1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speakers - what options do I have?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Imrahil, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was planning to upgrade my ageing denon 3802 6.1 setup to a proc /power amp combo, namely the rotel 1066 proc, a 1075 5 channel power amp and 1070 2 channel power amp.

I was looking at spending about £4K on speakers to replace my mission 7 series stuff. For which I will hold out on the sub since I reckon my mission 7as2 will suffice for a while still.

Initially I was looking at the M&K speakers, especially the S-150 THX for fronts and center, but I'm pretty much clueless for the 4 surrounds.
    But I would also go with a horizontal center speaker to fit the shelf underneath my plasma.
    I can't really use the M&K column surrounds because of the room layout, so I really have to with wallmounted surrounds

Alternatively I was considering not getting the additional 2 channel power amp and getting active front speakers.

I would love to hear some alternatives tho, especially from the ppl that own the proc / amp combo described above.

any advice would be greatly appreciated ..
    Elco

2. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    omg with 4k you have so many options.
    I am an M&K man myself with that i would get the following:
    3 X M&K 2510's, professional s-150's, across the front
    2 X M&K 250 MKII Tripole
    a further 2 X M&K 2510's, or s-150's for the rears
    i think that might take you to your 4k budget, or maybe a bit more
    but alternatively you have the B&W nautilus range which are also meant to be superb speakers.
    Also you can get the active M&K's but they are much more expensive, something like 1-2 grand per speaker i think. Probably better actives out there for less, haven't heard any actives though so i am not very clued up in that department.
    cheers
    fred

3. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aye the M&K's seem to be the favourites around this budget.
    after some more looking around I was thinking the following:
    2x s-150 thx for fronts for £1695
    s-125c for the center speaker (mainly cos it will actually fit ;) £675
    2x surround 55 tripoles for the sides £795
    2x surround 55 tripoles for the rears £795

which would put me on around my budget
    I do think I might need something to compare it to tho when I get it demoed.. I'll check out the B&W nautilus range ..

thanx : )

4. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my eventual set up will have 3 s-150's or the pro 2510's, across the front. It will complete my set up really nicely.
    Yes the S55 rears are superb speakers, especially for the money. You can get a few second hand bargains on here. They really do wrap you in sound and provide a very spaceous sound.
    maybe you should consider 2 s85's at the back to complete the 7.1 set up.

Also what sub you after?
    cheers
    fred

5. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and yes auditioning them would be the thing to do, B&W and M&K are both class speakers but have different sounds. You may prefer either so it is best for your ears to decide.
    Although i bought mine without auditioning them and have decided M&K is the sound for me
    fred

6. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what sub but for the time I'm going to stick with my mission 7as2 I think as it still packs quite a punch.
    Mind you if it doesn't work well with the new gear it will have to be replaced -just not clue what with ;)

Aren't the 2510's and s85's directional speakers? I was under the general impression diffuse (bipolar or tripolar) was the way to go, altho that's not speaking out of experience as I've only had the dipolar missions in the rear!

Elco

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Good budget and a good choice of multichannel amp....definitely consider the Nautilus range if the budget will stretch,and if not,also look at the new 700 series B&Ws,which have a lot of the design features of the Nautilus range in them.

The B&W centres tend to be a bit on the chunky side,but there's no denying the build or sound quality.

If you're willing to consider ex-dem gear,there are a few Meridian actives on the market which may fit your budget,and will give superb quality,without the need for power amps.

8. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for the suggestions!
    I will definately give both the M&K's and the B&W's a spin!

9. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would also try leaving the Mission sub out of the equation until you feel it's right to upgrade - with some of the speakers you mention it may only 'muddy' the sound rather than add extra depth

10. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the following

Monitor Audio Gold Series
    2 x Gr20 floostanders
    1 x GrCtr Centre Channel
    4 x GR SRD Surround speakers

or you could go 2 x Gold Surround a 2 x Gr10 standmounters

Would come in around £3k. Or a little under

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/gold/index.htm
    For the details

11. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bi-polars are good for sides but if you have a smallish room then direct radiating would be the best option to put at the rear as bi-polars would muddy the sound of the sides. But if you have a biggish room then yes bi-polars are the way to go
    cheers
    fred

12. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah ok I get ya... well my room is fairly large so I think I'll stick to the diffuse speakers... I liked the effect the mission dipolars gave me anyways.
    I'll also see how it goes with and without sub (altho I do really like the seat-shaking they provide)

stebbo: I shall also have a look at the monitor audio speakers.. thanx for the suggestion!

Elco

13. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the s-55's are great speakers but maybe you should look at 2 pairs of ss-150's, m and k again, which go for around 700 second hand.
    I dunno if they are really better, only heard them briefly at smurfins house, but they might be better in a larger room.
    Yeah a subwoofer is a must really if you have the M&K's, 80 hz drop off.
    I would really suggest going 5.1, instead of 7.1 for now anyway, and spending the 700-1000 on a good sub. perhaps a second hand velodyne, going in classified i think, or if you can find one a servo 15
    cheers
    fred
    p.s i am not sure about using a M&K s-125c as well-ideal to use three of the same at the front

14. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well the room aint quite that big ... I think the S55's will provide enough power... but then that is what I'll be looking at aswell when I get them demoed.

I was worried about the 3 fronts tho.. the thing is, I just can't fit an s-150 thx in the center without cutting part out of my glass furniture ;)

Chrz
    Elco

15. a3rmk

a3rmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cat among the pigeons time.
    For 4k you could get x5 Meridian M33 150w active speakers, Decent sub, Stands etc.
    They include all cabling so you would save on that AND buying an amp.
    Integration is obviously superb and look gorgeous on Partington Dreadnought stands.
    Just a thought.

16. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    good call a3rmk

17. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've already purchased the 7 channels of power ampage ;)
    But cables etc isn't a problem as when I bought the rotel gear they allowed me around £250 to spend on whatever, and I assume same again when I purchase speakers, and a dvd player (I think they allow for a little over 10% over the purchase price in goodies - which rocks)

mind you I will still look into the meridian stuff .. unfortunately the only floorstanders I can get away with is the 2 fronts, the center has to go inside the AV furniture (a shelf on a soundstyle thingy)
    and the surrounds have to go on the walls because of the layout of the room, unfortunate placement of doors n such ; )

the suggestion is ofcourse much appreciated and I shall definately look into their speaker ranges!

Elco

18. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whos they btw mate? did you get teh rotel 1075 and the 1070 then?
    cheers
    fred

19. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they is Audio T .. today I picked up my rotel 1066 proc, rotel 1070 poewr amp, 1075 power amp and Denon a11 dvd player..
    they gave me £305 pounds to spend on stuff (which went to interconnects etc)

also the price matching on the a11 was cool, they didn't even check up on it or anything (got it for £1450 - originally £1699)

I'm quite impressed with their service and they seemed to know what they where talking about.