• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

spec me a high tv unit

k.jacko

Established Member
Basically guys, my LG42PQ6000 needs to be at 1m off the floor for viewing over a dinring table, BUT, its not gonna mount on the wall as its a plasterboard over thermalite breeze inner wall.
Plus a bracket would cost me a small fortune.

So.....i'm looking for inspiration. I'm thinking of build a frame for it, but will mdf it rather than plasterboard it, so i can create an entry panel of sorts for cable management etc. (possibly from the side least seen)
Something along the lines of a chimney breast type deal maybe, but i was thinking of having the TV standing on something (rather than recessed)with it being chained (hidden)to the wall for added security so it doesn't topple forward.

Any ideas? :lease:

ivordavey

Standard Member
Hi
I've got the same TV, and just mounted it to a chimney breast with a wall mount bracket from sevenoaks sound and vision. The bracket cost £70.

I have channelled into the wall some 4cm drain pipe. This was a big taks digging out the brick work, however it is now perfect for running hdmi cable, power cable and speaker cables for center and front left and right speakers.

The one problem i found was that the LG cable is quite short, so I actually had to cut off the plug and add a joiner and new length of cable.

I looks good now and will be even better when I get around to wallpapering the room.

I would suggest you design something and build it. Should be fairly simple out of mdf, and hide all the cables etc behind it.

let me know if i can help

k.jacko

Established Member
Thanks ivor, thats the kind of inspiration i was looking for tbh.
I've just come back from ikea having had a look at what i could buy or buy/modify of theirs to suit, but in all fairness if i build it myself it can be done 'exactly' how i want it.
I rang my step-son earlier to ask him to get to work designing me one using sketchup which he seems particularly adpet at. He's only 15, so is hopefully quite enthusiastic about getting it done.
After all even though the 42" is going in the new extension it means the 32" Toshy stays with him and his brother in the living room, for their xbox360/wii gaming pleasure. :clap:

I've knacked me back in (again) so all i can do tonight is start planning it all out. Thanks for your help, will post again when i have further questions.

ps....chasing out the walls isn't an option now, since i've spent months building the damned room, i'm not about to start knocking holes in it again and making more mess. :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom