1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers too big/powerful?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by staxdoobie, May 30, 2003.

1. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Relatively new to this game, and just wondered if any Eltax Evolution owners (or anyone else who might know) would be able to tell me if this rather large AV speaker package (with a 60W subwoofer built into the base of each floorstanding front speaker) would be inappropriate for my small-ish lounge (13' x 11'). I intend pairing them with a Yamaha DSPAX630 amplifier (75-watt power output).

Many thanks in advance.

2. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say that they may be a little too much for a room of that size. I have pretty much the same size room and 4 standmounts + a centre fill it easily.

Only way to find out would be to suck it and see, try to arrange to try them in your home and see how you get on.

3. Lippy

Lippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent the evenin trying to improve the output of my Evo subs, didnt have the greatest amount of joy, as my room is quite small compounded by the fact that where my speakers are placed mean they are about than 6ft away from eachother. This does sometime lead to a bit of boom (i think that would be the correct term) which I think would be solved with a little more distance between them.

My amp - a Sherwood jobbie - does not have much in the way of bass management, therefore better results could be had with your Yammy if you did find them overbearing, otherwise I think you will be happy - as I was in the same boat a few months ago being new to the game and all.

Hope this helps

Lippy

4. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Yes, having finally got the gear home and spent literally hours setting it up, I'm very happy. My fears about the speakers being too big have been allayed; they're great. Haven't had a great deal of time to fine-tune amp/speaker settings - largely because I don't know what I'm doing and have to keep reading the book - but initial impressions are more than favourable. I'm obviously going to have to tweak things a little, as at normal listening levels, when it gets loud it gets VERY loud. And I don't know what 'crossover' means either.

Oh well, back to the book...

5. Lippy

Lippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    let me know any settings that improve sound quality - I also have plenty to learn!