1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers with your AV32r

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Rad, May 18, 2004.

1. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello folks,

I currently run my AV32R with a Parasound 1205a and a set of Tannoy Revolutions, R1's (surround), R3's (main) and a RC (centre).

Here's the thing, I've just recently been doing quite a bit of o/t and was looking to upgrade my speakers (before the other half spends it all on shoes and stuff).

What do you guys use, how much were they and have you got any no no's that just don't go with the TAG.

I would say my use is 50/50 between music and films, Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Rich.

2. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Rich,

I use B&W Nautilus 803's, HTM 1 and planning B&W DS 7 for the rears. For me a perfect match with the Tag gear. (At the moment surrounds are B&W DS6 (sides) and JM Lab Chorus SR700 (back surr).
    Two Tag 250MR drive the fronts, a 100x5R is being used for the surrounds and centre while I hope to receive a 100x4R so I can bi-amp the centre.

3. kallenby

kallenby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should audition the PMC range of speakers - from FB1 onwards (OB1 is their current bestseller for obvious reasons - they sound v.good.)

i hav TMC front end kit and they certainly seem to work well together - but the amps you use are also v.important.

4. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I use a Pair of B&W 805 Signatures @ the front.

A B&W LCR 60 Centre.

Pair of Boston VRS Micros for the rear.

REL Quake Subwoofer.

Probably not the Ultmate in surround terms, but the 805 Sig's are well funky when used as the main 2 fronts with a Tag AV32.

Cheers

5. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers guys,

Keep em coming.

Rich.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    B&W 805s here,run off Krell KMA 100 monoblocs.

The 805's come to about £1600 per pair if I remember,and like most of the B&W's,require bags of power,and good current delivery.

I'd avoid anything sounding very forward,as the TAG does tend to sound a little bright anyway,although your Parasound amp will take any edge off very nicely without losing detail or attack.
    Others worth looking at would include the Wilson Benesch range(I tried the Arc when choosing a new set of speakers,and thought it was very well made and nice sounding),and some of the ProAc speakers may also suit you.
    You could also take a look at ATC,although they're best in their active lineups.

The Revel range is also worth a look,and the little M20 is superb for the money.

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya.

Amps do indeed enter into the equation here but all things being equal try any of the above and maybe the M&K SS150/2510 range?

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd certainly advise trying as many as you can,and by no means exclude M&K,but they're definitely slanted more towards AV than music(just my opinion!),and may end up sounding a bit more biassed towards that.

One other I just remembered...Totem Acoustics..nice range to suit all prices.

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Remember that thousands of recording studios around the world use M&K..... :rolleyes:
    Going from B&W 805's to M&K 2510's is a real eye opener with TMA gear/amps ;)

So many things can alter the effect of how speakers sound in the listeners room, recommending anything is just a starting point really, audition in your home before making a decision is the only sensible advise here. Maybe some one :lesson: "ought to ask what budget the chap is working on"

10. kallenby

kallenby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could also put on your list the following for audition :-

Canton speakers from Germany i think -they seem to sound good - at least what i've heard here.

Epos speakers - say no more; they were the reference speaker for Audiolab & are sonically excellent.

Happy auditioning - just remember that the amp / speaker combination is extremely important; for the same reason i use PMC with Bryston, Parasound is American so American loudspeakers may be more sonically suited & applicable to this amp that you have...

it's a bit like beers really - you should always choose the beer that suits the food you eat, for thai food - drink thai beer etc......

11. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers guys,

The budget will be around the £2k mark so these look very interesting.

Demoing is kinda hard up here in Aberdeen, especially since sevenoaks shut down, I'm going to be down south though for the Isle of Wight and Glastonbury so I'm going to try and get as much demoing done as possible when I'm there.

Some nice ideas though, keep em coming.

Cheers,
    Rich.

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Exactly why I said M&K.... :rolleyes:

Demo'ing in shops is a good start but the home is whre they end up and trust me they will sound very different especially if they are hooked up to different kit at the demo....Life's a bitch eh......

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Absolutely agree with you re. the number of studios using M&K,although I think B&W have a toe hold in there as well(!) and I seem to remember Skywalker Sound settling on B&W/Chord for mastering.

Seriously though,you're absolutely right,and your point about the speaker/room interaction is the major point in many ways...certainly it was the reason I had to change speakers when moving house,and why I settled on the 805's after listening to god knows how many others(until my wife eventually lost patience).

The other point you made about speakers hooked up to different amps in the showroom was nearly enough to lose a sale when I tried the 805's with a TAG 5 channel power amp in a dealer's rooms...sounded totally transformed with Krells.

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yep!

It just goes to show that kit and rooms can have opposite effects as I went from 805's to 2510's in the same room with the same kit.....If someone could work all this out without countless demo's they would make a fortune :D

15. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    LOL...glad to see others have been through the same wranglings over equipment!

If only certain dealers partnered their speakers etc with amps that were up to the job...my previous speakers were Linn Keltiks,and I remember trying them out in the dealer's triamped active setup(using Linn Lk100 amps) and thinking how quickly it ran out of power...that was the problem I found with the B&W's and the Tag amp also.

Still...it keeps all of us trying for better setups,and the market supplying us!

16. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 100x5R powered:

Infinity Intermezzo 3.5c centre

Mission 753 fronts

Definitive Tech. BP-8 rears

An odd combo but once it was TMREQ'd by a certain 'Bazza' it sounded a whole lot better.

I am now concidering something from the Quad range as the decor has changed with black ash #1 on the missus 'hate' list....

17. Peter

Peter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a budget of 2k, consider smaller speakers (not full-range) and two good subs. This gives better potential to control room resonances, and you get better value than if you bought full-range speakers with the same extension.

For years I stuck with one small REL sub, but recently upgraded to two B&W ASW850 and don't regret it for a second. Some have told me the B&W subs are too 'polite' and 'slow' - they haven't been in my listening room.

It would be nice if TMREQ could be set with different filters for each sub...

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Peter.

Agreed that is why I said M&K :laugh:

BTW, why didn't you just get another REL sub? B&W subs are very difficult to integrate in most rooms for the reasons you state, you must be lucky!

Regarding filter sets for each sub, this isn't possible unless each sub gets its own output from the AV32DP/192R, however most of us I am sure have ETF'd each one individually and depending on the results set TMREQ with both subs running referenced from the listening point. If things go all wonky, moving one of the subs around usually cures it.

19. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have taken a slightly different approach to this recently. I now use my 100x5r to drive sides and rears and at the moment the centre as well. But the L and R have been upgraded from Kef Ref 4.2 to Genelec 1037c professional monitors. These are active three way speakers. The plan is to add a third for C when funds become available and then baffle mount the front three.

I listened to loads of amps / speaker combinations in this long ‘project' but kept coming back to the active option as being the best. Some are really cheap and top quality as well (Genelec / Blue Sky?) where other push the boundries of what is possible. I like to think that my 1037c are in the latter category but if you look at The Genelec range my model is only halfway up the range :) This gave me a significant upgrade from the Tag (250w) / Bryston (300w / 600w) feeding Kef 4.2.

20. Peter

Peter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found no problem integrating the subs at all (and they matched the styling of the other speakers, unlike the REL, plus they are a lot more powerful and I have a very large room).

Fully appreciate the TMREQ points, but I can't help wanting it!

21. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Rad:

To follow up on your question (and Graham's response) I will add that I have had (at least to my ears) excellent results with M&K speakers. I use the following kit:

- M&K MPS-2550 L/C/R
    - M&K MPS-1625 SR/SL
    - M&K MX-350 MKII THX subwoofers (two of these)
    - TMA AV-192R
    - TMA DVD-32R
    - TMA 100x5R

Hope that this helps... even if only a little.

Cheers,

Joel

22. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers guys,

The old internet is fairly getting a pounding today at my work, I still hope to get a listen to some of these sugestions before I make my mind up though.

Rich.

23. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, I'm running B&W CDM7SE front, CDMCSE center, CDMSNT side and CDM1SE back in a 7.1 set up powered by Rotel 985B MKII THX (front and sides) and Rotel 951 (back), letting an SVS 25-31PC+ (tuned to 20Hz) take care of the bass (crossover set to 80Hz for all speakers - easy way out...)

TMREQ'd of course... makes a world of difference

I'm actually quite happy at the moment although I think amps will be the next upgrade.

However, the M&K's and PMC's have peeked my interest...

24. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Peter.
    Each to his own, mate :)
    Mind you REL/M&K and the servo subs (Paradigm etc.) are very powerful and frankly humble B&W in most setups.....like I said, consider yourself lucky. ;)

Two sub outputs and separate TMREQ filters, well I doubt we will see that happen but there is nothing wrong with suggesting it but I'm sure you realise that is a shed load of work to make it fly.....

25. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301

I know that this is the TMG forum and sorry to dig up an old thread but I just want to point that I couldnt disagree more with the above post. I havent found a Rel sub yet that can compete with an B&W ASW750 let alone the two ASW850's that Peter has got in his set up. M&K subs are nothing special and are frankly overpriced -compare a ASW750 retailing at £1200 with the M&K V850 at the same price and you will find a night and day difference in performance. The Servo15 is a good sub no doubt but I have had 2 Paradigm Servo15 owners round my house and both of them preferred the ASW750 and another guy who preferred the ASW750 over a two Servo setup he had just heard (obviously the normal room caveats apply)

The ASW850 is better than the 750. Nothing from the likes of REL and M&k even come close to it. Peter isnt lucky, hes just bought the right equipment.
    And talking of power, although I know it isnt everything, how many subs from the likes of REL, M&K have you seen with a 15" driver and an on board 1000rms amp ?

26. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there, I'm using KEF reference 201's for the front, RDM2's for the surrounds and back surrounds, a model 100 for the centre and a REL Stampede for the sub.

Cheers
    Rob.

27. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hello people

my first posting in this forum...

i use kef reference speakers (203, 202c, 201 and a pair of q1 as surroundbacks) with a revel performa b15 subwoofer. the kef's are driven by a mcintosh 7205 amp to ease the slight forwardness of the tag av32r dp, because the kef's are also quite neutral to a little analytical. combined with the quite forward and analytical sound of the dualsharc it would have been too much for my taste, so i brought in the smooth and powerful sound of mcintosh to match the rest of the chain. i'm very happy with the soundstage and the sound being totally loosened from the speakers. the music/soundtracks are very detailed, without beeing too cold and harsh. it's really a very good constellation in this chain and all i would do (if i had the money) would be to use a big(ger) stereo amp (mc252/mc352 or mc402) from mcintosh for the fronts...

greetings from liechtenstein
    christoph

ps: sorry for some maybe wrong or strange expressions, because english isn't my motherlanguage. i would appreciate it very much if someone whose motherlanguage IS english would correct me with the worst mistakes i built in ;)

28. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Rad

Sorry missed this post originally :blush:

Give Holburn Hi-Fi a try in Aberdeen as they are TAG stockists. I bought a 250x3R from them at a very good price and I found them to be very helpful, even to a Glaswegian!

29. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Oh dear, oh dear, whatever next, someone disagreeing over what speakers (and especially subs) to buy and use :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

If you read Peter's post he does say that his room is "very large" and that is almost certianly the reason why he likes them, in any normal room (or any of our studios for that matter) they are simply far too overblown and when we had the chaps from B&W in to advise us on the best setup in a few new studios at Madia Vale studios they also were (how should I say) very "open" on the subject of B&W subs............

I personally don't like M&K subs either but that is down to my room as I have fitted loads for other people as I have REL and the better "servo'ed" subs all with excellent measured results, if you want to rattle your bones/fillings/house when the meteor slams into the earth then fine use the big B&W, for everything else (very large room possibly accepted, or bass heads) I'd consider most of the other choices listed above first. Remember the guy wanted opinions (and background to why), that is what most of us have given.
    Never rubbish the opposition without giving some background and therefore forcing your choice on others. At the risk of sounding like a well worn record......At the end of the day it is their money and their ears that listen to it (i.e. thier choice).

Fair?

30. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I would never call the ASW850 overblown - its an absolutely fantastic sub which is great for both music and movies. Most people in the know here wouldnt give REL another look given the quality of subs out there at the moment from SVS, Velodyne, B&W etc. REL are definately good at one thing and thats marketing. I have heard some of the smaller RELS and tbh wouldnt recommend them to anyone but your right its all a matter of personal preference.

If you dont want to take my word for it - there was an excellent review of subwoofers in the AVTech supplement of HIFI News inc the ASW850 and the REL Stadium III. I think you will find that the ASW850 did very well.

And your point about never rubbish the opposition without some background is pretty much exactly what you did below -

To me there are lots of things wrong with your sweeping statement but there is no point going into it again. It's all about peoples personal preference/opinion and clearly we should agree to disagree.