• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Spectral pre-amps versus Bryston

RonCH

Hi,

The brand Spectral has come up a couple of time when I've been reading about preamps. Does anyone have any experience with these Americian amps? How do they compare with Bryston preamps? In particular how does the Bryston BP26 compare to the Spectral DMC 15 G2? And lastly has anyone paired Spectral preamps with Bryston power amps?

Thanks in advance

Ron

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
And lastly has anyone paired Spectral preamps with Bryston power amps?

Funny you should ask that. I have a Spectral DMC-10 running a pair of PMC OB1i speakers via a Bryston 4BSST.

Here is an internal shot, isn't she a beauty?

50655530_o97n9-O.jpg

I don't really have much experience with any other Spectral gear other than the DMC-10 I have at the moment. I basically got it for nothing from a customer of mine who was getting rid of it and it has stayed in my system ever since. It really is a remarkable preamp and I would be loath to replace it with anything else.

Last edited:

idbrunt

I did listen to the Bryston 14 B SST when I was looking for a stereo power amp for my hifi set up a few years back but was very disappointed. It was very flat and sound stage wasn't good at all. I was quite surprised as they'd had very good press but all goes to show you need to listen with your own ears to make a judgment. (Ended up buying Chord amps which were fantastic though expensive). A couple of years ago I did hear one of the Spectral amps and they were good but again not cheap. I'd recommend a dem.

RonCH

Funny you should ask that. I have a Spectral DMC-10 running a pair of PMC OB1i speakers via a Bryston 4BSST.

Here is an internal shot, isn't she a beauty?

50655530_o97n9-O.jpg

I don't really have much experience with any other Spectral gear other than the DMC-10 I have at the moment. I basically got it for nothing from a customer of mine who was getting rid of it and it has stayed in my system ever since. It really is a remarkable preamp and I would be loath to replace it with anything else.

:)

It looks great. I've just realised that Spectral don't have a dealer there in Switzerland. Shame. So, I think that I'll keep looking down the BP26 path. Any other ideas for pre-amps comparable to the Bryston? I've got two 7BSSTs as power amps.

Cheers

Ron

RonCH

I did listen to the Bryston 14 B SST when I was looking for a stereo power amp for my hifi set up a few years back but was very disappointed. It was very flat and sound stage wasn't good at all. I was quite surprised as they'd had very good press but all goes to show you need to listen with your own ears to make a judgment. (Ended up buying Chord amps which were fantastic though expensive). A couple of years ago I did hear one of the Spectral amps and they were good but again not cheap. I'd recommend a dem.

I'm really surprised to hear you say that. My impression of Bryston power amps is the exact opposite: incredible sound stage and unbelievably precise (which I find incredible for such powerful amps).

idbrunt

I was surprised too but it was a brand new unit and although the dealer had warmed it up before the dem maybe it hadn't had enough time to "open up". To be fair they were also up against Chord 1400E mono blocks which were over twice the price (but superbly transparent) and once I'd heard these there was no going back.

If you can demo the Bryston's (preferably at home with your own system), I'd certainly do so -you may have a better experience than me. Don't let me put you off.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom