Spec me a (dual HDMI) bluray player please? eg: Panasonic DP-UB450EB or Sony UBP-X700?

NeilF

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So I have an LG E7 OLED TV and an Onkyo 646 amp (5.1 speakers).

So TV is happy with HDR and Dolby vision etc. And amp is happy with Dobly Atmos etc, but cannot pass thru Dolby vision, so the Bluray player needs dual HDMI.

So I'm after a bluray player that can make the most of the equipment I have, and ideally:-
1) Means if I simply turn the TV I can watch a DVD/Bluray without the amp on. ie: So audio will still be passed through to the TV via HDMI 1.
2) If I then turn on the amp, I will then get the sexy audio from the Bluray. I assume at this point I'd need to manually turn the TV down? OR would the Bluray player realise it was then connected to an amp on HDMI 2 so automatically mute the audio on HDMI 1?

And what should I be looking for cable wise for the two HDMI cables? ie: The HDMI video cable to the TV, and the HDMI audio cable to the amp?

Many thanks in advance...

So I have an LG E7 OLED TV and an Onkyo 646 amp (5.1 speakers).

So TV is happy with HDR and Dolby vision etc. And amp is happy with Dobly Atmos etc, but cannot pass thru Dolby vision, so the Bluray player needs dual HDMI.

So I'm after a bluray player that can make the most of the equipment I have, and ideally:-
1) Means if I simply turn the TV I can watch a DVD/Bluray without the amp on. ie: So audio will still be passed through to the TV via HDMI 1.
2) If I then turn on the amp, I will then get the sexy audio from the Bluray. I assume at this point I'd need to manually turn the TV down? OR would the Bluray player realise it was then connected to an amp on HDMI 2 so automatically mute the audio on HDMI 1?

And what should I be looking for cable wise for the two HDMI cables? ie: The HDMI video cable to the TV, and the HDMI audio cable to the amp?

Many thanks in advance...
Any 2 hdmi player should do your 1) + 2).

For cables you want a 18gbps capable cable. Amazon basics are usually OK or you can get the recommended 'HDMI premium certified'cables fairly cheaply e.g. the likes of these Audioquest ones
Amazon product ASIN B079JYKHCR
If doing longish runs to the TV over say 2-3m it would be best to get certified cables. For audio any old HDMI cable would suffice (Ihe player ports are usually HDMI V1.4 for these vs V2 for the main video port).

From what I can see the Panasonic DP-UB450EB seems to have more compatility than other similar units, so that's top of my list unless someone can suggest an alternative?

The UB450 is the better bet in terms of handling DV/HDR material automatically. The Sony needs a setting changed in its menus. The Sony has apps., the 450 doesn't. As for the ability to route audio either via the TV or a/v kit, the Panasonic is probably your better bet, but you may still need to jump into the player's settings to make it work. I have both players, and use a 2x HDMI solution for both. They are pretty evenly matched overall for disc playback (with the earlier caveat) but to my ears, the Sony sounds better for CD playback. Build quality is similar, with the Sony having the edge. Both have small remote control units which are best replaced with something better.

Take a look at the blu-ray forum and take a look at the UB450 and X700 threads. At face value, the UB450 is probably your friend.

If only one of these players could run Plex in a solid fashion that would be a killer feature for me...

Can the Panasonic simply throw out raw audio via HDMI 1 & 2, to the TV and Amp? Or something akin to that? eg: Atmos to both (assuming the disc has that sound track)?

Yes, the Panasonic can do PCM/LPCM, so can the Sony.

A cheeky plug and also a suggestion. How would a Panasonic DMP-UB700 work with what you are looking for? Higher spec than the two suggested just a previous gen model.

Carl

A cheeky plug and also a suggestion. How would a Panasonic DMP-UB700 work with what you are looking for? Higher spec than the two suggested just a previous gen model.

Carl
HDR 10+ for future proofing?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom