Question Spec me a Lens for my Panasonic G7.

Brad8988

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys Ive had a Panasonic G7 which I have bought for making videos to post on YouTube. I have the 14-42mm Kit lens which im interested in changing for a faster lens. Both for better low light and more chance of the bokeh.

I was/am considering the Panasonic 25mm 1.7 but although its fine for mounting on a tripod in a studio situation it would be too long for using if I wanted to vlog. There is also the 20m Panasonic but ive heard the 25mm is better for video.

Any suggestions?

Olympus do a 1.8 lens I think it's a 25mm which I was considering getting. But went for the 42.5mm version instead.

Not sure about the difference in price but worth considering it.

Also what sort of stuff are your shooting? If it's fast action stuff with distances changing frequently a low apature one might not be ideal as you might not get focus on what you want (very shallow depth of field - depending how far the subject is away)

And vice Versa, if it's not fast paced/distance of subject changing you could prob get away with the lens you have and changing some of the environment instead.

The standard kit lens and 4K is good quality, bit of post edit to boost the contrast can look fansatic.

Last edited:
Thanks I did look into that but personally don't feel it's worth the extra £100 over the Panasonic 25mm 1.7.

The Panasonic 12-35mm X 2.8 is an ideal zoom range and is faster than my current lens but close to the max of what I really want to spend.

Maybe this would be a good lens to upgrade to before getting a fast prime just for studio work.

Do you not find the 42.5mm too long sometimes?

Thanks I did look into that but personally don't feel it's worth the extra £100 over the Panasonic 25mm 1.7.

The Panasonic 12-35mm X 2.8 is an ideal zoom range and is faster than my current lens but close to the max of what I really want to spend.

Maybe this would be a good lens to upgrade to before getting a fast prime just for studio work.

Do you not find the 42.5mm too long sometimes?
Ah didn't realise it was so expensive. Yes the one I had would be too long for most filming work.

Thanks mark I didn't see all your first post. Its mostly just me talking into the camera either sat down or stood up but would like the possibility of using it as a vlogging lens also while holding the camera so need it to go wide enough for that. My kit lens now is only just wide enough really so im leaning towards the 12-35mm.

I shoot very little video but I do have a selection of Micro 4/3rds lenses on Olympus bodies :thumbsup:

The simplest way to test out the reach of any of the primes you're considering is to set your kit lens to that length and try it - I know that sounds obvious but it will quickly let you work out the framing at 17mm, 25mm and 45mm (or near enough).

I have the Panasonic 25mm f1.7. It's a brilliant lens and is very cheap for the quality (about £150 new). I got this over the 20mm because it's cheaper new than the 20mm second hand and the reviews I read said the autofocus was faster and more accurate.

I also have the Olympus 45mm f1.8. Again it's brilliant and last time I looked it was about £180 new/£120-40 used. It's almost certainly too long for your vlogging. I use mine for head and shoulders "portrait" snapshots indoor and sometimes for filming my kid at school events when positioning and light are both less than ideal. It's a gem for that kind of work.

I also have the Olympus 17mm f2.8. This is a very small pancake lens. Obviously it's not as fast as the other two lenses so you get a less shallow depth of field and it's low light capabilities aren't as good but the Olympus f1.8 is much more expensive for not a great deal more flexibility. This is my go to lens for general indoor use - mostly family shots in restaurants and homes when light is too low for a kit lens. Mine was £120 used from Wex. MPB have one for £90
Used Olympus 17mm f/2.8 Pancake lens - mpb.com
Currys have it for £190 new.

As I'm shooting stills on Olympus bodies I'm getting optical stabilisation on all my lenses. That might be a factor on the Panasonic bodies esp. shooting video though at the wider end it should be less significant.

I would suggest that a f2.8 zoom is probably your most flexible choice - Olympus make one too. I would look at used - from a dealer of via classifieds with care about what you're buying and from whom you're buying it.

If you're happy at 17mm then the Olympus f2.8 is a very capable lens for not a lot of money.

The Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 is a great lens, and around £500-550 used. However as mentioned above it doesn't have OS as Olly cameras have IBIS. The Panny 12-35mm f2.8 might be a better option although I'm not sure what the used prices are.

"Video" implies a relatively slow shutter-speed, so the frames merge; this may mean that a wide-aperture setting will demand ND filter(s) depending on the lighting.
((You didn't say what set-up you have, room dimensions, etc.))

However, you mentioned "low-light" performance ( Post-1), .... why is this?
If you are indoors then lighting the presenter (you) and leaving the background dark will help concentrate the viewer, so you may not need such a large aperture - esp. if you can provide some distance behind, or erect a backdrop screen, which is itself dark ( eg Cloud-effect? ) - The bigger problem I'd expect is that it's v.difficult to be both Presenter and Camera/lighting operator ( Oh and Sound, too ).

Good Luck

The Panasonic 14mm f2.5 is a cracking lens, i use it for video, and vlogging just fine.
Plus it's cheap :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom