Speakers to compliment a Sony STR-DG910 £200 - £500 range - Help advice or opinions?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bealios, Sep 17, 2007.

1. bealios

bealios
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I would start this thread as I imagine many people are faced with my predicament!

I've decided to opt for the Sony STR-DG910 for connectivity reasons, I want a user-freiendly full HDMI system where I can connect my PS3, Blu-ray, Sky HD and other consoles without any major problems. I know that the sound quality will not be up there with the STR-DA5200 etc, but as this is my first separates system I'm not prepared to spend £2,000 on an amp and speaker set up just yet!

So, given that I am aware of the sound limitations of the STR-DG910 (although I've heard from some reviews that it is impressive) I need to sort out some speakers.

I have a budget from £200 to £500. I would rather pay £200 obviously and I would only want to pay £500 if some of the clever souls on here are sure that speakers this expensive would not be wasted on the STR-DG910 - I'm worried that I might spend £500 on speakers which given sound limitations of amp would not really be worth it.

I've narrowed choices so far down to the following:

Tannoys EX5.1 (£179)
    KEF 2005 (£375)
    Mourdaunt Short Genie (£399)
    Mourdaunt Short Alumni (£499)
    Jamo A102 (£186)

I think the Sony STR-DG will be a popular amp so hopefully this thread and its responses will be useful to others as well.

Thanks in advance!

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    SVS 5.0, if you can stand the size/looks, are superior to all those, IMO, for £400.
    And definitely don't touch the cheaper end of your list :thumbsdow

3. SportBilly

SportBilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I am indeed facing the same choice having just purchased the sony STR-DG910 as my first amp and looking to pair it with a suitable set of 5.1 speakers.

Have you made your choice yet?

I'm leaning towards the new MS Alumni's. Would these be a good choice or any reason why not?