1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers with different resistance?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by majak, Feb 12, 2003.

1. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

A general question, bought my center and fronts from KEF. Still tring to find rears that will appeal my budget and girl friend, not easy...
    Anyway I started thinking:

Does the resistance of the speaker affect the volume/decibel produced, thus making it harder to match speakers with different resistance.

If the above is not true, are there anything one can read from the specification that could give hints if they will match, e.g. sensitivity.

I'm a newbie in this area, but I obviously know that I have to listen to the system set up right. But I'd just like to rule out speakers that won't match my fronts... Guees you all know what i mean :)

Cheers!

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The higher the sensitivity of a speaker, the easier it is to drive. With powerfull amplification this is not really an issue.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, resistance is the load on the amp- a 4Ohm speaker requires a amp of higher current ability, than a speaker with 8 Ohm impedance.

The only thing that can effect different volume level per speaker is sensitivity- this can be adjusted on your processor and with a SPL meter.

I have a 4Ohm 90dB centre, with 6Ohm 91dB fronts, however the processor setting is the same for front three.

Nathan

4. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

I read this as it's better to match the speakers on sensitivity rather than impedance. Must continue the search for the perfect match now... :)

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Finding the perfect match would be an endless quest and rather difficult unless you use identical speakers all around.
    Usually this is not possible due to space or financial restrictions.

You can compensate for different impedance or sensitivity by balancing the levels using the AV amp's/receiver's channel level settings.
    There is IMHO no need to have speakers with exactly identical values all around.
    The only difference is the load those speakers represent but most amps should be able to handle that unless you are talking speakers with and impedance closer to 0 Ohm (those do exist) or a very low sensitivity.