speakers to loud after using spl meter

Sleepy

Hi, After setting up my Quad l-ite speakers yesterday with a radioshack spl meter so they all read 75. I find it far to loud and the bass is too much. The obvious thing would be to turn the volume down but wouldn't that defeat the object of setting them up properly to 75?

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
If you have calibrated your system to 75dB using an SPL meter, this simply means that the settings which achieve that result, result in Dolby reference level playback, or to put it another way, the volume used in commercial cinemas.

As you have spotted, this is bloody loud and certainly beyond the capabilities of the Quads and Onkyo, so I'd advise against continuing to play at these levels.

As regards the sub being too loud, the RS SPL meters sensitivity falls away with descending frequency, so it typically under reads by about 4 to 5dB when using pink noise to set a subwoofers levels.

All that really matters is that you use the SPL meter to match the levls of the channels, play your system at a level that is comfortable for you (and it) and simply adjust the subwoofers relative volume to suit your taste.

Russell

Sleepy

If you have calibrated your system to 75dB using an SPL meter, this simply means that the settings which achieve that result, result in Dolby reference level playback, or to put it another way, the volume used in commercial cinemas.

As you have spotted, this is bloody loud and certainly beyond the capabilities of the Quads and Onkyo, so I'd advise against continuing to play at these levels.

As regards the sub being too loud, the RS SPL meters sensitivity falls away with descending frequency, so it typically under reads by about 4 to 5dB when using pink noise to set a subwoofers levels.

All that really matters is that you use the SPL meter to match the levls of the channels, play your system at a level that is comfortable for you (and it) and simply adjust the subwoofers relative volume to suit your taste.

Russell
Thanks for the help

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom