Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Question Spec me a gaming monitor

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by bazzabear, Apr 5, 2018.

1. bazzabear

bazzabear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a GTX1080Ti currently paired to a 1080p 24" monitor. This seems a bit of a waste, so was thinking of one of the myriad 27" IPS G-Sync monitors that are currently available. Such as the Acer Predator XB271HU, or the ASUS PG279Q.

I've already asked a similar question over at OCUK - but there are a couple of details I'm not sure I can ask there, because it's retailer backed.

I'm concerned about stories of dead pixels or backlight bleed. OCUK themselves have a guarantee on the ASUS that there will be no dead pixels (but don't mention bleed) - but it is over £150 more than the all but identical Acer (which has no such guarantee). Presumably the price difference reflects that guarantee?

But if I order over the internet, can't I return within 14 days for a full refund anyway? Do they actually have the option to not replace if I'm not happy with what I receive, regardless of their own wording?

This will be the most I've paid for a monitor by a factor of about 4, so I'll be crushed if I get something substandard in return for my money.

Alternatively, is there somewhere else reputable selling these monitors at a good price including a QC guarantee?

Thanks in advance for any advice people can offer.

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,579
    A bit of a waste is putting it mildly! :laugh:

I've got the XB271HU and it is a superb monitor. Having a monitor with G-Sync makes all the difference. I did have one stuck pixel but it seems to have sorted itself now.

Unfortunately with any monitor you will get bad ones and remember that more people on forums will post about their negative experiences with a product than those who have a positive experience.

If you do get a bad one and it is immediately obvious, you have 14 days to return it anyway. I'd never pay a premium of £150 for a no dead pixel guarantee.

3. bazzabear

bazzabear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to check I was right. :)

Thanks for the reply.

4. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,053
    I have the XB271HU as well , had it for just over a year and half , no dead pixels , nore back light bleed ,
    fantastic monitor .

5. Psycho Sonny

Psycho Sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    so you send it back then what do you do?

order another then send that back if it's also bad?

the retailer could then rightfully refuse it IMO.

also QC is a major issue with the cheaper makes. it's why it usually pays to spend more. or buy a lottery ticket and take your chances with the cheaper panels.

i personally now having owned several monitors 10+, wouldn't touch anything but dell. their 27" 1440p 144hz g sync sounds perfect for you tbh. it's what i have.

i also have a benq but the colours on it are way out.

luckily i own a calibrator. no point you spending close to £1K on a GPU, another close to £1K on a monitor then not buying a calibrator for £100-£150 which will make the biggest difference in terms of PQ.

so don't skimp on a calibrator if you don't have one.

6. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    I've seen you talk a couple of times about only buying Dell. But what if someone wants a 34/38" ultrawide with G-Sync/Freesync, not bother because they run the risk of getting a bad panel? And when you say cheaper makes, does that include Acer & Asus who supposedly have bad QC? Because their £1k monitors aren't cheap!

I'm not asking to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curious. I'm currently trying to decide on which ultrawide but the Dell is lacking a couple of features compared to others.

As for retailers refusing returns, if they sent an expensive item not fit for purpose, they can't refuse it.

7. Psycho Sonny

Psycho Sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    dell offer brilliant warranty direct with them, etc. it's my personal preference. it's why i only buy tv's from john lewis unless i get a stonking deal elsewhere.

dell has the best customer service when it comes to returns. they also seem to have the best quality control. however yes their range can be lacking in the gaming sector especially ultrawide.

Dell UltraSharp U3818W 38" 3840x1600 IPS Curved Widescreen LED Monitor - Midnight Black

looks good to me. if you wanted to add g sync onto a dell panel like that then we would be talking £1.5K-£2K

3 years on site warranty. that means they fix it at your home or send a new one to you. freesync isn't really an option is it in the high end market? i mean nvidia cards are a lot better and cheaper. people choose freesynce because they are on a tight budget. that doesn't apply in the high end market.

g sync yeah is lacking. however it isn't the be all and end all. i'd go dell unless you get a good deal on something else.

it's why i've only ever not bought 1 tv from john lewis. i got a deal too good to say no to. top of the range 55 inch top of the range sony for 440 quid

8. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    @Psycho Sonny It's the 60hz refresh rate vs 75hz on the 38" Acer uw that's my main sticking point. I keep reading that it makes a big difference.

9. aslird

aslird
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,106
    TBH I doubt you would notice the difference between 60 and 75 HZ refresh rate. You would probably notice the difference between 60 and 100, or 60 and 144, but 15? I doubt it very much.

10. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    I’ve read countless posts all over the internet from people who do notice the difference. Build quality/warranty of the Dell vs 75hz and saving £150 on the Acer.

11. Psycho Sonny

Psycho Sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    i think you would.

as you go higher though law of diminishing returns kicks in but you can still tell but only under certain circumstances.

most people test by looking at the edges of the screen and how smooth it is. which isn't what you would do under normal gaming conditions. you wouldn't be playing staring at the corner of the screen as you turn rapidly left and right.

so this is where a lot of argument comes from. people say you can't tell the difference then someone shows they can but it's only because they are doing something they wouldn't be doing normally.

i think 60-75hz will be noticeable because of 2 reasons:

1) 15hz increase on 60hz is a 25% increase in regresh rate
    2) 60hz isn't a high refresh rate

had it been going from 160hz to 175hz yeah I would say that is a pointless upgrade. but 60-75 hz will be a big jump. just that 60 to 120 or 60 to 144 are HUGE jumps.

I personally play on a 144hz monitor and I have a mate who plays on a 60hz monitor. he's still better than me at FPS. gameskill matters the most. so no screen will make you a better player. it gives you like 0.5% of a boost in terms of reactions.

for FPS gaming

Gameskill makes up like 95% of the deciding factor who will win in a 1 v 1 situation.

Ping, peripherals, screen, etc make up the other 5%.