• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Spec check!

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
Considering upgrading as I have a bit of spare cash this month. Considering this bundle from Aria:

• FREE CPU Overclocking to 4.40GHz
• Intel® Core™ i5-2500K (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
• 4GB Mushkin Silverline #996768 (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz 9-9-9-24
• MSI P67A-G45 Intel P67 (REV B3) Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard
• Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 High Performance CPU Cooler
• Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

for £329.99 inc. VAT

I currently have a Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 and a Gigabyte P35C DS4R board. Already have case (NZXT Lexa Blackline), PSU (Corsair Vx550), Monitor, mouse, keyboard graphics card (Gigabyte 460GTX 1GB). Worthwhile investment? I'll be getting a new monitor and SSD early next year as that's the next time I anticipate I'll have enough spare cash. I have Windows 7 64 bit to install.

Was going to buy from OCUk but they're equivalent is about £60 more expensive and one of their forum mods banned me for 2 days for a comment in a thread which was seen by one of their forum mods already that I posted back in March. Call me petty but it wasn't that bad a comment either and no one else in the thread took offence!

Scan have the same kit (more or less) without OC for £328 but no OC or thermal paste.

4GB (2X2GB) Corsair XMS3, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 8-8-8-24, 1.65V £37.40 £44.88
Zalman CNPS5X Quiet Compact Tower CPU Cooler LGA1155/6, LGA775, AM3, AM2+, AM2, 754, 939, 940 £16.25 £19.50

Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, 1155, Sdy Bridge, QuadCore, 3.3GHz, GPU 850Mhz, 6MB Cache, 95W, Retail £129.99 £155.99

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3, Intel P67 Express, S 1155, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 1333, SATA 6Gb/s RAID, ATX £81.99 £98.39

Total £328.35 before I take off carriage for being an AVF member.

Although the Aria board has Sli and crossfire, i doubt I'd use it, I've always believed a single card to be better. Thoughts? Absolutely no more than £350 if you come up with something different and would prefer Intel over AMD.

Last edited:

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
good spec, the boards are probably a personal choice and should work fine. should go perfectly with a 460 until the time comes to upgrade that in a year or two

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
Well I ordered from Overclockers in the end. Free shipping and just a bit cheaper than Aria and quite a bit cheaper than SCan.

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor with FREE Operation Flashpoint Red River Game £134.99

MSI P67A-C45 Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) ** B3 REVISION ** £83.32

Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) £33.32

Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940/AM2/AM2+/AM3/LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366) £19.99

Total inc VAT and with delivery £325.94

MGRayd

Distinguished Member
Should be a great system! What GPU ate you using?

I upgraded from a Q6600 setup to this...

i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws
64GB SSD

Put in my HX650 PSU and my 5770 Crossfire and it's cracking!!

Ran GTA IV with it all cranked up and don't drop below 50fps. No stutter at all smooth as silk!!

Enjoy

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
That cooler, i would replace with a coolermaster hiper 212+

similar price, better spec.

The rest looks good. I myself have a sandy 2500K and its nice, (but my P8P67 mobo is pants so you are doing well be keeping away from Asus)

Aria will be my 1st port of call next purchase. Scan and overclockers were both less than brilliant in the sandybridge stuff where as i hear Aria were excellent.

gpu you say you have a 460 at the mo or are you asking if it is worth getting one?

if you already have one that is great, it should put you on a while and allow you get get next gen gpu or one of this gen cheaper, IF however you are asking if its a worth while investment for now i would say no.

if i was looking for a mid range gpu at moment i would be thinking the following - they cost a bit more than the GTX460 but money well spent imo.

GTX480 IF you are not bothered about energy usage or noise. (I am so i ruled it out)

ATI/AMD 2GB 6950 reference board if you can still get them (90% are flash-able to a functional 6970

OR

The one i went for The GTX 560 Ti

its nip and tuck with the 6950 better in some games, lesser in others.....

most definitely slower than the a 6950 flashed to 6970 mind you BUT i personally prefer nvidia drivers AND i had a few games which supported physx and i tell you what, i wish physx had taken off, its amazing.

batman looks the dogs danglies.

Last edited:

athelstan

I thought that the Asus motherboard and chip set were the best for sandy bridge? All of the reviews I have seen recommend the p867 boards over the rest. What is wrong with it?

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
Loads of people complaining of instability and problems with the Asus boards.

I already have a Gigabyte GTX460 1GB with a mild overclock so won't be changing that at all. Next upgrade will be an SSD, they can only come down in price, then maybe a 1080p monitor and new gfx card early next year. I refuse to pay over £200 for a graphics card (it used to be £100!) so will be waiting for a good card to come uder that.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I thought that the Asus motherboard and chip set were the best for sandy bridge? All of the reviews I have seen recommend the p867 boards over the rest. What is wrong with it?

from a customer service point of view they did the bare mininum on the sandybridge swap out, where as MSI & gigabyte did at the door swapovers with asus you have to be without a pc for up to 10 working days. That alone has put me off Asus in the future

That aside however....

it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get my pc to power on, the rest of the time it simply turns on for a few seconds and then turns off again.
This happens far more when overclocked than at stock, however it DOES happen at stock as well.

The marvel sata chipset seems ropey. running my dvd drive off the marvel ports is disasterous, with read errors and trouble getting the dvd drive to initialise disks. It works fine on the intel sata ports (which is ok i guess now i have my B3 board with fixed Sata)

My B3 board is just not as stable as my old B2 one either when over clocking.

I know my ram and chip are good as my B2 board would run at 4.8ghz albeit a little flakely, but was rock steady at 4.6ghz.

My new board I cant even RUN the auto autoclocking software let along let it come up with a new speed. on running the auto overclock, rather than find a max stable overclock, it just freezes on the windows loading screeen.. this happened multiple times, 2 of which my SSd got corrupted and i had to format and start from scratch.

It IS stable at stock so there is not much i can do about it, however for a board which is sold with over clocking in mind, it is not very good....

bottom line just read forums about the p8p67 boards.... whilst it is true some people do not have problems, they do seem to be far more troublesome than other boards, and i think ASUS know there is summat wrong, there are a lot of bios updates continually coming out for it to improve stability / compatibility.

Last edited:

eiren

Distinguished Member
Nice! There's nothing like waiting for new hardware to arrive, and the excitement of the build.

Makes me want to upgrade just thinking about it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom