RedDevil85

Distinguished Member
Links: Amazon.co.uk - Deff.com - HMV - Zavvi

Release date: 17/05/2021

Speed_4K.jpg

Steelbook option, thread: Speed (Zavvi Exclusive) (4K UHD/Blu-ray Steelbook)

Attachments

• Speed_4K (back).jpg
    Speed_4K (back).jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Not a huge fan but I'll bet there will be many people after this one.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Will wait for reviews before ordering but great These films are coming to UHD

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I've got a lot of time for Speed, but this is the kind of film I'd be looking forward to more if it had been announced by Studiocanal alongside their raft of Carolco action flicks from the 80s/90s which got exquisite treatment.

Still, you never know, maybe this will be the start of an impressive run of Disney 4K flicks from their fox back-catalogue where they've gone over and above to bring fond favourites to the format... too much to ask for?

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Good film.

Not the greatest fan (though Sandy looks amazing in this) but will have to purchase. Frankly astonished that this is coming to 4K from the hateful house of mouse.

nickkuk

Well this is a surprise. It had already been finished ages ago by Fox Home Entertainment and was canned during the Disney takeover, I'm still sceptical this will get a release due to Disneys focus on D+ but would be really pleased if it does get a physical release and hopefully it would be the start of a reversal of plans if successful. Aliens and others from Fox catalogue would be great to have on UHD.

Disney aren't the type of company to let a $ slip them by, so maybe they've changed their minds and still see physical releases as profitable and not directly competing with streaming.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
As long as the A/V is of a high standard, we should all buy it.

Disney only think about $$$$ so we have to show them there’s life in the old dog (in this case physical media) yet.

dragontycoon

I've got a lot of time for Speed, but this is the kind of film I'd be looking forward to more if it had been announced by Studiocanal alongside their raft of Carolco action flicks from the 80s/90s which got exquisite treatment.

Still, you never know, maybe this will be the start of an impressive run of Disney 4K flicks from their fox back-catalogue where they've gone over and above to bring fond favourites to the format... too much to ask for?

Disney have been shafting the audio of their releases for ages. And remember when their blu-rays were a thing of beauty, until they became the definition of parsimonious with their physical releases.

Remember, miserly, not stupid.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Our Speed VHS was on a lot when we were kids. I have a lot of love for it. I almost don’t want to ruin it by getting this as I’ve not seen it for years.

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
"Yeah, but I'm taller!!" Stuck with me some reason lol.

4K UHD Fan

Theatrical is not happening for now anytime soon so they have to concentrate on physical again for now. Its not competing with D+ either as neither this nor Heat will make someone suddenly sub to D+ will they!

I just hope the sound is full range full frequency like it was at the cinema in 1994 in Dolby Digital!

If it is full range full frequency then it has the potential to be one of the best sounding 4K UHD's you are ever likely to hear!! Lucasfilm's Skywalker sound did the sound on this & at the cinema you could hear every piece of torn metal screech to an ear splitting crescendo (lift sequence at the start especially is demo material!) & the many explosions had very deep bass & multi directional sound FX which travelled around the cinema in dramatic fashion.

Dolby Digital should be an easy format to translate to Dolby Atmos as long as they do not chicken out & reduce the frequencies that is!

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
An enjoyable film ... the best part for me is the tremendous music score by Mark Mancina a la Bad Boys / Con Air ... a great music score both in the film & as stand alone music.

kungfuman

cant wait to get this one - been waiting for the 4k release for a while. Watched this loads when I had the VHS copy.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
An enjoyable film ... the best part for me is the tremendous music score by Mark Mancina a la Bad Boys / Con Air ... a great music score both in the film & as stand alone music.

I do like the score and I wish he hadn’t recycled it for Bad Boys. Kind of like when James Horner ripped off his 48 Hours score wholesale for Commando.

Speed is still a great action movie and possibly the best of the Die Hard on A..... sub genre of films that were prevalent in the 90s and 2000s. I watched it with my boys in the 2020 lockdown and they loved it. They found Hopper’s Howard Payne simultaneously annoying and hilarious.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
See that’s almost my Top 5 ever action movies

1. Die Hard
2. Speed
3. Con Air
4. Lethal Weapon
5. Bad Boys

Moonda

See that’s almost my Top 5 ever action movies

1. Die Hard
2. Speed
3. Con Air
4. Lethal Weapon
5. Bad Boys
Good list. But what about Face/Off!

mazon27091

Con Air what a great guilty pleasure, Nicholas Cage at the height of his career. The Rock too in fact I'd love to see The Rock in 4K with Atmos.

scrowe

Distinguished Member

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
I’d have to concur about The Rock ... that is s as cracking film with an equally fantastic music score ... I also like Broken Arrow but that would not make the top 5

PlexShaw

Speed is my favourite action film and probably the one I have seen the most times in total. A day one purchase for me. :thumbsup:

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
I've now got the Speed OST playing in my car on repeat :)

Frickin awesome !

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 12th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Bluesound unveils new generation of Node and Powernode audio players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim launches Uniti Atom Headphone Edition