• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speakers to Pair with Onkyo 607

pankaj1980

Standard Member
Guys,

I am looking to get a really good 5.1 speaker system to go with my Onkyo 607 and LG37SL8000

Any suggestions? My budget is £250 max...

Also, whats the deal with speaker cables. I dont much about this stuff but reading this forum it seems cables can make or break the whole experience. Is this true?

Many Thanks!!!

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
I would go with these for your budget (also available in black)

AV Bristol Limited - avbristol.co.uk

There is a thread abouth them here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1152357-wharfedale-moviestar-65-5-1-system.html

An alternative would be these:

Tannoy SFX5.1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

There is a slight crossover issue setting issue between the onkyo amp and the tannoy speakers, but this in reality will be of little consequence.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...a-tannoy-sfx5-1-onkyo-577-a.html#post11194213

Both the wahrefdale and the tannoys will be a good tonal match for the onkyo amp.

You will get some speaker wire with the tannoys, but you will need to get a subwoofer cable. Not sure if you get any cable with the Wharefdales, but speakercable at about £1.20 to £1.50 a metre will be fine.

This is a good place for cable

Speaker Cable - Audiovisual Online - High Quality Audio Video Cables and Accessories

muckybucket

Established Member

pankaj1980

Standard Member
Guys, I now have all I need, LG378000, Onkyo 607 and wharfedale 65+

Whats the best to connect my appliances?

I need to connect my Sky+, Xbox360, DVD player (doesnt have HDMI output) and my external hard drive (which has movies on it) to the Amp/TV

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Guys, I now have all I need, LG378000, Onkyo 607 and wharfedale 65+

Whats the best to connect my appliances?

I need to connect my Sky+, Xbox360, DVD player (doesnt have HDMI output) and my external hard drive (which has movies on it) to the Amp/TV

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

What outputs do your DVD player external drive have for both audio and video?

Connect your Sky+ to the TV with a scart lead and ensure RGB is enabled in the Sky box and the TV scart is RGB enabled. This will give you the best possible picture quality. Then run an optical lead from the sky box to the amp for audio.

If the Xbox has HDMI, then HDMI is the way to go.

For the others, when we know what the options are, we can advise.

pankaj1980

Standard Member
Thanks for that... being an absolute ignoramous, pardon my question here..

What do u mean when u say that the TV SCART should be RGB enabled? (for Sky+)

Also, my DVD player has coaxial, phono and scart output (no HDMI)

XBOX has HDMI so that shd be fine.

Still trying to play around with the 607 settings... but making progress!

the Wharfedale 65+ sound amazing!!! :)

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that... being an absolute ignoramous, pardon my question here..

What do u mean when u say that the TV SCART should be RGB enabled? (for Sky+)

Also, my DVD player has coaxial, phono and scart output (no HDMI)

XBOX has HDMI so that shd be fine.

Still trying to play around with the 607 settings... but making progress!

the Wharfedale 65+ sound amazing!!! :)

There are three kinds of signal you can pass through scart connections and in quality, low to high order, they are composite, S-Video and RGB. Your sky box and your DVD player should have menu options where you can select RGB to be output, so select that in both sky and the DVD player and connect them both by scart to the TV.

For the sky box, connect an optical cable to the amp and for the DVD player, connect a coaxial cable to the amp. In both cases you will now have video going to the TV via scart and your amp will deliver the sound. You may still get some audio via the scart to the TV, so mute the TV when listening via the amp.

With regards to the Tv scarts, on some TVs, all the scarts are capable of taking an RGB input. On some, only certain scarts can --- you will need to check your manual for the TV. On the TV scarts that can take RGB, sometimes it is automatic and sometimes, you have to go into the TV's menu and set the scart to RGB.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Thanks Dicklodge, much appreciated.

I am trying to connect my Subwoofer from the 607 to the wharfedale subwoofer using the pre sub output on the AV recvr.

I was told that I would need a phono cable for this.

Will this be the right one?

Play.com (UK) : 3.5mm Jack To 2 x RCA Phono Audio Cable Gold 5m Lead : Electronics - Free Delivery#

That's the wrong lead. This is what you want.

That is a good quality lead and they are a good supplier that i've used a lot.

Fisual Subwoofer Cable Pro Install Series - Subwoofer Cables - Audiovisual Online - High Quality Audio Video Cables and Accessories

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Is this one phono to two phono?

Assuming there is just one sub out on your amp, you just need one of the leads that I posted from Audiovisual.

Some subs have 2 inputs but you only need to use one of them.

pankaj1980

Standard Member
OK I think I understand.

My AV has 2 Pre Subwoofer outputs (L and R)

My Subwoofer has 4 line level inputs (2 L and 2 R)

So I presume just use the cable u mentioned from one L in the AV to the L in Subwoofer.

Sorry for making this more difficult than what is possibly is. but want to get this right... :)

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
OK I think I understand.

My AV has 2 Pre Subwoofer outputs (L and R)

My Subwoofer has 4 line level inputs (2 L and 2 R)

So I presume just use the cable u mentioned from one L in the AV to the L in Subwoofer.

Sorry for making this more difficult than what is possibly is. but want to get this right... :)

No problem, you're right to check.

I think you only need one, but it may be advisable to ask in the Onkyo forums to be on the safe side. My amps only have one sub out so there's no option for 2 leads.

pankaj1980

Standard Member
Dicklodge, your advise turned out to be perfect. Walked over to Richer Sounds and asked them about the best connection and they said exactly what you did. And they advised I buy a £30 cable for it... Which I politely declined... :)

Thanks a ton!

Cheers!

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Thanks a ton!

Cheers!

You're welcome; glad I managed to get something right at last! :D I always prefer people to check these sorts of things if I'm not 100% though, just to be on the safe side.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom