Spec me a cheap DLNA BD player...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by k.jacko, Feb 20, 2013.

  1. k.jacko

    k.jacko
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2007
    Messages:
    422
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    21
    Location:
    Nottingham
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,
    So, got the LG BX580 in my living room with the rest of my gear, but i want a bd player with DLNA upstairs in the bedroom, so i can (obviously) watch blu-rays films and also watch content on my network media centre.
    Reviews of the Samsung E5300 seems ok, although some say it's noisy, but at £50 that's seems like a bargain.

    Or, maybe go for a 3d Panny to couple with my TV downstairs and bring the LG upstairs.

    Any advice welcome, thanks. :)
     
  2. Ric2764

    Ric2764
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2013
    Messages:
    39
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just spent ages looking into this and concluded what you're after doesn't exist.

    Some BR players do have DLNA built in but reports are average at best - some owners reporting it works fine, others saying it doesn't work reliably. Seems to be the case across all manufacturers too, although I might have missed something obvious.
     
  3. k.jacko

    k.jacko
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2007
    Messages:
    422
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    21
    Location:
    Nottingham
    Ratings:
    +13
    I know what you're saying, but my LG BX580 works fine across the network 90% of the time. The other 10% it simply doesn't pick up the media centre.

    Might go for another of those as they can be had for about £130 now i think, although i really don't want to spend that much.
     
  4. Ric2764

    Ric2764
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2013
    Messages:
    39
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Ratings:
    +1
    You just hit the nail on the head!

    How bothered are you about blu ray playback? A Raspberry Pi will provide all streaming requirements for £35 inc all bits you need.
     
  5. k.jacko

    k.jacko
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2007
    Messages:
    422
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    21
    Location:
    Nottingham
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not bad odds though. You can get plenty of wireless/networking devices that don't perform 100% of the time.
    My smart phone will sometimes take an age to pick up my AVR or TV to stream music to.

    Well....ripping my BD library to the media centre has crossed my mind, but it's unlikely, so it will need to play BR disks.
     
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. Don Dadda

    Don Dadda
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    Messages:
    5,660
    Products Owned:
    1
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    136
    Location:
    London
    Ratings:
    +728
    How about the Panasonic DMP-BD77 ? £74 on Amazon.

    I have the BD75 in the bedroom and apart from 1 unit lock up, I can't say i've had any problems with it, Network or otherwise. They are not wireless, so i use mine with homeplugs. It is a bit slow on start-up, but generally it is doing a grand job.

    The BD75 is still available and a few quid cheaper.
     

Share This Page

Loading...