Specific macro and nutritional advice

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GuitarGuy, Aug 4, 2012.

1. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    ok 18 year old, medically classified as over weight but i get away with looking a lot slimmer than I am :p

stats:

weight: 90kg or for imperial knowers thats 14.2 stone around about 200 pounds

height: 180 cm / ~5'11" / ~71 inches

ok so basically my bmi comes up around 26 so not too far out, looking to get down to about 10.5 - 11.5 stone over the next 12 months, first up is this realistic? secondly, is going for a 2 mile run (pushing hard all the way round because its relatively short) 3 times a week and 3 resistance sessions with resistance bands a week going to be enough to make that kind of thing happen with healthy eating?

now the main focus of this thread, the healthy eating, i have a bunch of recepies all over the internet. as a charity fund raiser i get several breaks through the day at around 2 and a half to 3 hour intervals, meaning i can probably fit 5 meals into my day, breakfast in the morning around 7, mid morning meal would then be around 9:15/9:30 lunch at 12, afternoon meal about 3 ish and then dinner around 7. ok so thats that, I want to do it that way because it means im not snacking on junk. plan is to do my routines when i get home in the evenings, with protein shakes being considered. got myself a heartrate monitor to track myself during my run which is helpful to let me know when im pushing too hard or slacking, im 18 and i aim for a working heart rate of around 160, is that too high or low?

as for the nutrition itself, what sort of ratios should i be looking at for percentage grams of protien to carbs to fats? plan is to cut sugar entirely except maybe 1 or two bananas here and there. love the things and they send me bouncing off the walls! :L

thanks for reading through all that, was a massive wall of text I know, i crashed out last time because of exam stress and revision time but this time, no excuses. if i can get some real progress in the first 2 months before I start uni, thats all the motivation i need to keep kicking myself up the bum to get out there and get moving! rain or shine im gonna stick to this this time! :D

(also any advice on a waterproof case of some sort for my iphone as Id like to use it to track my run but dont want to risk damaging it)

2. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,065
    I've never tried to over complicate things with macros etc just stuck to how many calories i'm eating and the type of food i'm eating. In just over 4 month I've lost 3st 8lb so what you want to achieve mate is possible.

3. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    well thats good news to start off :) and I find that I need some regidity to a routine otherwise i deviate too much and drop out entirely...... not good! :thumbsdow

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,577
    More than realistic
    Depends on your fitness level. Sometimes it is better to aim for a distance and keep striving to improve your time (without "racing"). Or set a time and aim to increase the distance achieved within that time. As fitness naturally improves, the above will fall away and you will set new bigger goals
    This sounds like you vaguely know about HR training but have picked a random number. Only it is high, never mind for someone starting out. As you want to burn fat, you want to aim for the aerobic zone, approx 70% of your max hr (depending on which guide you read)
    No, no and no. Just because it is marketed at gym goers does not make something "good". So is Lucazade but it is full of sugar which if not burnt off quickly turns into fat. Unless you are prepared to put a shift in then protein shakes are excessive and will merely enhance your gut and the bank balance of the brand you buy

5. O'ren Ishii

O'ren Ishii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Have a look at this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/health-fitness/1623279-kris-gethin-hardcore-12-weeks.html a few of us on here are either doing this or have done it.
    If you want a rigid plan that gives you all the information you need (workout/cardio/nutrition/supplementation) broken down daily you really cant go wrong. It's only 12 weeks and it's a brilliant plan that can also be the building blocks of a long term plan.

I actually have 1 day to go, it's been tough but well, well worth it. I will be posting pictures in the next few days so you can see the changes that happened with me. Chances are at your age you may also have better results (I'm 37).

I'm now thinking about next steps and what I want to do going forward. I wish you good luck with whatever you do but once you start something stick to it and be disciplined as it will be tough.

6. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    First up thanks for the positivity, this is what I love :D

ok so Steve:
    more than realistic - awsome thats music to my ears :)

Depends on your fitness level. Sometimes it is better to aim for a distance and keep striving to improve your time (without "racing"). Or set a time and aim to increase the distance achieved within that time. As fitness naturally improves, the above will fall away and you will set new bigger goals - well Im very unfit right now, but i was doing that run in around half an hour once upon a time, just put the route into google maps and it turns out thats a 3.8 mile run! id never have believed it if someone told me that :s

This sounds like you vaguely know about HR training but have picked a random number. Only it is high, never mind for someone starting out. As you want to burn fat, you want to aim for the aerobic zone, approx 70% of your max hr (depending on which guide you read) - how do i work out my maximum? i have 160 as thats what i got told by my pe teacher once and thought that was all there was to it?

No, no and no. Just because it is marketed at gym goers does not make something "good". So is Lucazade but it is full of sugar which if not burnt off quickly turns into fat. Unless you are prepared to put a shift in then protein shakes are excessive and will merely enhance your gut and the bank balance of the brand you buy - well ok, if you say so :p works out better for me! :D

O'ren:

the 12 week hardcore thing does look interesting, but as im going from 0 to hero here that seems a bit extreme as a starter, i had a crack at p90x once and that sat me back down again battered and sore all over in just 3 days...... never sweated so hard in my life! ill consider that after my inital weight loss and see if i can get down to six pack abs and all :D wont do the supplements though, that stuff is crazy expensive!

7. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
  8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,577
    There are loads of sites which allow you to input results, e.g. Heart Rate Training Zone Calculator (this is a random click from Google, I have no experience of the site or the software)

Alternatively once you have obtained your hr monitor, go out for a max effort run lasting a few minutes. Rest for few minutes gentle running and then repeat the max run. The theory being your heart is working harder on the second run. Note the max hr reading to avoid having to restart ;)

9. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    based on that my max heart rate is 199
    so id guess that mine would be around 140 for training?

10. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    ok so had my first run today to give it a go, ran the 3.8 mile circuit in 26 minutes 45 seconds. so not too bad, thats an average of a 7 minute mile