Speakers to match Onkyo TX-NR905

Georgie Burgess

Standard Member
The more time I spend on these forums and doing research, the more indecisive I become. :rolleyes: Having finally decided that the Onkyo TX-NR905 is the amp for me over the Denon AVR-4308, I'm looking to match it with a set of speakers.

Speaker brands I have in mind are:

Monitor Audio Gold Series (might be too bright sounding?)
PMC (heard they are excellent brand but not sure which models are good)
Quad (again, heard they are good but not sure which models)

Will be mainly used for movies but I am a big music fan so I would like music to sound as good as it can on them.

Also, would it be best to buy a set of speakers from one of the brands above and buy a seperate sub i.e. SVS or BK Monolith or buy a complete 5.1 set from the one brand?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
It doesn't matter about having the same brand sub, you just need a good one.

VFM-wise, SVS and BK come into that category, no worries.

As for the speakers, listen to them all, if you can

MIB

PMC are excellent speakers and certainly worth a demo - The DB1+ certainly fill a small to medium room and have tons of bass for a small speaker. M&K have great detail for movies but nowhere near the quality of the PMC's for music.

As Badger says mixing sub brands is not a problem - and enjoy demoing:)

petetherock

Are you aiming for a musical system first or HT?
Quads are fine musical speakers, but I am not sure about their HT abilities.
The Spendor S 6e is an awesome speaker too in the same range as the MA GS series and will be more neutral sounding.
Also consider a system built around the Totem Rainmakers
Cheers

Georgie Burgess

Standard Member
Are you aiming for a musical system first or HT?
Quads are fine musical speakers, but I am not sure about their HT abilities.
The Spendor S 6e is an awesome speaker too in the same range as the MA GS series and will be more neutral sounding.
Also consider a system built around the Totem Rainmakers
Cheers
Totem Rainmakers??? I've enough speakers in the mixer bowl already without throwing a new brand in! Will check out the Spendor. System will be used mainly for HT. I live in Dublin so I will not be able to demo ANY of the quality brands listed on this site as they are simply not sold in Ireland and there is no where to demo any of the above brands. I'll be buying blind - well not blind, but I'll be relying almost 100% on avforums users opinions. Cheers for advice so far. :thumbsup:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
HT?

SVS 5.0 then.
If you want VFM, no contest, IMO :thumbsup:

petetherock

Hi
If your aim is HT mainly, then Monitor Audio does well, you jsut have to make sure the Onkyo isn't too treble happy as the MAs are just on the bright side of neutral

Even the RS series, plus a SVS PB 12+ or +2 is a very capable system and you get change from buying the entire setup compared to a GS based one

I would also consider the JM Lab 800v series for an exciting ride.

Spendors, Quads and Totems do better in music. A fairly decent all-rounder would be the Dynaudio Audience or Focus series.
SOrry to throw more brands in, but I do urge you to audition them and avoid totally blind buying.

Since you have decided on the amp, just ring up the shop and ask them if they can audition both, or worse, bring your amp along, as I did when I did my own auditions.

Narrow it down to about 2-3 choices and go from there

Totem Rainmakers??? I've enough speakers in the mixer bowl already without throwing a new brand in! Will check out the Spendor. System will be used mainly for HT. I live in Dublin so I will not be able to demo ANY of the quality brands listed on this site as they are simply not sold in Ireland and there is no where to demo any of the above brands. I'll be buying blind - well not blind, but I'll be relying almost 100% on avforums users opinions. Cheers for advice so far. :thumbsup:

Georgie Burgess

Standard Member
How about the following setup:

Onkyo TX-NR905
SVS PB12-Plus/2 sub
PMC GB1+ fronts
PMC TB2M-C+ centre
PMC DB1+ rears

Will mainly be used for HT but with the addition of a decent rotel stereo amp, I could get the best of both worlds?

Georgie Burgess

Standard Member
Any idea where to source the PMC speakers? I'm in Dublin and AFAIK, PMC can't be bought online, only in-store? I see av-sales sell the svs and should be no problems sourcing the Onkyo.

Jimholt

Why not demo those advertised at the top of this page. I am seriously thinking about these for my stereo since i demo'd them. They have a lovely smooth top end (no lispiness) with a mid band that makes vocals and instruments sound very real. Combine these with a woofer and i think you would be onto a winner. I think these speakers are high end sounding for a budget price. They may be a bit big for your cinema setup but wait till you hear them. Jim.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Why not demo those advertised at the top of this page. I am seriously thinking about these for my stereo since i demo'd them. They have a lovely smooth top end (no lispiness) with a mid band that makes vocals and instruments sound very real. Combine these with a woofer and i think you would be onto a winner. I think these speakers are high end sounding for a budget price. They may be a bit big for your cinema setup but wait till you hear them. Jim.

Which ones mate?
The ads change constantly.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
No crossover and no tweeter :confused:

Either brilliant or crap.

I suspect the latter, but in fairness, I've not heard them.

Jimholt

No suspect the former. I wasnt sure about fullrangers myself as i thought they would be in your face and bright but these are sublime. A friend told me about them as he knew i was looking for new speakers. He had heard them at the Heathrow Show and thought them to be one of the best in show for sound. The speakers were on the end of a cheap dvd player, not sure what the amp was but still a budget one. Jim.

MIB

Any idea where to source the PMC speakers? I'm in Dublin and AFAIK, PMC can't be bought online, only in-store? I see av-sales sell the svs and should be no problems sourcing the Onkyo.

PM Crustyloafer - he deals with PMC and may be able to help.

Good looking setup by the way:) I personally prefer M&K for movies and use the DB1+ for music. The PMC's do a very good job with movies for "hifi" speakers but the detail/clarity of the M&K's are something special IMO

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
@Jimholt

I'll look out for them :smashin:

But given the 5" driver (at a guess, looking at the size of the box) I doubt they'll cut the mustard, seeing as there's no tweeter.
And as for 44hz, well, enough said, how much boom do you want? :)

On a par with Mordaunt Short 902, which probably sound better, at £150ish a pair.

A total guess though.

Question is, how much are they?

Jimholt

£500 the pair. I have listened to speakers upwards to £1600 and the Aurousals bettered them. Give em a demo you've nothing to lose. Jim

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom