Speakers with built-in sub question

Yammy lover

Hi there.. its been a while since a last visited this site!
Whenever i see these floor standing speakers, some of them have a built-in subwoofer at the bottom. My question is: How are they connected or wired up? I'm wondering if i can connect subwoofers with the speakers, if thats possible... I got two 10" subs which originally came from a Sony 7.2 receiver (these subs do not have built in amplifiers) I would love to connect them up to my Yamaha 6.1 receiver..
Thanks for reading! :thumbsup:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
A Passive sub can not be used with an AV reciever. The speakers with the bigger speaker at the bass are designed to be wired up with it. It is not a true sub but will give lower frequency response. The impedance of the speaker will be designed to be OK with it in use. You could not add your subs to another speaker as the interaction of the 2 impedances of the speakers would most likely cause your amp problems. Also I doubt the subs you have will have a crossover in them so you would end up with a full range signal going to them which would not sound good.

Yammy lover

A Passive sub can not be used with an AV reciever. The speakers with the bigger speaker at the bass are designed to be wired up with it. It is not a true sub but will give lower frequency response. The impedance of the speaker will be designed to be OK with it in use. You could not add your subs to another speaker as the interaction of the 2 impedances of the speakers would most likely cause your amp problems. Also I doubt the subs you have will have a crossover in them so you would end up with a full range signal going to them which would not sound good.
I thought it wouldn't work because the frequencies won't be low enough for the subs to work. It will sound really muffled. Thanks for the explaining and thanks for your help :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom