Speakers to pair with CA AXA35

djhetzel

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Apologies if this is a tiresome post but the vastness of this forum is daunting. I've looked at some previous threads but thought I'd put my situation on here just in case it yields different answers.

I'm a complete novice and have acquired a Cambridge Audio AXA35, and now have about £300 to spend on speakers. What speakers should I look at getting? New is cool, but I'd also appreciate a bit of advice on potential second hand models to keep an eye out for on Ebay, if the value of speakers depreciates in any way at all and bargains can be had.

Current speakers I've identified as suitable (I think) are:
  • Dali Spektor 2
  • Wharfdale Diamond 220
  • KEF q100
  • Qacoustics 3020

I will be playing music from laptop/phone through AUX or Bluetooth so am aware there are a few little additions I will need to also get. I suspect these will be my set-up for 3-5 years before an inevitable upgrade if that adds anything.

Cheers for any and all input.

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a tiresome post but the vastness of this forum is daunting. I've looked at some previous threads but thought I'd put my situation on here just in case it yields different answers.

I'm a complete novice and have acquired a Cambridge Audio AXA35, and now have about £300 to spend on speakers. What speakers should I look at getting? New is cool, but I'd also appreciate a bit of advice on potential second hand models to keep an eye out for on Ebay, if the value of speakers depreciates in any way at all and bargains can be had.

Current speakers I've identified as suitable (I think) are:
  • Dali Spektor 2
  • Wharfdale Diamond 220
  • KEF q100
  • Qacoustics 3020

I will be playing music from laptop/phone through AUX or Bluetooth so am aware there are a few little additions I will need to also get. I suspect these will be my set-up for 3-5 years before an inevitable upgrade if that adds anything.

Cheers for any and all input.
The 220's are a good budget speaker for sure and out of the 4 you listed.. are probably the better option for the cambridge.

Remember the AXA35 is ONLY .. 35watts per channel.. so you will want fairly sensitive speakers.

If you can get down to a richersounds.. have a listen to the 220 vs the Mordaunt Short M20 for the budget side (£99-130)

For the higher end (re the Spektor price tag £230)

Wharfedale 12.1 and Cambridge Audio's own SX60 speaker which was made to go with their own amps and compare against the 220

You should be able to tell pretty quickly which are the speakers for you.

Word of warning on the SX60 .. despite being front ported.. it needs to be treated as a rear port and pulled well clear of a rear wall or that bass will overtake the sound!

Failing that .. if you have space.. then possibly a used set of Monitor Audio Bronze 1 or 2's should go fine

I’d go straight for a pair of these.

Both with a hundred quid off and even more of a good buy.

Have a scan of this review here... should help.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
As you are going to use a laptop, I'd suggest in getting a USB DAC, iFi Audio have some good units as a starting point which will enable you to bring a better sound to your system than using the 3.5mm connection. What happens when you use an external USB DAC is that becomes the computers soundcard, plus it should output the right level to match with your hifi without you having to worry about anything. (do check iFi Audio's download hub for software and firmware updates)

Programs like jRiver along with jRemote also enable you to gain control of your music files on the laptop whilst sat in your armchair.

If you are archiving your music, then jRiver can also do this to. Just try a few file formats (WAV, FLAC, Lossy, MP3, AIFF) before archiving all your favorite CD's :)

The Mission LX mark 1 would be suitable for budget amps and I expect the mark 2 to be suitable as well.

What do I look for when matching an amplifier with the speakers?
1) I'd check the speakers' impedance first and make sure that an amplifier supports it.
2) As @Orobas stated it is vital to find the suitable power rating match. Make sure that the values you are looking at are both either RMS/average or both are peak/music power figures. Paradoxically, you may damage your system more if you choose an underpowered amplifier than an overpowered one.
3) Room size is another important factor to take into account. There is no need to go for the very powerful speakers if the room is small.

Unless, there is no other option, I would recommend thinking about adding another connection alongside BT and AUX. Bluetooth is very convenient, but you will not be able to get the same results as through a wired connection. I am a huge supporter of BT, but not as your only connection.

I would also pay more attention to your external DAC/source as they will influence the sound quality more than the speakers or an amplifier.

Last edited:
I have the Dali Spektor 2 and they are perfectly nice on a low-power amp.

I also had a pair of QA 3020s and they are also nice.

See if you can audition them with a few of your favourite tunes. They are all perfectly respectable choices, but if you go to Richersounds they can probably put them all on for you with your amp.

I think he’s gone.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom