Speakers too big for Room?

Stinky985

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have recently moved and now live in a smaller house. I currently have AE Aegis Evo 3's, Compact's and Centre (no sub). I am in the process of reclaiming my stuff from storage and was wondering if the Evo 3s could be too big for the new living room. Well officially living/dining room. The room is 12ft x 13 ft! Will i be better off keeping the 3's or looking into some bookshelf speakers, or sub/sat thing. i have always been happy with the Evo 3's.

The best thing would be to set them up in the new room and listen for yourself.

Whilst room size is a consideration for if speakers will be suitable there are many other factors including the possitioning of the speakers (how close they are to rear/side walls), seating possition in relationship to the speakers, amount/type of other furnishings (ie soft or hard, their possitions)

You will notice that most hi-fi stores listening rooms are not massive but have been designed to make the most out of as many speakers as possible by clever use of all of the above

very true, thinking about when i auditioned them the room size was tiny! the measurements i gave are for a house yet to be built, but the room where i am renting in the meantime is about the same. to be honest a 12ftx13ft room is still a fair old space to fill with sound. I was worried about bass but with furnishings i guess it should be ok. I was trying to do away with unpacking them if the answer was 'yes they are far too big'! :blush:

They do dominate the furniture a little - although the wood matches well with cheap Ikea stuff. Soundwise I cannot complain. I guess my room is about 12ft x 15ft

HI stinky. What are your opinions ont he compacts? How do they fit to the wall? DO they come with brackets?
Im thinking of buying some to replace one set of bipolars I have.

Thanks.

Dfour, yeah i am happy with them. I havent had them set up for a while (divorce, move etc), but i would feel that they were maybe better in multi-channel music rather than films. I am wondering myself, if bipolars (like yours) would be generally better for both, as they fire in different directions, so fill more of the room?
Good speakers though! They dont come with brackets, they are £20 for a set, but i think you can use generic ones, but dont quote me on that! You whack the brackets into the wall, then i think attached the speakers to the brackets. The brackets tilt and turn so you can fire them downwards towards you. I wasnt allowed them on the wall so had them on stands. But i can do what i like now!

I feel bipolars are better with films than multichannel music. Im going to replace the rear surrounds with monopoles as i feel the rears are to diffussed with bipoles for films.

B&W make a new setof bipoles that you can switch one set of speakers off to make monopoles fro music and switch them back on again for films :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom