• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speakers without sub. 5.0...

Anderzz

Established Member
Is this a viable option temporarily, basically i want a nice speaker setup but i have my heart set on an svs cylinder sub, however i dont think i can handle spending all that cash in one go.

Is it okay to go for just speakers first without a sub?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Yes it is, as long as you consider you are missing out on a big chunk when it comes to films.
It really should be a high priority though.
Of course, it all depends on the speakers you buy and how low they go, as too how much exactly you'll be missing.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Anderzz

I'd second that. I ran my system without a subwoofer for a couple of years. If you have a half decent amp and speaker package you'll be fine. Just remember to switch the sub off on the amplifier.

Regards. Shane.

Anderzz

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was gonna buy an onkyo 605 amp. then was considering the SVS 5.1 package on deal thread. (minus sub)

Room i plan on putting them in is narrow at 5.36m long and 2.5m wide.

Guess saving for a sub is a huge factor, which i thought it would be tbh. But its nice to know that i can run speakers 5 ways without the sub first for as short as poss

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
If you really must do away with the sub, which IMHO, isn't a great idea, then I wouldn't start with the SVS SBS-01 and I'm a fan.

As a small sealed speaker, they've been specifically designed by SVS (a sub manufacturer remember) to roll off at 80Hz, precisely where a sub would nominally take over. They're part of a speaker/sub system and if you don't treat them as such, you'll end up missing more than just sub-bass.

I'd recommend looking at some nominally full range packages like the Wharfdale Evo package here or some such like.

Russell

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Whilst I agree with Russ.Will, it all depends on how temporary you're talking about, IMO.
If we're talking a good while, I'd go with Russ.
Monitor audio are another shout in that sense.

But if it's very short term, you could do a lot worse than the SVS. They work very well with any SVS sub in my experience.
But then, I openly admit to being somewhat biased :)
My PB13 Ultra arrives on tuesday :thumbsup: :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom