1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers to go with Rotel 1055/1075 setup?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by christer_r, Feb 19, 2003.

1. christer_r

christer_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I am looking for some speakers to go with a setup consisting of RSX 1055 and RMB 1075. I'll probably use it for 60% music and 40% movies.

I am slightly biased towards floorstanding front speakers and I think I'll try to get a Velodyne sub from Uncle Eric's powerbuy.

As far as B&W CDM series go, I understand that the 1NTs are good(?) the 7NTs not so good(?), and I don't know much about the 9NTs at all. I am by no means hooked on B&W - so any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also, any suggestions regarding interconnects and speaker cables received with thanks.

Regards,
    Christer

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Interesting you should meantion the B&W CDM NT series ... was reading last night american "Home Cineme" magazine (can't remember exact title - sister to Stereophile) and they raved about the B&W CDM NT series - CDM 9NT fronts, CDM CNT centre, CDM SNT (wall mount version of 1NT) rear and CDM sub - for both multichannel music and movies.

If you're looking at getting a good sub, might be worth auditioning CDM 1NT all round and possibly (not sure of your budget) even looking at Nautilus 805 all round too.

Other alternatives ... look at the usual suspects ... Monitor Audio Silver series, KEF XQ series, Mission 78 series, maybe Wharfedale Evolution or M&K if you're prepared to look at a sub/sat system - I've seen good reviews of all these in the past 3-6 months.

Out of interest ... using the RSX1055 with the RMB1075 ... are you planning to use any of the internal amps of the RSX1055, or just use the RMC1075 for everything??

Victoria

3. christer_r

christer_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Victoria,

Thanks again for pointing out the 976/1066 issue on eBay.

I'll try to arrange for a demo of the CDMs and possibly the 805s this afternoon or tomorrow.

As for using the amps of the 1055 - I guess I'd have no problem doing so if i go for a 6.1 or 7.1 setup - also if doubling up on the front speakers with the 1075 would yield an audible difference for music, then I'd use the 1055 for the rest...I don't really know how much better (if any) this would be?

Also, would I miss anything by going to standmounts instead of floorstanders in the front regarding music (maybe a stupid question - but as i don't know...)?

Cheers,
    Christer

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If using a subwoofer your speakers don't need to go below say 80Hz anyway so floorstanders have no adavantage over standmounts. I currently use 2 huge floorstanders and they were great before I started using a sub but now that they no longer need to pump out deep bass they are pretty much wasted IMO so I'm going for standmounted speakers. Don't get me wrong, my floorstanders have great treble and midbass but they weren't cheap due to their flat response down to 40Hz and as they only need to blend in at about 80Hz now I feel it's a waste.

Phil

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Well ... and this is my opinion and I know others will disagree with me as much as some people will agree with me ... i would rather have a pair of full range (floorstand or good stand mount) speakers for the front, then when listening to stereo music not use the sub.

Now I will readily admit that I've never heard a good sub ... but from what I have heard my preferance would be floorstanders (large stand mount) for stereo and just use the sub for AV. Actually ... if I had space / money ... i'd look at having floor stands all round ... but I've never really likes sub woofers for music ...

Also worth bearing in mind if you intend to use the multichannel input of the 1055 is that the Rotel's have an issue over bass management - from my understanding ... the basic issue is that when using the multi-channel input (i.e. for DVD-A) the processor will take the bass (below 80Hz or whatever you set crossover to) and push that out to the sub, the problem is that it still lets the <80Hz stuff go out to the main speakers as well. This is an issue with the whole of the Rotel AV range at the moment - RSP1066, RSX1055 and RSX1065 - but will hopefully be fixed with software updates later. The latest software revision lets you set sub levels differently (or off) for different inputs too as a workaround.

Victoria

6. christer_r

christer_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Apocalypse.

That's good to hear about the standmounts.

Now I've just come off the phone with:

Sevenoaks
    T-Audio
    Hi-Fi Experience
    Robert Taussig

And none of them carry the Rotels and only the two latter carry the 805s. It seems it will be difficult to find a dealer in London that actually carries the setup so I can listen to which speakers I like best... any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Christer

7. christer_r

christer_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Victoria.

Sorry. Didn't see your post there before afterwards.

As for the floorstand/mountstand issue I believe I'll just have to try to find some dealer where I can listen to both. But that might prove harder than I initially thought though... Well, waiting for Oranges & Lemons to call me back.

I'll do some reading up on the DB issue on Club Rotel. Thanks.

Christer

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Not sure if it helps ... but if you can get upto Leicester I can recomend Leicester HiFi. They have usually got in both the RSP1066 and have the full range of B&W speakers (should have 805 along with 7NT and 9NT) ... whether they will have 5 805s to test together I'm not sure.

They also do a global 10% off RRP so prices tend to be competitive.

Victoria

9. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi accoustick arts in watford have all b&Wrange speakers cdm1nts etc and above and are rotel dealers, not sure what rotel av related gear they have in -store though.

10. christer_r

christer_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just back from an unsuccessful trip to Oranges & Lemons. Seems that the reason they weren't answering the phone was because they are closed on Wednesdays... :blush:

Well managed to waste some time and money on cabs to get there and back, but now I know better.

Will try to arrange something tomorrow... at least they should be open then.

Also, I spoke to a representative from Rotel earlier today. His take seemed to be that regarding the B&W speakers, he only recommended to drive speakers up to the CDM series with a 1075 amp. He suggested that if I was interested in the 805s or better I should use a more powerful amp..:confused: Do you people agree?

Cheers,
    Christer

11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it curious that 7Oaks don't sell the Rotel range as it's where I bought my Rotel power amp a few months ago :rolleyes:

Victoria - I can't imagine ever not using a sub for either stereo or movies, I reckon you'd change your mind if you heard a good sub.

Phil

12. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's ludicrous, 5 x 120watts and THX Ultra isn't good enough :eek:

The 1075 can be used to bi-amp as well for stereo and that's equivalent to 240 watts x 2. My guess is the guy was suggesting that if you have the dosh to get B&W 805s you might as well get a better power amp.

Phil

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    My guess is that it would work ... but the Rotel guy's point of view is that you wouldn't be getting the best out of them (805s) ...

14. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audio T in Camberley carry the Rotel range, however the manager there is an arrogant arse so abuse their demo facilities and buy from somewhere else.. :devil:

15. christer_r

christer_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your suggestions. I've scheduled to listen to the CDM series with Rotel at a dealer this afternoon.

Now for sub - should I go for the CHT 10 or 15? What would be the better match? I presume you all are going to say the 15 :D

Cheers.
    C

16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not for the larger size so much, the CHT-15 is Servo powered which IMO is a must for high end subs.

17. christer_r

christer_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Apocalypse: As for 7oaks and not having the Rotels - they did carry Rotel, but the shops I called did not have the 10 series in house at the moment.

Spent a few hours this afternoon listening to the CDM series speakers. A very enjoyable expereince. The speakers were hooked up to a RSX 1065. To my surprise I found that I could turn the receiver up to max volume without it making my ears bleed (are these speakers particularly hard-driven?).

Most of the listening experience revolved around the 9NT as fronts with the CDM centre and 1NT as rears. I must say the 9NT did a good job - also with music. But when I heard the 1NT as front speakers I must say I was also impressed in comparison and questioned whether the 9NT really are worth £1050 (£805 when you take the cost of the stands into consideration) more as a pair... I think the CDM 1NTs sounded great when matched with a sub... hmm. I could hear a difference btw the two, but not a difference that put the 1NT down.

Well, now I only have to figure out which speakers to go for as fronts, the 9NTs or 1NTs :D

The dealer offered me 6% discount on list price - I'm not quite happy with that. :devil: Should I expect them to offer 10% as was mentioned earlier e.g. Leicester HiFi do?

I've ordered the CHT-15 from Uncle Eric. Should get it by middle of next week.

18. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For £700 upwards you can equip yourself with the Paradigm Studio range of speakers for the front soundstage, voted No 1 speaker package by an esteemed US mag. The downside is you have to get them through Richer Sounds, I've personally been waiting for 7 months now (that's no joke btw).

19. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to buy that very power amp you bought from Ebay!!!

If I'd have won the auction it would now be powering my new M&K S85's. I recommend you give these speakers a go, as they really are fantastic little things. Do a search on here and you'll see what I mean, Matt F even rated them equal in quality to his beloved Kef Reference 2-2's (I think that's the right model).

Whatever you decide, you've certainly got enough power to drive 'em :smashin:

Enjoy...

SMP

20. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi christer-r you state that you want set up for 60%music 40%av
    i currently use cdm1nt for fronts, lcr60 center, 600s3 for surrounds with denon 3802 av, i find (personally) that this set up is ok for av, but for music the cdm1nts are very detailed speakers "and take no prisioners with some cd recordings"

if the cds are not well recorded the cdms will show them up and tend to be fatiging to listen to,

the cdms+stands are £900, i would be inclined to at least demo other makes of speaker befor you finally decide something like dynaudio 62 floorstanders at about £600 or some other brands to at least compare with say b&W range befor commiting yourself.

whatever you decide to purchase make sure (THAT YOU CAN TRY AT HOME FIRST) even if its only the front pair of speakers.

audio-t for instance will allow you to try "gear at home" for i believe 10 days if not happy you can change items for simular price or above,

i must admit demoing can be a bit of a (pain) but it is better than possible purchasing (speakers) that you might not be happy within the longer term

21. christer_r

christer_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your feedback and your suggestions. I have decided to go for the CDMs:

9NTs for front
    CDM centre
    1NTs for rear
    + Van Den Hul interconnects and bi-wire speaker cable
    and a Atacama Equinox rack for the equipment.

As mentioned earlier I also got the Velodyne CHT-15 sub.

Now I can't wait to have it all set-up and play some nice music - and movies. I've already got a Sony 11HT projector, so the pieces are coming together. Mind you, this will be my first surround system... so I am quite excited. :D

Again - thank you all. Your input made my decision much easier.

Regards,
    Christer

PS. Would anybody know where to get a good deal on replacement lamps and a ceiling mount for the 11HT projector? Maybe this warrants a new thread...?

22. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    What equipment have you got for sources by the way (DVD player, etc)?

Victoria

23. christer_r

christer_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Victoria.

I will use my HTPC as source feeding VGA to my projector. I run powerstrip in 1366x768 and I find this to give me good quality dvd playback. I also feed TV through the HTPC over s-video into a Pixelview PlayTV HD card with the Conexant CX23881 chipset, running DScaler 4.1.5.

I'm looking forward to test the HTPCs ability for music playback when my new stuff arrives... I'll be looking to go digital from the onboard sound on the Asus A7N8X motherboard to the 1055. If this is not satisfactory I'll try my luck with the M-Audio Revolution card.

My HTPC is connected in a LAN to my "media server" which contains movies and music and currently has about 1TB of storage capacity. The server is currently running Windows but i used to have a RedHat linux 8.0 setup with software Raid-5 which also worked relatively well. I am likely to revert to the linux setup at some point soon as I want to try MythTV and the other linux based PVR solutions and also have TV distributed over the LAN using VideoLAN.

I am also thinking about setting up a PC to run VDR based on the LinuxTV project - if I get around to installing a satellite dish.

That said - I guess I might get a standalone CD player for convenience as well. I must admit I thought I'd be a cheapskate and go for something like a second-hand Rotel 965BX or perhaps a newer model... is that silly to choose a CD source such as this or would it still be OK? I've never heard the 965, but I've read very good things about it.

Regards,
    Christer

24. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Sounds good ... never got into HTPC stuff myself even though me and Steff are both computer techie type peeps.

Keep thinking of building a MP3 jukebox but never found the right interface - but would still use CD for majority of listening anyway. It's all time and money to build such things.

As for a CD player ... not sure how much you'd be looking at for a Rotel 965BX ... but maybe look at the Rotel RCD-02 (around £350) or even drop back to the NAD C521i ... probably be as good if not better than the old Rotel and you'd have backing of warranty ... S/H CD players you never know what kinda life they've led.