1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

specifying your own sky+ installation??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by samjet, Oct 19, 2005.

1. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    as i'm thinking of getting sky + i've read a few threads etc but there seems to be a great deal of variance in the standard of installation and equipment used

having spoken to a friend with an electrical company he has said i can use his regular sky installer and specify what i want - so

a) should i insist on a pace box as opposed to amstrad etc

b) what cable would be best - run length approx 18m

c) neighbours with standard dish have poor reception in bad weather - should i have a 600mm zone 2 dish

any other add on's or tweaks you can suggest to get max pq etc

thanks

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Even Sky's own installers do not have a choice of which box they are supplied with - they are allocated by Sky. The only way that you will be able to specify your own installation is if you buy the stuff "off the shelf" at an unsubsidised price, and pay an installer to fit it. If you order through Sky, it's "pot luck".

3. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks nick

in my case however, i have been told that a can specify what i want (will check up on the box question)

so my query ref cabling /connections etc and dish type are still relevant - almost the same as buying from other sources

4. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    come on guys :lease:

i need to give the specification to the installer on thurs/friday

somebody must have cable/dish size recommendations + other tweaks :confused:

5. bigpeterlg

bigpeterlg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as nick said the engineers don't have a choice of which boxes they get for the customers.

personally i would recommend the pace box.

the zone 2 dishes are carried as standard by an engineer as they mainly used zone 1.

you would have to check with sky the afternoon before the installation to ensure that the engineer had one for the job.

the engineer will assess with you the cable routing, so make sure you mention about bad reception at your neighbours as he she will take it into consideration, but be prepared if they get in onto a bracket or lashing kit on a chimney as this will incur extra expense.

if you are looking to specify the equipment and exact way it is installed, the best way is to seek an independant, sky will be able to tell you how to do this and the phone book is full of people able to do it.

6. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as dish and cables go,if your friends installer is doing the job as long as the dish is correctly aligned and fitted a normal zone 1 dish will work fine.Ask him to fit a Thomson quad and use either two runs of CT100 or a single run of CT63 dual cable.With a run of just 18m either will be OK.

7. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks very much for the help - now can specify dish and cable - box should not be a problem either

perhaps initially i should have made it clear that the installer is an independent (nothing to do with sky) hence why i have the chance to specify the equipment etc

thanks again

8. nhart

nhart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    samjet,

Watch out for that Pace box. I had Sky+ installed about a year ago and during the first 12 months, had 3 replacement boxes - all were Pace. Finaly, I insisted on having an Amstrad unit and since then, no problems.

The Pace box suffered from an Input Burn Out on one of the Satellite feeds, then a Corrupted Hard Drive anfd finaly, the transformer packed up.

Not sure if there are any technology dirrerences between the Pace and Amstrad units? To my eyes and ears, there seemed to be little difference in sound or picture quality. The Hard Drive was a little noisier though.

Also, watch out for re-conditioned boxes when you take delivery. I have been told that all 3 of my knackered Pace Boxes will be sent back to the manafacturer, fixed, and then returned to Sky for re-use.

N

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Amstrad better than Pace ? I think 95% of the people on these forums might not agree :)

Given a choice, I would go for a Pace V2 box every time.

10. nhart

nhart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick UK.

I know what you mean. But 3 Pace boxes went wrong and I'd rather watch something on an OK box rather than nothing on a great box.

Maybe I was just unlucky.

Out of interest, what are the spec differences between the two boxes? I have searched for this on the Forum but can't seem to find a thread dealing with the matter.

N.

11. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    nick could you please give me a link to the V2 box as i cannot find it on the pace site :confused:

from the pace site the 'latest' pace box for sky+ is TDS470N(sky+2.5) :confused:

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I don't think you're going to find the Pace 3100 (V2) anywhere (other than second-hand on Ebay) because the Pace PVR-3 is now the current model.