Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Earl, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Earl

Earl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also posted this in the hifi section, but was told it might be better here, so...Right.

I've posted on here a few times asking for advice, but I'm a guy who puts a lot of thought into these things, find it difficult to make decisions and I don't like to part with my cash, unless I'm completely sold on something.

Well, I thing I've (finally) settled on an amp. To me, it seems perfect. - The Rotel Ra-12

Has a built in phono pre amp, for my denon dp300f - currently, this will be my main source of music.

but it also has a usb port, and bluetooth capabilities- excellent.

So please, don't recommend me any more amps - i'll only end up getting distracted, and be stuck back at square one.

My question is more on the speaker front. Can anyone recommend me speakers. Bookshelf, preferably, at this point in time. I'd imagine i'll upgrade at some point in the future.

budget for speaker - £200 sound reasonable?

Help much appreciated, as always.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    Great amp, but one must ask, why are you putting £200/pr speakers on a £600 amp?

I would say if you have a £600 amp, then to best serve the amp, you need £600 to £1200/pr speakers.

Though to be fair, you didn't say £200 per PAIR, you simply said £200, so it that EACH or per PAIR?

The two that would top the list are the Wharfedale Diamond 122 or the Monitor Audio BX2. Both good speakers with good bass, and well balanced. Some might say the Monitor Audio are a tad brighter than the Diamond, but that is really down to opinion.

The Diamond 122 are about £279/pr

The Monitor Audio BX2 are about £250/pr (from memory).

If you want quality speakers even remotely close to the quality of your amp, then I would not recommend going lower than this.

Though there is one more. If you do not want intense bass, then the Dali Zensor 1 is a highly rated speaker which can be close to the walls and even wall mounted. And while it has decent bass specs, it is not overly bassy. Priced from memory at about £175/pr.

The Wharfedale and Monitor Audio are also well balanced speakers, but with a bit more noticeable bass, nothing excessive though.

[ame=http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Wharfedale+Diamond+122&oq=Wharfedale+Diamond+122&gs_l=products-cc.3..0.2163.6226.0.6826.22.11.0.11.11.1.173.1309.3j8.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.SJ1VYRVVJWo]Wharfedale Diamond 122 - Google Search[/ame]

[ame=http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Monitor+Audio+BX2&oq=Monitor+Audio+BX2&gs_l=products-cc.3..0.2078.8789.0.9012.29.16.8.5.5.1.261.1979.3j11j2.16.0...0.0...1ac.1.hHnSrf3egnA]Monitor Audio BX2 - Google Search[/ame]

[ame=http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Dali+Zensor+1&oq=Dali+Zensor+1&gs_l=products-cc.3..0l2.6734.9524.0.9810.13.6.0.7.7.0.123.640.1j5.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.njOdjTloNOE]Dali Zensor 1 - Google Search[/ame]

Though in all honesty, while any of these speakers would be good with any amp, I think you should double or triple your speakers budget. Still, not everything happens today. You get these speakers and enjoy them for years, and upgrade when you are ready.

Does that help at all?

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  3. Earl

Earl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea. I envisage upgrading the speakers at some point, but not the amp.

I had set myself a budget of £800, so when I found that amp, I wasn't leaving a lot for speakers (£200, total)

Tho I could probably stretch to £300

Perhaps, I'd be better looking for second hand speakers then?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Have you considered buying second hand instead as this will give you more for your money. Thus will mean speakers that will make more use of the good amplification you have. Have a look on the classifieds here or eBay.

5. Earl

Earl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have considered second hand, yes.

Just looking some advice, as I'm pretty new to this whole thing!

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    If looking at secondhand then this could bring in speaker like:

Monitor Audio RS/RX ranges
    May even get an old pair of PMC DBs in budget
    B&W 600 series
    Kef Q range (not sure R range would be within budget)

When looking secondhand you can either see what is around your budget that you like the look off and then post here for comment. Or decide on the specific speaker you want then keep an eye out for one to come up within your budget.