1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpectraRTA132

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by chrisgeary, May 16, 2004.

1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I have this on eval at the mo.. seems to work well.. does anyone know how to use it properly? :laugh:

I have the digital radioshack meter.. i have told it to use the compensation table for it, meter is weighting C and slow. When I do sweeps, the top end doesnt register at all.. ie above 500hz or so. Shouldn't I see an even response across all frequencies?

cheers

CHris

2. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    First of all, I would mainly use "Pink Noise", not sweeps. I would select "C"-weighing, the right spectrum/dB-intervals, Averaging to "Infinite", choose a Generator, and press "Run" on the main screen. I have found no immediate use for doing sweeps, but the spectrogram was kinda neat.

note: Beware that the 'Narrowband' feature shows an unweighted spectrum.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be sure you have inputted the mic compensation chart correctly...it is easy to invert it.

Also, be sure your computer soundcard isn't set up to do anything "strange" to the input...a lot of soundcards default to stuff like "3-D stereo synth effect" and weird things like that.

Running the spectra self calibration routine might turn up something a little off kilter too,

Tom V.

4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    thanks.. ill try all your suggestions in the next couple of days!

cheers

Chris

5. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If you run out of trial period you could also try out their older product (SpectraPlus!), which comes with another 30 days trial period! :laugh:

6. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Here are the results i have obtained:

svs3.gif is the excel spreadsheet, which to my humble ears, looks and sounds about right.

rta-uncomp.jpg is using spectrarta132 and its default settings. i modified them as reflected in settings.gif (only remove the compensation bit). rta2.gif was using the compensation figures, but inverted (radshack-sub-inv.mic) and rta3.gif used the comp figures normally (radshack-sub.mic). looks wrong eh.

attached are the mic files.

in all cases a truck load of background noise was picked up from the spl meter, the lower line when no audio was output from the speakers. and it fell off to 20khz, which surely isnt right either. i used the pink noise (unlimited) test from DVE on the centre channel using the 2.0 soundtrack, playing it from the left and right speakers.

so i guess mostly its right, but its not wholly correct. i guess this could be a deficiency of the mic input? i didnt use its inbuilt generator, ruling out deficiencies in the output of the computer. whadda ya think?

Attached Files: