1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Specs for HL2?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by liamjf, Nov 16, 2004.

1. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi, upgraded my PC to Athlon 64 3000 and 6800LE graphics card but looking at minimum specs on pre release box it looks like I need a DVD drive! I gues they're not too expensive these days - It also says that I need an internet connection - well my PC doesn't have internet (just at work) so will I be able to play this game? Going to the US next week - any problem with buying it there? (I figure it will be cheaper!)

Thanks a lot guys, Liam.

2. amped2go

amped2go

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hey Liam,
    I think your machine specs are sufficient but as you say it is either via steam on ADSL through the internet or by purchasing a copy of the game at a shop, which I think only comes on DVD.
    Quick search on a couple of online shops reveals a huge amount of IDE DVD/CDROM drives at £16 inc. VAT and I'm sure you could halve that price in the US or even go to a computer fair in London and pick a used one up for a fiver. So no excuses then eh.

Regards.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    If you buy the retail version you'll still have to activate the game online to decrypt the game files installed off the dvd. Once decrypted and activated you should be able to play the single player in offline mode. I really suggest you get an internet connection for your pc at home so you can take advantage of the excellent game called counter strike source:) I think you may be able to pick up a 6 cd version from the states which will negate you having to buy a dvd drive;)

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,377
    In the US the game comes on 5 CDs but I would get a DVD-Rom Drive as they are so cheap now and seem to the standard now.

Also you have to have an internet connection on the computer you are installing Half Life 2 on as it needs to connect to Steam to activate.

5. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hang on! Are you saying I need to buy a modem, buy a 20m phone cable, pay for a ISP, sign up, log on to ISP, connect to Valve site and download decryption files for a non online game that I've already paid for? That's ridiculous! I don't mind getting a DVD drive but retail tactics like that is just going to encourage people to search for illegal cracked copies just so they can play! To Valve have any official line on this?

:mad: Liam.

6. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think they've done it to try and avoid people being able to play cracked copies!

7. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fairness it will have the opposite effect theres semi working cracked copy out now which requires NO steam installed or net connection, once the proper 100% working version comes out then it will be the same,

So all these people who cant play as they have no net will just pirate it

they will lose more sales this way then by adding no protection to the game atall

Very bad business from Valve i am afraid

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    I agree it's a very poor move from Valve. The game will be cracked & like you say all of the people who are UNABLE to play the legal version will just get a cracked copy. Most people would buy the game anyway as it's a great game.

If it was an online game then it would be different as then you'd need an internet connection to actually play the game but to have an online only registration is stupid.

I'm ok myself as i've got broadband but some people don't even have dial up.

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think out of ANY game released in the last 5 years Half life 2 would be THE game a guy who normally pirates games would actually buy

Surely valve must of known this, but then they go and stuff up by this registration crap

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    Exactly! I'd say that most people who do pirate games do so if it's a game that they are unsure of and want to try out or ones that they feel are OK but don't warrant a purchase. There will always be some people who just pirate everything but they are probably in the minority i'd hope!

HL2 is a no brainer for most people though and unless the full game had been leaked early I wouldn't have thought that many people would have pirated it.

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I disagree there are plenty of people out there who just pirate so they don't have to pay. The whingeing that went up when Starforce 3 came out and they confirmed Doom3 would use it was unbelievable, just do a google on Starforce 3 and see all the forum threads from nefarious sites.

I think this was a bold move by Valve, and tbh I would have thought that 90% of PC Gamers have a net connection. I personally had an excellent experience, I have been downloading it little by little the last couple of months and it was ready to play bang on the dot.

If you think the STEAM problems are bad, you should have seen it the first couple of weeks it was released, I was at that screaming and cursing, and it stopped me playing CS as I couldn't be bothered to deal with Steam.

Now I believe that STEAM is one of the best gaming services, it delivers my games, allows me to play them offline or online and everything is driven by the same underlying engine.

I don't believe there is any difference between requiring a minimum of Pentium 3 processor or requiring a net connection. It simply is a requirement of the game.

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    Yes but this won't stop piracy of the game though, all it does is annoy some people who wish to play it offline. If you take your laptop somewhere where there's no net connection and you want a game you're stuffed. My gripe isn't regarding how good the Steam system is, more that yet again the legit users of software are once again punished by, in this case having to be online when they play. Those with cracked copies will be free from all of this. I agree that around 90% of people will be online with PC's but not this many will have broadband, you then have the situation where someone may be on a phone call so you can't play the game until they're finished. Also 10% of PC owners is still a large amount of people who effectively can't play this game legally.

13. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    You can play STEAM in offline mode, so there is not an issue as long as you simply register the game online once.

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=faq&id=1050915505,27362300,1050915714,91503900

I think it will help piracy and this is one step forward, the next step is when broadband connections are fast enough, they have to stream files from the provider, even if it is only some small files.

People will eventually get around it, but the more complicated you make it the more people will not be bothered to try and copy it.

What people with cracked copies don't gain is the ability to update via STEAM and get more content. They did release a cracked version of CS:Source, but you could only play it on LAN, which defeats the whole purpose.

I don't think there is a way currently to stop the hacking, you only have 2-3 people most probably coding the security, but you have millions trying to crack it.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    Yeah I agree that the future is the pay per play route and if you only have to register HL2 once online then that's a lot better.

15. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    and...the thing is I think there is bound to be more downloadable content to the Half Life 2 story in the future

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Would be great if you could pay by chapter or better still they came free :)

Some of the current chapters in HL2 are absolutely awesome and will get played through again :)