Spec me a TV please

StuntMonkeh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Okay, this is my first post and I will have a search around but I am in need of a new TV ASAP.

Have looked at a Sony and I have looked at some Bang & Olufsen but to be honest I have no idea what things I am supposed to be looking for.

Is it really worth all the HD hype at the moment with only a few channels broadcasting at the moment and I thought I read somewhere that the HD format is being revised last year?

The TV needs to be at least 42-46" and I have no limit on budget but will only spend more if I am getting what I am paying for.

Hopefully some of you can point me in the right direction.

do you do gaming? xbox360? ps3?

do you ned to connect a pc/media centre?

then go for looks. consider panel response time if you watch sport/action movies.

Id say the sharp xde1 series or Sony x series. former for panel speed, latter for looks. if you go for the sony theyre doing a deal so you can get skyHD for 'free'.

okay I see. Any particular model for the plasma?

Essentially with Pioneer and Panasonic you get what you pay for.
I have the 37px60 which cost me £1050 2 months ago, but now costs about £900. The 42px60 is not much more expensive. (I am currently looking for a 32" screen for use with games and PC so will have to go LCD for that).
Then you have the 600 series that purportedly give better picture quality and certainly look nicer. They will be about £300 more I would guess. There are even better Panny models if you have the cash.
Pioneer I am not expert in, having only looked at them and decided they were too expensive. I would guess they are about the same price as the 600 series and upwards.
Go to the plasma forum for more details. Basically you want either of those two brands unless you have a huge budget.
You should be able to easily tell apart the SD picture quality between plasmas and LCDs in when you look in shops. As ever, please go and have a look so you know what you are buying. Whatever model you choose, you don't want to be disappointed when you get it home.

plasma's are a good choice but all the faffing about making sure you dont get screen burn running it in etc. would put me off.

If your technical enough to research and do the things you need to ensure no burn then plasmas a good option, if you want a plug it in and use it option consider the LCD.

plasma's are a good choice but all the faffing about making sure you dont get screen burn running it in etc. would put me off.

If your technical enough to research and do the things you need to ensure no burn then plasmas a good option, if you want a plug it in and use it option consider the LCD.

:rotfl:

Unless you leave the plasma on sky news for 100 hours in a row you have nothing to worry about with current generation pioneers and panasonics. You might also want to get rid of the red dot from sky by pressing auto-time out on the picture settings menu.
Complicated, eh?
I really find this scaremongering shameful.

:rotfl:

Unless you leave the plasma on sky news for 100 hours in a row you have nothing to worry about with current generation pioneers and panasonics. You might also want to get rid of the red dot from sky by pressing auto-time out on the picture settings menu.
Complicated, eh?
I really find this scaremongering shameful.

not scaremongering at all. you have provided an example of my point...I have to mess about making sure the red dot on sky isnt shown...why is that necessary??

as I said, plasmas are good if you want to take the trouble to consider such issues, if not high end LCDs are probably the better option. (and they present more futureproofing if needs change)

;) if posters needs change, e.g. wants to start using a media centre pc or gaming console etc.....dont meen technology futureproofing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom