Specific cam requirements for a split-screen project.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by WorldOfWires, Feb 21, 2013.

1. WorldOfWires

WorldOfWires
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for a good quality HD cam which is a good all-rounder but importantly, a few features for an upcoming project would be very useful.

I need to tripod it and lock all variables (focus, zoom, colour stuff and other changes to the picture the camera might automatically make). It definately needs to be able to start by remote control (so as not to jerk the tripod) but it would be excellent if I could power it up and down by remote without (again) any changes to the focus, zoom, etc.

I have a new macbook pro with firewire 800 and use FCPX. My budget is around 500 GBP. The two models I like the look of are:
    * Sony CX360VE
    * Panasonic HDC-SD900
    But I don't know a great deal about these things. Yet.

Thanks,
    John :thumbsup:

2. Bob++

Bob++

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Most high end camcorders have remotes but they tend only to work from the front (though you can use a mirror.

The Panny will allow you to lock down all the variable but I am not familiar with the Sony.

Just a heads up - some people report problems with editing HD on a MAC - Most of us use PCs. Firewire won't help - best thing is an SD card reader, but you can get an adaptor to USB.

3. doug_1986

doug_1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Heya,

Just to note, people who have problems using HD on a Mac are 99% of the time simply using iMovie incorrectly - you're probably thinking of import 'problems' with iMovie, which is almost always a simple user error. OP will have no problems using AVCHD with FCPX so long as their workflow is correct.

4. WorldOfWires

WorldOfWires
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I've already worked for about 9 months with FCPX in HD and (touch wood) haven't experienced any issues yet (Thunderbolt external drive works very well).

The Panasonic is the one I prefer the look of and so will probably take the plunge with that one. I'll do so in about a week so if anyone thinks I'm about to make a big mistake, please speak up! Otherwise, thanks for your help.

Regards,
    John