dweeno

Standard Member
Reaction score
Not too good on the watt side of things. I'm looking to run:

Phenom II 955 BE not over clocked
2 x 5770 in crossfire
1 hard drive
1 dvd drive

nothing else really just standard stuff. Not looking to overclock yet and probably not anytime soon. Did one of those calculations on the antec site and it came in well under 500w but wanted some real world feedback on whether a 500w will do it or should I look higher?

i would get a 600W PSU to be sure..thats if you go crossfire...

personally i would not get two of those lesser cards in crossfire,

i think it would be better to have one 5850. most games do not fully support crossfire. ok they do but twice the GPU power does not mean twice the performance, i think you would be better off spending the cash on one single better card. also it will take less W :)

Yeah I know the performance isn't gonna double or anything. I should of mentioned it was a future upgrade. I wanted to make sure I get a PSU suitable for the second 5770 at a later date. I'm trying to build a decent system with the option of getting a bit extra out of it in the future without too much fuss.

I'd go for a Corsair TX650w to be sure. They're great PSU's which should leave you a little room to add a few more upgrades without needing to be upgraded itself.

OCZ 700w ModXstream is also a very good PSU for around the same money, but it's Modular which is only a good thing!

Go for the HX650w Corsair. Single 12v rail, 7 yr warranty and modular

Bit more exspensive than the OCZ but this is your PC we're talking about

650w should be enough for your needs. You should definetly look at the Antec True Power New PSU as it saves you about £10 over the corsair and in my opinion a better power supply. Custom PC mag also has a great review of mid level power supplies in its issue this month if you want take a look.

What is your budget, if budget isn't an issue I'd recommend a seasonic x-650.

I've had various corsairs and the only decent ones are those made by seasonic.

The seasonic is the best 650 watt psu out there.

Phenom II 955 BE not over clocked
2 x 5770 in crossfire
1 hard drive
1 dvd drive

Hi guy sorry to drag this thread up but it's very similar to my set-up in progress but I'm probably going to have a single GFX card either a 5770 or 5850 sort of range.

I already have a Corsair 450 PSU. Will this be enough? I've been on loads of PSU calculators which give loads of different ratings. Some experience in the matter would be helpful.

Hi guy sorry to drag this thread up but it's very similar to my set-up in progress but I'm probably going to have a single GFX card either a 5770 or 5850 sort of range.

I already have a Corsair 450 PSU. Will this be enough? I've been on loads of PSU calculators which give loads of different ratings. Some experience in the matter would be helpful.

With a Phenom or Core i5-750? There's a 50W difference in power consumption.

With the Phenom and a 5850 I'd definitely consider something higher but the i5 and 5770 should be fine on a 450W one with most of the power on the +12v line like the corsairs usually have.

It's with a Phenom, EndlessWaves. Looks like it is advisable to upsize then. Thanks for the advise.

I agree with Tainted you would not regret getting the Corsair TX 650W which should give you enough headroom with crossfire. Whether you have the budget or the need for modular is another question you have to ask yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom