1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Specific SubWoofer isolation in apartment.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cheekie, Feb 10, 2003.

1. cheekie

cheekie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

First post to this forum, and although I've searched the archives for an answer, there seems to be alot of conflicting info. So i'm being very specific on my situation....

I want to try to reduce the noise heard by my downstairs neighbour caused my by 5.1 subwoofer.

The construction of the apartment is 6 inch concrete floor with 1/2inch underlay and thick carpet (~1/2 inch). The guy belows' ceiling is plasterboard with 1.5 inch gap to the concrete above.

The subwoofer sits near to a flat wall on the carpet and the port fires into the room. The cabinet (14 x 9 inch) has no feet/spikes etc and is of chipboard construction.

So, whats the best solution here - is it put spikes on the bottom of the cabinet, which some people seems to recommend, or is it the concrete slab?

Really want to get this sub into action after hearing it (albeit queitly), so all advice is very welcome.

Thanks...

2. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in a similar situation except in a house conversion so the floor is hollow (worse). I have the sub sitting on spikes on top of a slate slab. I can't guarantee they don't hear anything downstairs, but it certinly doesn't disturb them (yes, I have asked!). I don't tend to go for big volume boomy effects, but the sub is certainly noticeable.

In your case, start with a decent set of spikes, that should make the most difference I would have thought.

3. cheekie

cheekie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, i'll try it out and let you know the results...