• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speakers v Amp Ohm imbalance Pioneer VSX 2021

benpyett

Standard Member
I'm sure that this is a much covered topic, so I apologize, But....

I've just purchased a Pioneer VSX 2021 and I was concerned when connecting it to my existing main Speakers which are an old pair of DynAudio Countour 1.1 that have stood me in great stead (with my old Arcam stereo Amp) for several years.. but they have a 4 Ohm impedance which is below the minimum of the Amp of 6 Ohm (which has to be switched to this from 8 Ohm to start with and I believe increases sound distortion)

I'm aware that I need to upgrade my surround speakers as they currently come from an all in one panasonic my first amp setup so need improving.

I was contemplating either buying the DALI Zensor 5 5.1 setup or the larger DALI Zensor 7 5.1 (although the later are marked as 5 Ohm) so am leaning towards the first.

I'm not sure whether I should continue to use the DynAudio (4 Ohm) and simply purchase new rear, centre and sub of a higher quality....and risk the AMP...

Again apologies for my ignorance....

I listen to a mix of music , tv and games but mainly tv/movies in a large room.

Will the lower Ohm'd DynAudio's risk damaging my lovely new amp and effect the quality of output ?

please help......Any comments and recommendations gratefully appreciated.

I need the benefit from your experiences as have read many articles that just contradict each other online. I just wish I'd researched slightly more before I bought but its too late now.

Many Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Firstly. Leave your amp set to 8 ohm as opposed to lowering the rail voltage. You risk damaging your speakers by deploying the impedance switching on your amp!

See this article for the reasons why:
Setting the A/V Receiver Impedance Selector Switch — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Secondly. There's only a problem if you go crazy on the volume dial. Problems only occur if you start to turn the volume too high. Things to look out for are audio distortion and overheating of the amp. The amp will probably cut out before any damage is done to it due to the presence of protection circuitry.

You should be fine with your amp and 4 ohm speakers, so long as you go easy on the volume ;)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What impedance are the rear speakers? All in one systems tend to be very low do would not be adviced to be used with an avr.

benpyett

Standard Member
What impedance are the rear speakers? All in one systems tend to be very low do would not be adviced to be used with an avr.

Amazingly and very surprising to me they are 4 Ohm also....(but tiny!) I'm annoyed that I didn't bother to look at the label on them earlier....Sorry...

so I hear what your saying , so thanks.....and don't worry...

Fortunately I have yet to wire the new Pioneer 2021 up in stream with existing speakers.......after discovering my Dynaudio's 4 Ohm issue, I thought that I'd ask your guys opinions first.... as I was so confused.......now I discover situation is even worse so I can see previous suggested purchase are even more necessary....so for same budget <£1500 can anyone recommend anything else >6 Ohm's and that will do for the same money and preferably from personal recommendation....as appreciate your opinion's ...

Or would anyone with similar AMP setup tell me if they're running any similar setup without issues to make me feel more comfortable....

Thanks

Last edited:

benpyett

Standard Member
Firstly. Leave your amp set to 8 ohm as opposed to lowering the rail voltage. You risk damaging your speakers by deploying the impedance switching on your amp!

See this article for the reasons why:
Setting the A/V Receiver Impedance Selector Switch &mdash; Reviews and News from Audioholics

Secondly. There's only a problem if you go crazy on the volume dial. Problems only occur if you start to turn the volume too high. Things to look out for are audio distortion and overheating of the amp. The amp will probably cut out before any damage is done to it due to the presence of protection circuitry.

You should be fine with your amp and 4 ohm speakers, so long as you go easy on the volume ;)

Don't fear I have no intention of turning the sound to max (for a while - while its's being warmed up anyway)....as i said above I have yet to properly wire the setup up correctly, its all still sitting in boxes......but at the same time I am concerned that I might have a setup where in which I could damage myself....>??

Still don't know whether I should simply replace the front 2 speakers with the new 5 correct paired surround set up or make up a better setup and keep the older pair of 4 Ohm's?

I know which is the safer option and therefore lean towards that...but am happy to listen to wiser more experienced words....

dante01

Distinguished Member
The DynAudio Countour 1.1 were (still are) pretty good speakers in their day, so the question should be in relation to how they sound now and can you afford to replace them with better? Also, can you actually get other speakers to match them?

If I remember correctly, the speakers perform best when placed 1 to 1.5 metres from walls so they may not be the best option for rear surrounds?

Overall, I'd probably suggest you replace them. I'd also suggest you look at replacing the old all in one speakers.

Last edited:

benpyett

Standard Member
The DynAudio Countour 1.1 were (still are) pretty good speakers in their day, so the question should be in relation to how they sound now and can you afford to replace them with better? Also, can you actually get other speakers to match them?

If I remember correctly, the speakers perform best when placed 1 to 1.5 metres from walls so they may not be the best option for rear surrounds?

Overall, I'd probably suggest you replace them. I'd also suggest you look at replacing the old all in one speakers.

You're right, they were/are a quality speaker, I bought them to last about 10 years ago and they've served me extremely well although I bought them mainly to listen to music and since then my usage needs have changed.

You're right they need to stand off the wall, so won't be ideal as rear's.

I don't think that I'll be able to afford to replace them with better quality unit's, although as I now I require a more versatile 5.1 / 7.1 surround sound system that will primarily play TV that shouldn't be a massive issue. I do intend on replacing the old cheap rears, centre and sub at the same time.

As I mentioned before have budget of £1500 and currently looking at DALI 5 5.1 surround setup. (would like the DALI 7 but they are 5 Ohm) Any recommendations?

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Monitor Audio BX range would be worth a look or may even be able to stretch to the RX range.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom