Question Speakers to go with new Sonos amp..?

stevewestern

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just got a new Sonos amp to add to my Sonos system and the Kef 104.2's I inherited are not likely to be staying, so I need some new floorstanding speakers that are not ugly, whatever that means. I'm told it means not too big, not black or white, so maybe walnut or oak, that kind of thing.
I'll be selling my AVI adm9's and their sub so budget will be up to about £1200.
I like a fairly laid back sound, do not like anything harsh and rarely listen at loud volume.
It's a long way to anywhere that sells anything, with Richer Sounds being about 60-odd miles away, so am likely to end up buying from them if not secondhand. I don't know if Richer Sounds allow any sort of home demoing, or if I can buy and return if I don't get on with them - does anybody ?
Room is just under 5m x 4m, fairly high ceiling and speakers can be about 40cm away from the back wall. Music is varied, but not headbanging, thrash, rap or opera - otherwise pretty much anything that is well recorded, so not much of today's pop !
The sort of things I've been reading up about are -
Fyne Audio 302 or 501
Monitor Audio Silver 200 or 300
Dali Opticon 6

Can anyone give me any ideas about how the above sound compared to each other, and what else I should look at - I'm happy to spend less.
Thanks in advance for any help !

Is it the new more powerful sonos?

I was going to suggest trying the q acoustic concept 40s as they are know to be sort of laid back, also I like q acoustics, but unfortunetely they are only white or black.

i'd say your post may gather some interest as not too many will have experience with your amplifier being so new. I would however say that in a room your size you could also get good stand mount speakers and stands that would/could fit the bill and your choices open up.

I recently got a pair of monitor audio silver 100s and they would have no bother in a room 5x4m on a nice set of stands, all in probably less than 800

I was going to suggest trying the q acoustic concept 40s as they are know to be sort of laid back, also I like q acoustics, but unfortunetely they are only white or black.

i'd say your post may gather some interest as not too many will have experience with your amplifier being so new. I would however say that in a room your size you could also get good stand mount speakers and stands that would/could fit the bill and your choices open up.

I recently got a pair of monitor audio silver 100s and they would have no bother in a room 5x4m on a nice set of stands, all in probably less than 800
I actually have a pair of Concept 40's for my computer - the colour there is fine..
As for stands - I'd prefer some floorstanders (just for the looks) but I'm certainly open to suggestions. I've just spoken to someone at Richer Sounds who said that taking some demo speakers home after payment for a few days trial at home may well be possible which will be a massive help if I end up with something from them.
Thanks for your help muljao !

I actually have a pair of Concept 40's for my computer - the colour there is fine..
As for stands - I'd prefer some floorstanders (just for the looks) but I'm certainly open to suggestions. I've just spoken to someone at Richer Sounds who said that taking some demo speakers home after payment for a few days trial at home may well be possible which will be a massive help if I end up with something from them.
Thanks for your help muljao !
That's great, good luck with demos

Last edited:
Thanks to you too - more to read up on. They do look rather good!
I think I might have a go at restoring the kefs while looking into new speakers - could be a fun project and something I've never tried before .

@stevewestern How are you getting on with the Sonos Amp? Did you ever hook it up to some floor standers?
Not yet...
I am refurbing some old Kef 104.2's which my wife hates the look of and hope to get them running in a few days - the Sonos amp has only been used for about 20 minutes running into my Concept 20's.
I did a brief demo (with a Sonos amp) of some Monitor Audio Silver 200's and some Dali Opticon 6's in a tiny Richer Sounds room with several other pairs of speakers in it - the 6's sounded rather bass heavy and too bright and in-your-face, the 200's sounded almost dull. However, I only had about 15 minutes and can't imagine it was a fair demo in any way.. The guy didn't know much about Sonos and couldn't find the settings on the app on his phone, so I've no idea if the loudness was on, which is the default setting I believe.
I'll report back when the Kef's are running - new capacitors, new tweeters, and repairs to the woofers, so I'm hoping they sound good even if they still don't get the thumbs up from my wife..

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom