1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Special Edition DVD's

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by krishnath, Jan 11, 2005.

1. krishnath

krishnath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there,

I am a freelancer working for one of the major production houses and I am doing some research on Special Editin DVD's. Every bit of information is vital and will help us tailor the new generation of S.E DVD's to what the consumer wants more of and what hey want to cut out entirely.

What would make ou buy an S.E title over the normal cheaper version?

What are your views on Easter Eggs???

Are packing and/or a free gift important??

Would you ever re-buy a tilte for S.E version?

Thanks for all your help with this

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I have in many occasions bought the same film more than once to get either a special edition, ultimate edition or superbit.

In some cases I have as many as 3 copies of the same movie.

Packaging is vital in my opinion. This is what attracts people to the same movie more than once.
    Not to mention things like DTS sound as well as Dolby Digital.
    I want to say that these days people want Full Bit Rate DTS not the half rate mince.

Easter Eggs, cant be bothered with them personaly.
    I get enough stress playing games on my PC, XBox, PS2 and so forth to have to hunt down special features on a DVD.

I just want to put it in and play all the features.

Finally I want to point out that with Blu Ray and HD DVD on the horizon I feel that many of use here will end up buying many of out favorite movies (old and new) in one of these new formats as they offer superior picture and sound quality. This may make special edition DVDs redundant in the future.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    a SE must have 2 discs, minimum, otherwise what's so special? Obviously anamorphic widescreen is a must, and a choice of DD5.1 and DTS is very welcome

Extras should include deleted/alternate scenes and would get a LOT of bonus points if the movie could be watched with those scenes re-entered into the movie using seamless branching.

i usually like my special editions to be a digipak, or an amaray inside a slip cover, preferably with some proper artwork based on the movie poster, rather than the crap EIV generally put on everything..

I've never really been bothered with easter eggs, because on the whole they're rubbish, but it's nice when they are actually worthwhile and have a "cool" way of being activated like the T2 ultimate edition one which has a 3rd cut of the movie reached by typing in the date of judgement day.

I do re-buy titles for SE's but i'd much prefer it if i didn't have to!!

just a small addition, i bought the UK R2 3 disc digipak versions of black hawk down and panic room recently as they were in a BOGOF sale at hmv which worked out to 9.99 each. I'll admit i don't often bother putting disc 2, or 3 in this case into my player, but it still works as a good marketing gimmick, makes it look like someone's made a big effort to actually release something special. definitely worth thinking about..

limited edition packaging is probably the biggest selling point though, i mean it's great having a few WOW items on your shelf, so will i be proud of Van Helsing special edition in 5 years, hell no, but will i be proud of Evil Dead Book Of The Dead Edition in 5 years, you're damn right, i'll probably be showing it to my grandchildren in 50 years.. it's a real selling point in my opinion!

4. Mics49

Mics49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    dts, packaging, min. 2 disks - totally agree.

In addition I would say Hi Def transfer (à la Superbit) and some sort of exclusivity (limited ed.) don't hurt either.

I think the Asian releases have an edge over the usual western stuff at the moment. Have a look at Oldboy ULE, Fighter in the Wind LE, and even Troy R3 (by adding some kind of cigar box for packaging :D ) goes for absolute silly dosh ...

what all these have in common is their limited availability...

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Special Editions need;

DTS sound
    decent picture transfer and
    Decent packaging
    and 2 disks as a minimum

I'm not really a fan of unusual packaging as they dont fit on my shelves very well

As for extras, anything that will aid your enjoyment the film.

Documentaries, deleted extended scenes, audio commentries, decent menus.

my personal most detested DVD feature is the "EPK featurette" with all the back slapping and the "oh the director is such a warm and generous person" blah blah blah!! The docs on "Jaws" and "The abyss" disks are fantastic because they tell you something about the production and there not sugar coated.

but the botton line is that the presentation of the movie MUST come first - after all thats what you buy it for in nthe first place.

Gary

6. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The only reasons to consider a SE DVD over a standard edition, or to get me to buy an SE when I already own the standard title are:

Minimum 2 disc so that there are no space wasting extras on the feature disc.

Highest quality transfer possible, i.e highest bit rate possible.

Anamorphic transfer of the original apect ratio.

Both Dolby Digital & DTS, highest bit rate.

Extra film footage, ala LOTR.

Also I'd want SE editions releasing at the same time as the standard version or at the very least announced with a definite release date. No using a SE to make more money by making us buy the same film again.

As mentioned earlier once HD-DVD & Blue-Ray are with us, the above reasons should be N/A as all of these should be as standard on a normal release. Then the only important things for a SE would be packaging and extras.

Cheers

Ryan

7. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought a few films more than once (i.e. House of Flying Daggers Limited Edition, Leon, Black Hawk Down, Fast and Furious etc etc), and would say the following is my preference -

2 Disc -
    1st Disc : only film (get best quality (like superbit) and defo DD5.1 AND DTS and definitely anamorphic !!!!!!!
    2nd Disc : any special features, behind the scenes etc etc.

Alot of films have material left on the editing room floor and studios should take a leaf out of Peter Jacksons book and remaster and re-insert them into the original film. I realise for alot of films this is expensive, but look at the likes of The Godfather, Indiana Jones, Star Wars etc. They could all have benefited with extra work.

I couldn't care about Easter Eggs or Free Gifts unless they are packaged like the fabulous quality Region 3 Limited Edition case for House of Flying Daggers where you got a quality book, cd, book marks etc. In fact this is the standard I would expect. Its unbelievable quality - No cheapness at all and only £30 on import

8. Fatman

Fatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would normally consider a SE if it was a director's cut since I'm interested in what the director wanted the film to be. I would only re-buy a SE (already owning the 'normal' version) if the image and sound quality was found to be truly significantly improved.

I would prefer that SEs do not come in 'novelty' packaging. I store my DVDs in a rack and anything that's not a regular DVD case causes storage problems. I have zero interest for free gifts (unless it's another movie or a CD!).

I'm not at all interested in 'Easter Eggs'. I very rarely watch Extra Features. Image quality and a choice of DTS/DD 5.1 on the movie itself are all-important. If extra features are included, please put them on a second disc rather than comprimise the movie itself.

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Now all we can do is hope they will actually listen to what we want! :laugh:

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    What would make ou buy an S.E title over the normal cheaper version?
    It would depend on the contents and price differential. FWIW, I wish all supplements had a "play all" feature.
    Gimmick which generates free publicity. No problem with them provided they are also accessible via the player-generated title selection process.
    I'd tend to buy something in a regular thickness Amaray-style case in preference to anything else. Plastic trinkets are totally unimportant.
    Yes, depending on the contents, packaging and price.

11. DigitalSmurf

DigitalSmurf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some good points raised here. I completely agree with statements that best possible anamorphic transfer plus surround formats should be there etc.

What Constitutes a Special Edition
    Looking through my collection I seem to have a lot of single disc SE packages, but at the same time there is no non-SE version available (prime examples are 007 collection). So whats this all about - doesn't smurf right to me :D
    One of my pet hates is they don't spend the effort to make an option to watch the film with deleted/extended scenes stitched back in the right place. Since this is perfectly possible with DVD it is just laziness on the part of people doing as little as possible to milk as much money out of us as they can. The Godfather is an outstanding version of this - first you watch the film, then watch all the deleted bits one at a time completely out of context. Ridiculous :mad:

Easter Eggs
    These are good additions but sometimes so cryptic and difficult that no way will you get them by accident. I don't have time to mess around on each menu page pushing odd buttons to check. Most easter eggs you find by looking up a list om the internet and then printing out the instructions..... So I wonder what is the point in the first place :confused:

Packaging
    This is a topic that really smurfs me off. I now have a collection of more than 500 DVDs and I am sure there are many people out there who have this and even more. Why the hell do the cases have to be so damn big :thumbsdow Further, a lot of special editions have naff cardboard packaging which does not match anything else, takes up more shelf space, and is not durable either. When you open it, you get multiple flaps flopping out left and right, and need to put it on a table to even get the discs out. I have simply purchased a whole load of 3 & 4-disc DVD cases which are the same sizes as the "standard" single DVD case, and transfer all these multi-disc sets from their naff cardboard packaging. Sometimes you can even re-use the paper inserts. The point is the value of the product is in the 1's and 0's on the discs, not the packaging :rolleyes:

Keep Smurfin'

12. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    Just a quick rant

Yes. However production companies should bring out the 'FINAL' editions at least at the same time as the normal editions so I dont want to buy the special edition, followed by the ultimate edition, followed by the great edition, followed by the amazing great smashing super edition with a free plush toy, nose ring, 3 page limited edition booklet, a metal case etc....

Basicly now instead of going out and buying the 'normal' dvd I wait for the special edition's, extended edition's etc.... to be released then buy them. This annoys me as I haver to wait a lot longer in some cases before I even see the film, annoying.

tris

13. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would make you buy an S.E title over the normal cheaper version?

I always buy the best possible version available anyway. I guess this question is aimed more at those who don't buy special editions. In my opinion I don't think anything will convince some people if all they want is the standard version. Some folks have no interest (or time for that matter) in watching hours of "making of's".

Why not just make them part of the normal extras? I just don't see the point of them. There are some good ones out there but if they're really good, include them with the other features, if they're crap, why include them at all?

Are packing and/or a free gift important?

In my opinion yes, very important. I consider myself a collector of dvd's only second only to a lover of film. I love the feel of a good package (i'm not gay or 'out). Just hold R1 and R2 versions of Master and Commander side buy side for a demonstration.

Free gifts? Well, they're free so how can anyone have a problem with 'em? Throw them away or keep them. What's the problem? Also if folks want to pay an extra £10 for the soundtrack/novel/bottle opener then cool.

Would you ever re-buy a title for S.E version?

It depends on many things.

If it's actually "special" yes. Criterion releases are the best example. They usually have the best print of the actual film, they're always different from any previous versions and contain exclusive content, thus rarely rendering your other versions worthless.

Time-frame from previous release. There really should be an unwriten rule at least, on the speed of re-releases. It's getting slightly silly now. You can mostly telly if studios are going to re-release a dvd. Major blockbusters released on 1 disc will get double dipped within months, but its getting harder esp with smaller films. Eternal Sunshine... R1 anyone???

My main beef is the recent trend of re-releasing a new version to coincide with the theatrical release of the sequel :mad: . "Featuring scenes from the new movie" but subsequently replacing DTS and audio commentaries :nono: , oh and that previous, superior release is now out of print or impossible to find. Cheers. :censored: :censored: :censored:

That said i'll always eventually re-buy. But never on there release date. The main reason we buy dvd's is for the films themselves and if i already have a film I can wait a few months for some new special features. I just pick them up in the sales :thumbsup: :D

14. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
  15. BigWood

BigWood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I really would like to see more of is Bloopers not just deleted scenes.
    Everybody loves to laugh and you get a glimps of the real side of the actors.

Easter eggs are a waste of time to find. I go to a egg website to check for them, I don't have the time to try to figure them out. :censored: :censored: :censored:

Mike

P.S. When you find the Easter Egg on Rush Live At Rio it is actually very cool!

16. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    My views for what they're worth.

[What would make you buy an S.E title over the normal cheaper version?
    Nothing specific to be honest. If I like the film or don't already have it, or if ther is something Special and not just because it's a 2 disc set with p=@s poor extras, that would ordinarily be on one disc.

Only interested if they're chocolate.

YES. What's the point in forking out extra, sometimes substantially more for the so called special edition than the standard version if there's nothing special about it? As has been pointed out the Koren special editions are just that. Special.
    It's not just because of the limited numbers(although that does count) it's the overall presentation, for example http://aznfilms.com/product_info.php/products_id/1406
    or
    http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.530732/qx/details.htm
    and
    http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.533027/qx/details.htm
    these look the business.
    The Farscape Deluxe Editions are another good example http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=103863&p=57&g=72
    For those whose shelving is set out a specific way they can remove the discs from the special packaging and put them on a shelf and they don't look out of place with the other sets from the series.

I'm not a huge fan of the first Evil Dead film but bought the Book Of The Dead version purely because of the presentation of the packaging, http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=1041;5;-1;-1&sku=922626

I would if it was special and not just because it had a few scenes/trailers of the forth coming sequel on it.

As other members have said a special edition should be the best possible transfer of picture and sound. With 2 discs film on one and extras on subsequent discs.
    Deleted scenes to my mind should be able to be played intergrated into the film or as the original version of the film, by this I mean that you should have the choice of which way to watch the film. Sometimes I want to be able to watch the full directors vision and others I want to watch it the way I remember it as a kid or the first time I saw it.
    The packaging should be special (see above) and not just another picture/different colour of same photo.