1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers to match Sony STR-DB790

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rupbert, Dec 17, 2003.

1. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Have a Sony 28FX widescreen, Sony NS305 DVD, and currently they pass through an old, but to my ears decent Sony Hi-fi system...

Have recently become a DVD addict, and I am interested in adding some high quality 2.1 OR 5.1 speakers.

After reading the highly praise worthy review of the STRDB790 in the latest Home Cinema Choice, and loving its looks I have decided this is the budget receiver for me :)

Now I need some excellent speakers to go with the system. My room is not ideal for a 5.1 setup, its large but has some awkward angles. So I think 2.1 is the way to go...

My budget is around £200 for the speakers, not including cables. I guess Mission, Kef and Tannoy are a good place to start.

I want ones that are good for DVD, but equally as important, is music playback. Advice is most welcome...

Cheers, Steve

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    We, Sevenaoks in Edinburgh, are currently selling the Tannoy FX 5.1 package for £250 which would make a good starting point for a Home Cinema setup.

3. stevej

stevej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought this amp a couple of weeks ago. I'm running it with Kef's accross the front, cheapo Gale's across the back and a Vibe subwoofer. I'd try to pick up a sub/sat package then try to get an additional speaker for the centre rear. Or, if you're not in a rush look around for second hand speakers, I've picked up some bargains over the last couple of months.

4. kiddi

kiddi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try to pick some "dark" sounding speakers, they will balace nicely with the "bright" sound of the sony.
    I have the str-db790 and it sounds great with my B&W 602's...;)

5. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the replies guys...

I remember a while back being interested in the 602's, but it was only on a window shopping level...

Tried looking for a dealer in the UK (Website) and could not find any that stocked even the B&W range!

Any ideaS?

Ta

6. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was considering buying a sony STRDB790 and a tannoy speaker package with MX3's for the front MX1's at the rear and a MXC in the centre do you think they match the sony reciever and are they good value at £240. would they be ok for cinema use without a sub because the mx3's are rated at 35hz?
    any thoughts would be appreciated

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Mooving to speakers.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Seem to be excellent value at £240 and whilst you don't need to have a subwoofer the addition of a decent sub would be the icing on the cake.

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mya advice would be to avoid Mission speakers with this amp. Missions have a natural bright sound...with a lot of treble. I tried this amp with my Mission 77 series and they didn't compliment each other in the slightest. However, I'm kind of attached to my speakers so the amp went back for a refund. I now have a THX amp, which, with THX engaged all the time, tames the treble of the bright Missions with it's timbre matching...

10. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for that mate, would the Tannoy MX3's be better suited then? They seem to get quite some acclaim :)