1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers & wood floors

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RanjanB, Jan 23, 2001.

1. RanjanB

RanjanB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have a wood laminate floor. What affect should this have on our choice of speakers?

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Possibly a bright and echoey sound.
    Try it and see. As long as there is some soft furnishing in the room it will prob. be fine.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

3. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have wood floors in my HC room and have resorted to mounting my fronts (floorstanders) on blu-tac to get a firm footing (and to prevent damage to the floor).
    My rears are on stands, which also sit on blu-tac.

Strange as it might sound, this has improved the bass response - I guess because the speakers are no longer wobbling around and losing energy. No more annoying vibrations at low frequencies.

My sub has rubber feet anyway so that's fine.

The other thing I noticed with wood floors, was mentioned briefly in the post above.
    You can get a slightly echoey sound. This was noticeable when I first moved in and had no curtains or soft furnishings - of course, the first & most important thing was to get the HC up and running!!!

As soon as I'd hung curtains, put a sofa in and unrolled a big rug, the sound was 100 times better. No more echo & less tinny sound.

My Sony 940 amp has a setting for wall hardness & this can also help to counteract the effect of having a "hard" floor. I set mine slightly more towards hard than the default and this improved things even more.

I don't know if other amps have this sort of function, but I suggest you experiment if yours does.

Gid

[This message has been edited by GidGrace (edited 24-01-2001).]