Speakers won’t work with my vintage record player

vincento96

Novice Member
I have an old record player from the sixties, it has a small built in speaker which is awful, so I bought some speakers for it today but the sound doesn’t work. my record player only has 3 inputs which I think are all just aux inputs they are - “stereo” “radio” and “tape”. The speakers I bought are “Jvc Bluetooth bookshelf speakers” which connect to the record player via rca to aux. I got the speakers from curry’s and they said that the speakers should just plug straight in and work without a preamp.
I tried connecting a really bad little portable speaker I have to my record player via an aux to aux connection which worked. I’ve also tried connecting to my new speakers via Bluetooth and they also work. so I have no idea why my speakers aren’t working with the record player. Do I need a preamp? Is it something wrong with the cables? Is anybody able to help? Cheers

Orobas

I have an old record player from the sixties, it has a small built in speaker which is awful, so I bought some speakers for it today but the sound doesn’t work. my record player only has 3 inputs which I think are all just aux inputs they are - “stereo” “radio” and “tape”. The speakers I bought are “Jvc Bluetooth bookshelf speakers” which connect to the record player via rca to aux. I got the speakers from curry’s and they said that the speakers should just plug straight in and work without a preamp.
I tried connecting a really bad little portable speaker I have to my record player via an aux to aux connection which worked. I’ve also tried connecting to my new speakers via Bluetooth and they also work. so I have no idea why my speakers aren’t working with the record player. Do I need a preamp? Is it something wrong with the cables? Is anybody able to help? Cheers
you will need a phono preamp to go between the record player and the amp/speakers... the phono out is not line level as you have just found out :)

vincento96

Novice Member
Thank you! I thought it might be something to do with a preamp but I’m still confused as to why it works with my bad portable speaker?

Orobas

are you sure the record player only has inputs ??? can you take a photo of the connections and upload to here so we can double check.. i might have misread your original post and want to be sure

vincento96

Novice Member
These are the only inputs (I say inputs but there might be a different technical word for this)

Attachments

• CC172D79-86E7-4725-9C18-61C194F629B9.jpeg
    CC172D79-86E7-4725-9C18-61C194F629B9.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 99

JayCee

Distinguished Member
To use external speakers with that you need an ext output not inputs as shown in your picture.
Inputs allow you to connect a tape or radio unit and you would then have the sound coming from the built-in speaker as shown in your picture.
Upload a picture showing this “Aux” socket that you connected another speaker to.

Orobas

These are the only inputs (I say inputs but there might be a different technical word for this)
hmm.... i can see the unit has its own amp built in.. ive found other photos of this.. but i cant seem to find a model number for it.. The model number is .. looking down inside.. from the top .. on the right front side of the unit i believe where the speed selector is.. i thought it was a 2030 at first .. but its not

vincento96

Novice Member
Here’s the model and serial number Orobas

Attachments

• E2A6CF38-09EA-49E4-A355-3F8440CF40C1.jpeg
    E2A6CF38-09EA-49E4-A355-3F8440CF40C1.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 97

vincento96

Novice Member
Jaycee sorry I think I’ve been phrasing inputs wrong , the only 3 visible connection ports (holes to plug something in) are the stereo, tape and radio. When I plugged in a really cheap portable speaker I plugged it into the stereo port via an aux to aux connection and it worked

Orobas

Here’s the model and serial number Orobas
They appear to be all inputs only... that use the record player's internal amp .. you would need to check the speaker to see if its blown (replace if needed) and then work back through the amp on this one to fault find sadly....

The stereo jack would most probably likely be a headphone socket if you can hear the sound coming out..

JayCee

Distinguished Member
When I plugged in a really cheap portable speaker I plugged it into the stereo port via an aux to aux connection and it worked
Are you absolutely sure about that or is your memory playing tricks as those sockets definitely look like inputs.
Easiest way to check is to play a vinyl and plug that portable speaker into that socket again and listen for sound from it and make sure you aren’t hearing the sound from the built-in one.

vincento96

Novice Member
100% sure, tried it out earlier today before buying the new speakers to see if it would work then tried it again after buying the new speakers when the new speakers didn’t work, and the cheap old ones worked through the stereo

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Okay, I Googled them.
Did you connect both speakers together with the included speaker wire as shown on page 10 of the JVC user manual?
You then use a 3.5mm stereo jack to RCA Phono cable (not included) with the minijack end plugged in to the socket marked “Stereo” on your record player and the Red/White Phono plugs plugged in to the Aux in socket on the speaker and select the Aux input using the JVC remote.

vincento96

Novice Member
I’ve just double checked, it’s all wired correctly and retried and it’s still not working. Do you think it could be the 3.5mm jack to rca cable?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
An easy way to test it is to plug it in to anything with a headphone socket, Mobile Phone, TV etc.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Plug headphones into the stereo socket on the record player and check if there's an output.

gibbsy

I have a player, a Bush, in the late 1960s that also had a socket to connect to a separate powered speaker for a stereo set up. The connection with a DIN one on top of the main player along with the rotary volume dials. I can see it still in my minds eye but can't remember the model name. It was great as stereo LPs were only just becoming popular.

It could be that the stereo socket could be a connection to a separate powered speaker?

vincento96

Novice Member
Update- so I tried plugging headphones into the record player via the stereo socket and it sort of worked, it was just very very quiet. I then tried my cheap Portable speaker again and that still worked fine.
But I then decided to try playing my phone through the record player to see if that would work, which it did. I plugged my phone into the “stereo” hole and it was quiet but still played, plugged it into the “radio” hole and it played louder and the same with the “tape” hole.
So now I’m even more confused as to how it plays through my cheap speaker 😫🤯

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You started this thread stating that the sound quality from your old record player’s built-in speaker was “awful” and you want to connect external speakers.
Forget about using the Radio and Tape sockets, those are inputs meaning any equipment you connect to those sockets (e.g. your mobile phone) will play through the record player's built-in speaker...which you've told us is “awful”.
If you want to play a vinyl and have better sound quality than the built-in speaker you need to use the record player’s output which is the socket marked “Stereo” and connect it to an amp or powered speakers.
You've tried connecting a cheap speaker which works but you've bought a higher quality powered stereo speakers setup...which works but isn't loud enough.

The conclusion can only be that the cheap single speaker must have a much higher input sensitivity than the new JVC system and you'll need to use a preamp from the stereo output socket if you want to use the JVC system.

STCFTHOTS

Novice Member
Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind me joining onto this thread but I found it whilst searching for the solution for my own problem...

I have the same speakers as OP however I am using the Superior LP music centre to play my LP. I have connected the speakers and music centre using an RCA cable with white and red ends on both ends. I am getting no sound which is frustrating. Last week I managed to get music playing through the speaker by turning down the volume on my music centre and clicking the BT and Pair buttons on my JVC remote but now I cannot recreate this. Is there a permanent solution that someone could recommend please? Its really frustrating not being able to listen to my vinyls through these speakers :p

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Welcome.
Can you supply the brand and model number of your music centre?
Also, can you upload a picture of the connections on it?

STCFTHOTS

Novice Member
Welcome.
Can you supply the brand and model number of your music centre?
Also, can you upload a picture of the connections on it?
Hi, I cannot find the model number however if you search "

ION Superior LP Bluetooth Music Centre - Black Ash

" you should be able to find the model, it is about £130 :) I have attached a photo of the connections, I've been using an RCA cable with same connections on both ends. The speakers came with an RCA & 3.5mm jack cable which I tried too without success.

avforums.png

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Amazon Prime Day 2021 coming 21st -22nd June
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for July 2021