Spectre Picture Quality ?

silouette

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Was it just my experience or did anyone else feel that the PQ of Spectre seemed very undwerwhelming ie soft,lacking both saturation and shadow detail, maybe this was an intentional style of image to create a certain mood.
I think it was shot on film, but surely that would not account for such low contrast.

Course could just have been the multiplex that I visited ?

It was shot on 35mm and some select scenes on the Arri Alexa 65. Skyfall was shot on the Alexa throughout so there is much to distinguish between the two movies visuals.
I think you mean to describe Spectre as high in contrast. Certainly was to my eyes. There was much more of a classic approach to the grade and look of Spectre. For me a wide dynamic range is usually what gives away digital as digital, so I quite liked the throw back look. It was the overall sharpness that seemed lacking to me however.
To be honest standards vary so wildly from cinema to cinema, for me going to the cinema has long since been about sacrificing PQ for seeing a movie at release. It's shameful the money we have to pay considering our living room experience is an infinitely better choice.

I guess it must have been my cinema.
I was down south in an unfamiliar picture house.
But yeah contrast was definitely low and shadow detail disturbing grey.
Indeed the pq probably my overall critical impression of the film as lack lustre.
My experience of Skyfall in my Usual Multiplex had been much better.
But yes l will be looking forward to seeing it on my system. Shame l can't manage a 100ft screen.

Last edited:
I watched in last night in X-Plus and thought it lacked sharpness and detail. There was noticeable film grain in some scenes too. It looked artificially soft, so maybe that was the directors intention? Wasn't a bad movie, preferred the previous Mendes movies.

Thought it was just me. I'm no expert but to my very untrained eye it looked way to soft.
I saw at the Chichester imax and it was not with the money. They seemed to think that turning up the volume to eleventy twelve would cover up the fact that their setup was very poor.

Watched at the BFI. The colour was mostly okay, perhaps the overall brightness was a bit low, but it definitely looked soft to me and there was some odd focussing generally. E.g with Bond standing just behind Monica Bellucci being out of focus in a not particularly aesthetic way.

I thought the same. Most of the indoor scenes seemed unnecessarily dark, and some looked out of focus. I guess it was intentional, but I found that distracting.

Watched at the BFI. The colour was mostly okay, perhaps the overall brightness was a bit low, but it definitely looked soft to me and there was some odd focussing generally. E.g with Bond standing just behind Monica Bellucci being out of focus in a not particularly aesthetic way.
Think that was just Shallow depth of field and unavoidable,I bet they tried alternatives.

Will be interesting to see what the blu-ray quality is like to see if offers an improvement.

Just seen the trailers on You Tube, and yes the PQ is much better than my cinema experience so I'll just shut up. I know the film process is a labour of love and I hate being too critical.
Maybe a digital projection on the Massive screen could not do it justice.
I look forward to seeing it on Blu Ray, and apologies to Sam..

Picture quality was absolutely fine at my local in Sutton. Shame the same can't be said for the film itself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom