Speakers with high power handling (low budget)

I think you're looking too much into manufacturer's stats. Take speaker's power handling as a rough guide. If you can hear distortion then you've got the amp turned up too high or your amp isn't powerful enough for the volume you want (not enough current). Generally the louder the volume, the more distortion. I think it's better to have an amp with plenty of power than an under powered amp.

After all, its how the speaker sounds to your ears, not what figures they have on paper. Two speakers with the same or similar stats can sound very different.

I think you're looking too much into manufacturer's stats. Take speaker's power handling as a rough guide. If you can hear distortion then you've got the amp turned up too high or your amp isn't powerful enough for the volume you want (not enough current). Generally the louder the volume, the more distortion. I think it's better to have an amp with plenty of power than an under powered amp.

After all, its how the speaker sounds to your ears, not what figures they have on paper. Two speakers with the same or similar stats can sound very different.
I like this simple explanation of what to look for in the sound of your system and when to still your hand on the volume control. My fairly modest DRA 800 h has never driven my B&W 606 or Concept 20 speakers to distortion. Most of the time we play between 70 and 80% volume. I see no point in turning it any louder. :lesson:

I think pro-audio active monitors + active sub with high pass line out would probably do the job best without having to go into PA territory. Even my old KRK V6 + V12 sub series can manage over 110dBC with music which for many people is probably loud enough for the neighbours to be calling the police :)

But shouldn’t 85 dB speakers be enough for desktop setup?

One meter away from the speakers. I just don’t understand OP obsession about having the volume as loud as 95 dB in near field setup!

As Status Quo might have said…‘whatever you want..whatever you like…’ 🙂

“And everyone you fight”

“All you dislike”.

@Ugg10, has explained this thoroughly earlier in the tread. Nevertheless maybe OP can see it.

Have you even tried Klipsh speakers in your listing room? Klipsh R-1M.

As example you owned QA before. Did it occur to you to perhaps get pre/power amplifier to get more fun from them.

Didn’t you own the Rotel A11 before?

This perhaps... I’m done. Good luck.

Klipsh R-1M ? Klipsch did release new speakers

AVimg_37292.jpg

The old klipsch r 41/51 m i have heard they need a little space for the integration of the highs and woofer to be at it's best.

Both the small entry level and the bigger klipsch 600m asr meassured to have a huge dip in the midrange

One meter away from the speakers. I just don’t understand OP obsession about having the volume as loud as 95 dB in near field setup!

My speakers are rated at 95 db and the new MK II are rated at I03 db

The speakers might reach it's limit do to bass long before the highs and mids play as loud as they can, when at the same time some songs sound very soft,comfortable, no agressivness,distortion you don't feel the sound being as loud as when there is just a tiny bit of distortion

moreno j played loud the woofer easily reach a level where it moves alot without being more than loud, something different like a live recording with metallica (youtube) do to less bass and more highs in your face, can to me sound alot louder

I never said i listen to music at max volume nearfield

In fact my system never comes close to playing as loud as a live outdoor concert or floorstand speakers with a big amplifier that some people think is just loud enough.

When i had the LX 3 mk II i did use a class d amp, last night (live stream) sean from zero fidelity said he always (like many don't do) often noticed the upper midrange,lower tweeter from class d amps which sounds more differenet than an a/b amp.

The amp (ld system xs200) to me sounded with the speakers slightly agressive,metallic in the upper midrange,lower tweeter (not the case with my current setup), i even noticed that somehow the bass sounded restrained in the lower octaves like it was limited, didn't sound as deep and punchy as an amp could, despite being able to play loud enough the lowest octaves was missing more impact,punchiness

The new lx 2 do go lower in hz and they are rated higher in max spl, why this difference of 8 db i don't know, to having used a class a amp with less power than i have now,with mabye a little agressiveness,metallic sound in the upper midrange,lower tweeter, im reconsidering the The LX 2 MK II do to it's reasonable price, lower hz 55 vs 60hz (don't know how the difference in the frequency responce is), higher sensitivity (although only 0.5 db), lower impedance = more wattage (3.8 vs 4.4 ohm).

Have you even tried Klipsh speakers in your listing room? Klipsh R-1M.

As example you owned QA before. Did it occur to you to perhaps get pre/power amplifier to get more fun from them.

Didn’t you own the Rotel A11 before?
It was only the QA 3010i, the bass was very good, a little soft in the upper midrange,lower tweeter and do to having only a 4" woofer it's even more limited in spl than my LX 2's, its a much better speaker than the QA 3020

I don't have a rotel a11 (tribute), something about it i didn't like, one thing i remembered i didn't like was that using my phone (bluetooth) i wasn't able to adjust the volume with my phone, either no sound or max volume

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom