Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BJO, Aug 21, 2001.

1. BJO

BJO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has any onehad any experience in using B&W nautilus speakers in Home Cinema set ups and if so what amp/processor do you use?

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BJ,<br />A few months ago I had the pleasure of a lengthy listening session with a Nautilus set up in Hong Kong.<br />My good friend TK Chan has a fantastic set up with Mark Levinson amplification and B&W speakers.<br />His front pair was the model down from the top of the range shell like monsters. I think they were called 801. They were huge with two black domes on the top with the tapered tweeters on top of the black domes. He had a dedicated centre (again Nautilus but much smaller), dipole surrounds and a B&W sub.<br />The whole package did sound great but I feel the front pair somewhat overpowered the rest of the speakers.<br />The big 801's clearly sounded warmer than the centre and surrounds. It was obvious to me that they were intended and more suitable for two channel duty.<br />In fact in stereo with nothing else interfering with them, they sounded quite surreal.<br />Maybe TK should have bought five of these for his system lol.

Eric

3. BJO

BJO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Eric,<br />It was actually 801's that I am considering at the moment but being so large I will have to be careful what I partner them with. I know I will have to upgrade my Yamaha A1 with separate amp(s?)/processor (NOT Mark Levinson!!) but I was intending to do this anyway, Would you have any suggestions what to use to drive these? I was also going to buy the large B&W Center (HTM1) and for surrounds was considering using my existing Ruark Prologue front speakers, Would you have any opinions on this plan?? Thanks again for the reply. BJO

4. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Nautilus 805's with the HTM2 centre and have the speakers on wonderful granite stands that have been tailored to the specs of the 805's. The stands add real bass weight and definition to these speakers as they have such high mass and stability. The stands are available from HNE.co.uk and I would recomend this setup wholeheartedly.

I use a Meridian 568 processor and a Chord 1200C (350w @8Ohms/channel) amp to drive the L&R and a Chord 1900 5 ch amp to drive C,RS,RR,LR,LS (side/rears are M&K SS150THX tripoles). The sound of this setup is truly awesome.

One of the problems of the N801/HTM1 combination is the tonal matching as you would probably have to set the HTM1 to small to allow a really high quality sub to match the bass responses of the N801's. If you have the megabucks (and the space) a truly awesome system would be three 801's across the front. I remember about 18 months ago that there was an article in HCC about a visit to B&W to hear five N801's driven by Krell FBC monoblocks. I think that the author was in raptures about the power of that system!

One thing that you should be aware of is that the Nautilus speakers (like all top end B&W's) are extremely power/current hungry. For example, I moved to the 805's from the B&W Matrix 802's and my 1200C was the only amp that I have owned that drove these properly - my Mitchell Alecto monoblocks that I hae previously were not man enough to drive the 802's. Give them a powerful high quality amp and they absolutely sing, give them anything else and you really wonder why you spent so much on the speakers.

I would consider that my Chord 1200C (cost about £4.5k)would not be powerful enough to drive the N801's - you really need powerful monoblocks (£4.5k/channel) to provide the welly that these wonderful speakers need. If you have the budget to buy N801's & the HTM1, but not the suitable amplification, I would spend more on the amplification and consider the N802's or 803's.

In passing, there is a real synergy between top end B&W speakers and Chord amplification. Chord use B&W speakers to test & develop their amps and I understand that B&W use Chord amps too for much of their testing. Chord amps are every bit as good as Krell or ML, cost less, are British and you get really top quality support from them, if you need it.

You would also get a truly fantastic setup by spending far less on the N805's, HTM1 or HTM2 and two top of the range subs (M&K 500 or M&K 350's). You could also get the new Nautilus surrounds (£1.5k/pair) to get a voice matched system of epic capabilities.

Hope this helps