Speed 4K UHD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I mean I love this film but still haven’t been won around to older movies looking good in 4K. Maybe will have to give this one a go!

Got it ready to spin in an hour or so.

I remember getting this on widescreen VHS as one of the first purchases after getting my Toshiba Widescreen TV with Dolby Surround.

I had a midweek day off, remember closing curtains , turning off the lights.

As soon as it finished I rewound it and watched it again. And in the evening I watched it fir a 3rd-time.

One of the best paced movies ever that never lets up interchanging action, dialogue, wit, that just keeps going right up until the end.

Its a tick against my top 5 action movies of all time. With Die Hard, and Bad Biys already released, all we are now waiting for is Con Air and Lethal Weapon.

Don’t forget The Rock
Hopefully we’ll see tge back-catalogue releases contnuing, all the Die Hards, Lethal Weapons, and Aliens are well overdue.

We watched the disc yesterday and I totally agree with your review. It’s a great film and looks utterly spectacular. Really enjoyed it. Dennis Hopper really is superb, as all are.
Another catalog release that gets full marks.

Got it ready to spin in an hour or so.

I remember getting this on widescreen VHS as one of the first purchases after getting my Toshiba Widescreen TV with Dolby Surround.

I had a midweek day off, remember closing curtains , turning off the lights.

As soon as it finished I rewound it and watched it again. And in the evening I watched it fir a 3rd-time.

One of the best paced movies ever that never lets up interchanging action, dialogue, wit, that just keeps going right up until the end.

Its a tick against my top 5 action movies of all time. With Die Hard, and Bad Biys already released, all we are now waiting for is Con Air and Lethal Weapon.
I had The Widescreen 32" Tosh with built -in Dolby Digital surround.
What a great telly that was !

I had The Widescreen 32" Tosh with built -in Dolby Digital surround.
What a great telly that was !
It was, but also plagued with geometry and green tint issues, at least mine was.

I mean I love this film but still haven’t been won around to older movies looking good in 4K. Maybe will have to give this one a go!
Nooooo! Speed can't be referred to as an "older movie" Jaws is the cut off. Jaws is modern and any movie released before Jaws is old.
If Speed is old that would make me old and that can't be! :)

Over watched this as a teenager and not watched it since. So glad I picked this up, the A/V is absolutely top draw, best it’s looked and sounded and what a fun film, it still works. Keanu’s line deliveries are still hilarious and Hopper is wickedly OTT. Love it.

Last edited:
Must give this a look. Years since I watched it.
Speed 2 though - that was awful!

Last edited:
Been ages since I last saw this, 20-25 years maybe on DVD. I might pick it up when it’s in a 2 for £30 deal or something.

Thanks for the review Cas.

My US copy is on it's way to me so hopefully i can see it next week :)

I thought that was The Big Bus?
I wonder if it would have been more popular coming after Speed, as Airplane was a spoof on Airport. As it was it even came out before Airplane.

P.S. spot Odo as a priest.

Thank You Cas,

This and point break really let KR shine IMO, He is perfectly suited to the roles.

Purchased this on iTunes a couple of months back in the sale, Looks like I have got a free 4K upgrade :D

The movie that launched Keanu's career great movie with a demo worthy DTS Soundtrack ......Back in the day that is....even from the start of the movie l always remember the lift scene with the surrounds in full flow as the camera ascends up the lift shaft....as when Denis Hopper starts his terrorism onslaught....through to the Bus...scenes great direction by De Bont but never will l be fooled into buying a 4k disc again without a fully remastered DTS-X/Dolby Atmos surround track....they are just not worthy of the price tag...............ATMOS/DTS-X are a must for me for me now when purchasing a 4k disc
Sparechange did'nt rate it that great either...that's enough for me

I watched this and then Last Action Hero straight after, while Speed is a far superior film IMHO the difference between the upmixed DTS for this my receiver was producing and the Atmos on LAH was enormous.

I know the standard approach to catalogue Fox titles (Alien/Predator/Die Hard/X Men etc) has been to leave the existing audio intact but I still think it’s a bit of a wasted opportunity.

Last edited:
The movie that launched Keanu's career great movie with a demo worthy DTS Soundtrack ......Back in the day that is....even from the start of the movie l always remember the lift scene with the surrounds in full flow as the camera ascends up the lift shaft....as when Denis Hopper starts his terrorism onslaught....through to the Bus...scenes great direction by De Bont but never will l be fooled into buying a 4k disc again without a fully remastered DTS-X/Dolby Atmos surround track....they are just not worthy of the price tag...............ATMOS/DTS-X are a must for me for me now when purchasing a 4k disc
Sparechange did'nt rate it that great either...that's enough for me
Point Break launched his action movie career!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom