Spec me a cheap DLNA BD player...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by k.jacko, Feb 20, 2013.

1. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,
    So, got the LG BX580 in my living room with the rest of my gear, but i want a bd player with DLNA upstairs in the bedroom, so i can (obviously) watch blu-rays films and also watch content on my network media centre.
    Reviews of the Samsung E5300 seems ok, although some say it's noisy, but at £50 that's seems like a bargain.

Or, maybe go for a 3d Panny to couple with my TV downstairs and bring the LG upstairs.

Any advice welcome, thanks. :)

2. Ric2764

Ric2764
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just spent ages looking into this and concluded what you're after doesn't exist.

Some BR players do have DLNA built in but reports are average at best - some owners reporting it works fine, others saying it doesn't work reliably. Seems to be the case across all manufacturers too, although I might have missed something obvious.

3. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I know what you're saying, but my LG BX580 works fine across the network 90% of the time. The other 10% it simply doesn't pick up the media centre.

Might go for another of those as they can be had for about £130 now i think, although i really don't want to spend that much.

4. Ric2764

Ric2764
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You just hit the nail on the head!

How bothered are you about blu ray playback? A Raspberry Pi will provide all streaming requirements for £35 inc all bits you need.

5. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not bad odds though. You can get plenty of wireless/networking devices that don't perform 100% of the time.
    My smart phone will sometimes take an age to pick up my AVR or TV to stream music to.

Well....ripping my BD library to the media centre has crossed my mind, but it's unlikely, so it will need to play BR disks.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    How about the Panasonic DMP-BD77 ? £74 on Amazon.

I have the BD75 in the bedroom and apart from 1 unit lock up, I can't say i've had any problems with it, Network or otherwise. They are not wireless, so i use mine with homeplugs. It is a bit slow on start-up, but generally it is doing a grand job.

The BD75 is still available and a few quid cheaper.