you'd think the Blu-ray for Home Alone included with the UK UHD is the old 2010 disc, when in fact it does actually contain the 2020 remaster for example, so in Speed's case until someone has the actual UK release in hand we may not know definitively. I still wouldn't get my hopes up though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom