1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

:: Spec me Up on spkr cable and int conects please ::

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Tob3z, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

Just got a 5.1 Epos kit for £785 (bargin) and a denon 2105 amp.

What I want to do is connect my pc and xbox to my amp. And then when I buy a new TV I will connect my amp to tv via component.

So what I think I need are:

2 optical cables (one for pc and one for xbox hi def pack)
    2 video component cables (one for connecting pc to amp and one to connect amp to TV)
    Speaker cable (dad says it would be best to get flat cable)
    And if possible a component to scart connecter. The Tv I have at the mo doesnt have component so I want to take the component from my xbox hi def pack and plug that into my TV with scart.

Oh and also I dont know what to do about my sub. If you can find specs to my sub it has 12 places to plug stuff in. Now my amp only has one place to pug my sub in (i think) and thats with phono cable. So Im guessing I need a phono cable as well.

Ok well Im really new to this so if you could answer one question that would be a great help. Your welcome to anser them all. :D

Also budget wise... well if I spent £1000 on my setup so far .... maybe about £100 on cable... prob less.

Thanks for your time
    Toby

2. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone? :(

3. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump because I am using crappy speaker cable I found and I want to get xbox connected through optical so I can get some halo 2 going.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Tob3Z

Lots and lots of options (see the many Banner adds that mention cables) and lots of questions/pointers to try and make sense of your post.

First the easy bits:

01. Optical Toslink - no need to go overboard:
    2 x VanDamme POF - SRP £13.43 per 1m cable.

02. Sub Woofer - as your using an active sub with an AV Receiver then yes a simple Screened RCA to RCA audio cable will do.

1 x VanDamme Classic Instrument - SRP £14.87 for a 5m cable.

03. X-Box - now its getting tricky:
    Whilst YUV Component would be nice to tap into the processing in the console if you don't have YUV Inputs on your TV then best to stick with RGB via SCART.

MS do a pretty decent range of SCART cables.

04. AV Receiver - even trickier:
    Again as you don't have YUV Inputs on your TV your best to forget about the YUV outputs on your AV Receiver and instead stick with Composite or S-Video.

If you only require a connection to enable you to 'see' the AV Receivers on-screen menu then Composite will do.

If you have a few sources that are S-Video enabled then go with S-Video.

1 x VanDamme 75 Ohm for Composite - SRP £9.79 per 1m cable.

or

1 x VanDamme Red Series S-Video - SRP £6.08 per 1m.

05. Speaker cable - pretty simple:
    The size of the binding posts on your Speakers and AV Receiver and often the 'look' and size of the cable jacket will determine what diameter/gauge of cable you go with.

A good quality not overly expensive option is VanDamme Blue Series 2x1.5mm OFC at SRP £1.43 per meter.

I think that about covers it :)

Best regards

Joe

5. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok cheers for the help. I still yet have to check google etc but Im just going to put down what I will be searching for to find the answers. Im really new so I have to find out what cable is what :p

01. Optical Toslink - no need to go overboard: (Im going to need 2 though for xbox to amp and pc to amp so I can get some 5.1 gaming going.

2 x VanDamme POF - SRP £13.43 per 1m cable. (lol, google isnt bringing up anything on this cable... prob because of the POF but I dont know what that stands for :p )

02. Sub Woofer - as your using an active sub with an AV Receiver then yes a simple Screened RCA to RCA audio cable will do. (So any will do.... about £10 then?)

1 x VanDamme Classic Instrument - SRP £14.87 for a 5m cable. (Im trying to figure out what this cable is for)

03. X-Box - now its getting tricky:
    Whilst YUV Component would be nice to tap into the processing in the console if you don't have YUV Inputs on your TV then best to stick with RGB via SCART. (Yep ordering a Panasonic PD50 today and I already have a xbox HiDef pack)

MS do a pretty decent range of SCART cables.

04. AV Receiver - even trickier:
    Again as you don't have YUV Inputs on your TV your best to forget about the YUV outputs on your AV Receiver and instead stick with Composite or S-Video.

If you only require a connection to enable you to 'see' the AV Receivers on-screen menu then Composite will do.

If you have a few sources that are S-Video enabled then go with S-Video.

1 x VanDamme 75 Ohm for Composite - SRP £9.79 per 1m cable.

or

1 x VanDamme Red Series S-Video - SRP £6.08 per 1m.

05. Speaker cable - pretty simple:
    The size of the binding posts on your Speakers and AV Receiver and often the 'look' and size of the cable jacket will determine what diameter/gauge of cable you go with.

A good quality not overly expensive option is VanDamme Blue Series 2x1.5mm OFC at SRP £1.43 per meter. (hum, I was going to splash out on £5 meter of QED stuff because I heard good reviews.)

I think that about covers it :)

Best regards

Joe

Now I have just typed in YUV in google so I could get answers. Now this is a yellow connection cabel right. This sends video signals. Now is this better than YPbPr which if I have got this right is componant. Because the back of my amp has about 7 of the YUV and about 3 or 4 sets of YPbPr.
    Amp also has about 7 S-Video.
    Just reading the manual now and I think it wills end the display through Component.

Im sorry about this but I am getting so confused now. I might have to go to a hifi shop and ask for there help or something. But it looks like your all clued up anyway :D

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Tob3z

POF - (Plastic Optical Fibre) the majority of budget and mid range Optical cables are Plastic; the top end cables use Glass fibres.

Reviews - VanDamme is not marketed to the Consumer market; these cables are aimed at the Pro, Install and Broadcast market so don't have fancy packaging or adverting spend. You get a high quality cable for less!!!

Instrument cable - this is your Sub cable; you can have it in any length you want. I put in 5m as an indication of cost if you required a longish cable.

Speaker cable - some would say the cable I've suggest was OTT and £5/m is madness!

YUV - forget about the colour of the connectors; they come in all shapes and sizes and there is no fixed colour coding system.

YUV is carried over 3 x 75 Ohm runs - sometimes three separate cables sometimes a Multicore with three RCA plugs at each end of the cable.

Your Amp will at most have 2 or 3 x YUV Inputs (usually in the form of 1 x Red, 1 x Green and 1 x Blue RCA socket per YUV Input/Output arranged in rows).

The Yellow RCA sockets on your amp are most likely Composite Inputs and Outputs.

If your TV has SCART Inputs they will most work with one, some or all three of RGB, S-Video or Composite; though you need to check the manual as often its RGB or Composite only.

YUV (often called Component) is very similar but NOT interchangeable with RGB - its not possible using a cable alone to plug a YUV source to an RGB Input socket and get an image.

You either need a new TV with YUV Inputs or stick with the RGB enabled SCART to SCART connections between your Sources and the TV - which means you cant use the HiDef pack on the X-Box.

HiFi Shops - great places to discuss HiFi; not always a great place to discuss video technology :)

Best regards

Joe

7. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol yeh ur right there about hifi shops.

Ahh I think I have it in the bag now. So the 7 yellow connectors I have on my amp are composite. And the 3 or 4 sets of blue, red, green are component. The TV I am ordering has 1 set of component imput so I can use my Hidef pack :D

So should I get 2 of the Optical Toslink cabels for PC and Xbox or 2 VanDamme POF?

Your post cleared everything up for me and I am thankful for that.

Ok well its time to get some prices for these so I am going to go price busting.

Again thanks
    Tob3z

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Tob3z

Must get some kit out the door so cant reply in detail now - back to you later.

Best regards

Joe

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Tob3Z

The VanDamme POF cables are Optical Toslink - its an Optical cable that uses Plastic filaments rather than Glass filaments.

For the anoraks - see http://www.pofworld.com/

TV with YUV Input - good news then. So you'll want the HiDef cable kit for the X-Box.

I missed your reference to a PC - what Output options do you have on the PC; most are RGBHV via HD15 (VGA) or DVI.

Once you clarify on the PC I can advise on the rest of the video hook up - also do you have a Digibox of some sort?

Best regards

Joe

10. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Sky/Freeview as my parents say I have to get a job.... and in cornwall there is no such thing unless you want to work at Mc Ds. Which for being 17 I dont think so. lol

My pc graphics card (X800 XT PE) came with 2 cables. One splits into 4, s-video, composite in and out. And another one which is red,blue, and green out. Its best I say the colours instead of guessing the name.

And a analogue out and DVI out. I will buy a decent TFT soon which will hook up to the DVI.

And I dont have a decent sound card for my pc yet so its just got 5.1 optical out and your other standard pc outputs.

So its 2x VanDamme POF cables which are Optical Toslink for the pc and the xbox Hidef pack. Gdgd. Im slowly getting there. Looks like I will be ordering off The Media Factory to repay my kindness to you. :D

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Tob3Z

As far as I can tell your ATI graphics card can Output 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i at 60Hz via YUV; can you confirm one or all of these are supported on the YUV Inputs on the TV your purchasing.

I'm sure it will at least support 480i and/or 480P at 60Hz along with 576i and/or 576P at 50Hz.

Assuming it does then you can plug the YUV Output of the X-Box HiDef pack to YUV 01 Input on the AV Receiver and the YUV Output from the PC to YUV 02 Input on the AV Receiver and then the YUV Output from the AV Receiver to the YUV Input on your TV.

The required cables are provided with your X-Box HiDef pack - from the PC to the AV Receiver you require 3 x RCA to RCA 75 Ohms (if a cable is not provided with the ATI card) and a second set of 3 x RCA to RCA 75 Ohm from the AV Receiver to the TV.

Best regards

Joe

12. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im going to assume the new TV will support it as its a new a top of the range CRT TV.

Ok so the cables I am going to need are:

2x 3xRCA to RCA 75 ohms (TV to AV & PC to AV)

2x VanDamme POF cables (Xbox to AV & PC to AV)

1 x VanDamme Classic Instrument (for sub so 2m will do)

VanDamme Blue Series 2x1.5mm (speaker cable... will have to get some string and see how much I need :p )

OK that looks about it. Will have alook and see how much this is going to cost me and then I better get ordering it and my TV.

Sorry about the late reply but my ISDN is down so I am forced to use AOL.

Thanks again for your help Joe.