1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speakers???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by damien, Nov 6, 2002.

1. damien

damien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im after a speaker package (5.1) to be directley ran from my sony dvpns700 it has a built in d.d d.t.s decoder in so i dont really want to invest in a separate amp budget is around 400ish

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Internal decoders on DVD players are generally reserved for people who wish to upgrade existing pro logic amplifiers with 6ch inputs. As a result of this, I think it's unlikely that you'll end up using the internal decoder of your DVD player as most "new" stuff tends to be DD/DTS compliant already...

However, If you're just after an active speaker package that you can run off of you're DVD player (I think that's what you're after if I've read your post correctly...) then you could consider the Sony HT-BE1 (think thats the right model no.) - I believe that this has it's own decoder built into it (so you'd only need to connect it up via a digital lead from your DVD player) but I can't think of any speaker packages that are around at the moment that are active and include a 6ch input... Also, If you read around then I think you'll soon discover that decoders built into seperate amplifiers are generally regarded as being somewhat better than those built into DVD players anyway.

Hope the above makes sense... it's been a long day!!!

Kelvin :D

p.s. - you might want to consider posting threads like this in the Amplifier section in future!!! ;)

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    all in all, you would be best in buying an old av amp which has 6 channel input and no dd and dts. These are dirt cheap.....£100 is way in excess of the value in most cases. With this then use a standard speaker system....... im fairly sure this route will be superior to using an active package in most every way.

ad

4. damien

damien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive been looking at a amp at my local richer sounds its only £120 and its an aiwa dont know if itl sound any good any ideas

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Rather get one of the recently discontinued Sony, Denon or Yamaha amps like the Yamaha DSP620. I recently sold my 6 month old example for just £80!
    It is probably much better than the Aiwa(I haven't heard the Aiwa, but their AV amp pedigree is poor). These are easily found second-hand too. See this forums Want Ads.
    Otherwise look at the even older Sony pro-logic amps which will work via 6 channel input.
    All will best the Aiwa.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    im after a speaker package (5.1) to be directley ran from my sony dvpns700 it has a built in d.d d.t.s decoder in so i dont really want to invest in a separate amp budget is around 400ish

You could use active speakers but you still will need at least some kind of preamp to control the volume as the player IMHO doesn't offer that. (Hardly any DVD player does)
    Best and cheapest would probably some 2nd hand equipment, an old Dolby Pro-Logic amplifier with 5.1 (6-Channel) input.