• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Spec me some 5.1's Please

kpatm

Established Member
Hello. I'v had my 42" Toshiba for a couple of years now and I have always thought that it could be doing with some 5.1 speakers so with that in mind can anyone recommend me a set. I would be looking at mounting them up in the corners of my livingroom ceiling so nothing too large, my budget is about £100. Thanks

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
IS the budget just for speakers or speakers and amp to drive them?
Do you want new or is secondhand OK?
£100 is not much money and you will struggle to get much for that. Also I would not put the speakers up high in the corners of the room as this is not going to be an ideal location for a number of reasons.

kpatm

Established Member
Do I need an Amp or can I get by without one? if I do need one then the £100 is for both amp and speakers. I dont mind buying second hand. I was also thinking that mounting the speakers to high up wouldnt be the best place.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You are going to need something to power the speakers as how else will they play? £100 is going to be tight for even a stereo system and you will not find a new 5.1 system for that money. The cheapest 5.1 system around is the Yamaha 196 which is £180. There are a couple of PC systems under £100 but they are poor quality and will not have the right connections for a TV to give proper surround sound (reply on the PC doing the decoding of surround sound). Hard to recommend anything second hand as even then it is going to be tough to get anything for the money you have. I would look on the classifieds here or ebay to see what is around. Personally I would wait a bit longer and do some more saving until you can afford a basic system (like the Yamaha 196).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom