1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers to replace my Dynaudio 122s...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chrisgeary, Aug 26, 2004.

1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Ok, I had a dem of various speakers last week:

(listed in order of preference)
    B&W 705
    (B&W 805)
    Monitor Audio GR10
    Dynaudio 52SE
    Totem (cant remember - floorstanders)

I have had the B&W 705s and HTM7 on dem for the last few days. Very very different sound to my audience 122s. Really like them for the most part, certainly much less bright than my Dyns - more the kind of sound I'm looking for. But there seemed something missing in the upper midrange - less so with music, but more obviously with movies, across all three speakers. Couldn't quite put my finger on itt and perhaps it doesn't matter hugely but I want to be sure they are the right ones before I part with my cash.

So I put the B&W 805s in brackets as they had a pair ex-dem to move on, but realistically I don't think I'll buy them as they are not in the right colour and I can't afford them plus stands even at ex-dem prices. So the plan is to re-listen to the MA GR10s which if I remember gave the 705s a run for their money. The Dyn 52SEs were better than my 122s but surely I'll be stuck with my 122 centre or 40C both of which dont sound nice to my ears so I've pretty much ruled them out. And the totems were brash and gritty and horrible.

Questions:

Do the MA GR10s have a complimentary centre speaker?
    What other speakers, based on what I have said, might be worth a listen?

I have a decent sub, so floorstanders are not necessary.

cheers

Chris

2. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Chris,

You might also want to give PMC's a listen, either the OB1, FB1 or GB1.

Cheers,
    Steve

3. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi chris

maybe you should listen to sonus faber once in a while...

greetings
    christoph

4. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also thinking about MA GR10s at the moment.

They do a matching centre and bipolar surrounds.
    But you might also consider mixing with the smaller MA Radius speakers.
    I need to save some space - so sattelite surrounds is an attractive option.

I demoed the GR10s with Radius R180s for centre and surrounds. Very nice.
    The centre worked well with the GR10s. Could maybe upgrade to GR centre later (£500).

Also, if you don't particularly want wooden cabinets, you can get the GR10s in gloss black or silver finishes. These match the Radius range exactly. The cabinet edges on the black/silver GR10s have been rounded off to coordinate with Radius design.

Obviously, MA are thinking that GR10 match the Radius range well. Both sonically and cosmetically.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    PMC definitely! Matching centre as well.

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Just a thought but have you considered building your own? Not everyone's cup of tea but can be very satisfying and the results are very good.

As an example I built some from a kit by www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk recently, the kit cost £400 delivered and included everything (even the glue). The MDF panels were all pre-cut and shaped, the crossovers made up. All I had to do was solder the circuit boards to the drivers/binding posts and stick everything together. If you don't fancy sodlering they will do a pre soldered version which just plugs together. Now I don't really have any experience of woodworking (beyond the key rack I made in school ;) ), and my electronics knowledge is only a little better, but I didn't find any headaches with this project, it's all very straightforward. I don't even have a garage or a shed so I genuinely think this is something that ANYone could have a go at.

Any way, I've got to say that I am well-pleased with the results. To get an idea of the quality of them I borrowed a pair of £400 Dynaudio 42s, now I'd not heard these speakers before but I've got to say I was impressed with the scale of sound you get from such small speakers, they really are very impressive. By way of a comparison the speakers I built have just as much detail as the dyns, more in fact, but where they really excel is in the midrange - they just seem so much more involving and lifelike with voices, the sound is bigger and fuller, the bass is not a whole lot better than the dyns (which, considering these DIY ones are floor standers says a lot for the 42s) but overall they are definitely preferable to my ears. They have perhaps a slightly edgier sound than the Dyns but, hand in hand with this, more detail.

Might be worth a look as you can get some good value speakers and a great sense of satisfaction.

Owain

EDIT: Should add I suppose that they ado all sorts of kits, upto ones costing a few thousand so should have something which can compete with the kinds of thing you've been looking at.

7. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,173
    Very surprised if that's the case...surely the GR series and Radius are in a different league altogether? I'd definately buy the GR centre at the same time as the L/R pair... (theoretically that is, as I've never heard the speakers in question)

8. spike99

spike99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

I am also quite shocked, I have heard the Radius and they are nice, but they will not match the GR Centre, its awseome, like the rest of the range, thats why I bought them.

What was being used to power this when the comparison was made?

9. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    You might want to try Spendors. I recently tried a number of centre channel speakers to replace my Ruark, and the Spendor came out on top. Great vocal quality and no boxiness at all, just an open sound. It is a bit bass light in comparison to the Proac, but with a decent subwoofer that really isn't a problem. Whilst I am sticking with my Living Voice Auditoriums (love them!), I would think that others from the Spendor range would be pretty good all round.
    Try them. I did, on advice, and wasn't expecting much, but was most pleasantly surprised.

Peter